Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across Hurricane rotors and Torando calipers on a site called brakeman.com. Rotors are layered steel with internal cooling fins and are cryoed. Calipers are billet aluminum and are interchangeable side to side.

Has anyone had any experience with this setup. It looks really good, but is really pricey.

Many thanks in advance to all of you out there. :z:

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
sounds nice.. you should edit the website off your post however.. the moderators will do it for you ..
they are not a supporting vendor..

rules are: no linkey to non supp vendors..

if you bouught them... post some pix and let us all see them.. we are always interested in going fast "and stopping "
thx

·
Registered
891 Posts
No one makes steel rotors... well except these guys. It's a bad idea.

MYTH # 2 - RACING BRAKE DISCS ARE MADE FROM STEEL

To digress for a moment "steel discs" are a misnomer frequently used by people who should know better. This group includes TV commentators and drivers being interviewed. Except for some motorcycles and karts, all ferrous discs are made from cast iron - an excellent material for the job. While steel has a higher tensile strength,
cast iron is many times stronger than disc brake requirements. Its thermal transfer characteristics are significantly better than those of steel so that the heat generated at the interface between pad and disc is efficiently carried through the friction faces to the interior surface of the disc and into the vanes from where the heat is dissipated into the air stream. Cast iron is more dimensionally stable at elevated temperature than steel and is a better heat sink - so let us hear no more talk of "steel" brake discs.
I believe this is a quote from Carrol Smith.

·
Registered
107 Posts
GiroDisc is making outstanding discs for C-5s now

I have a prototype set on my Z06. ( they do a lot of Ferrari and Pcar stuff) Tried them out at the SpeedVenture event at California Speedway Infield last saturday.... outstanding results, no brake issues with very hard use. The discs are slotted and full floating with aluminum hats. 2 lbs lighter than stock in front and 3 lbs lighter in the rear. Plus you can change out just the ring for cheaper. The slots also are a wear indicator. Beautiful craftsmanship. I've had fade there at CA speedway before but not at all this time. I'm running stainless lines with Motul RBF 600 and Hawk HP+ pads in addition to the GiroDiscs. Very happy with the set up. Oli and those guys were quicker but I still ran 1:19 or so, ABS every lap, on street tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts