• Removed them

Votes: 31 32.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you leave yours in for added protection against bent shift forks? Or, since our trans' have internal stops, did you remove them?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I used to think they were not necessary, I have changed my mind and I now think there are a good thing. :z:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any basis for the change of opinion?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Any basis for the change of opinion?
To many folks bending shift forks and the stops help prevent damaging synchronizer's. Don't "bang" it or any other shifter into gear. Doing so can result in undue wear on the shift gate which acts as a shift stop. When the aluminum gate, which is part of the tranny case, becomes pounded out over time it permits overshifts which can allow the synchro keys, particularly the 4th gear synchro keys, to come out which results in 4th gear becoming stuck. For this reason it's a very good idea to use the shift stops that come with the Hurst.
:cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm also interested why people are changing there minds on the stops. I just installed mine last week. I did it without the stops. It is shorter for sure but super stiff. I don't really like how stiff it is. Although in the Hurst defense i drove a z06 with 14k miles on it with a Hurst and it felt perfect. So I'll give the shifter 5k miles before i try something else.

I had a question about the loctite. The instruction say "Put it to the tighest on 2nd gear and then back 1/4 of turn." Same for 3rd. Am i correct. But if this is true when does the loctite go on.

1. Do you actually back it out 1 and 1/4 turns, throw the loctite on, and screw it down 1 turn so a 1/4 turn is left so the loctite is in the threads.

2. Or do you throw the loctite on before u turn it all the way in and 1/4 turn back.

Not sure. Please help. I don't want to bend forks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You loctite before putting the stop in. The loctite doesn't instantly freeze up. It takes a little bit for it to work.

Also you can only damage your trans if you do very aggressive shifts and is the reason Hurst included shift stops with their "Performance" shifter. They assume the reason you bought the shifter is because you will be doing aggressive shifts. With this in mind you have thought GM would have stops for the OEM shifter because who wouldn't be aggressive with the Z06.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... I may re-install my stops, but I've had them out for two years w/ no ill efects.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
alchemistz06 said:
I'm also interested why people are changing there minds on the stops. I just installed mine last week. I did it without the stops. It is shorter for sure but super stiff. I don't really like how stiff it is. Although in the Hurst defense i drove a z06 with 14k miles on it with a Hurst and it felt perfect. So I'll give the shifter 5k miles before i try something else.

I too think its too stiff, I like the short throw, but dont get me wrong , the stock was just fine, If the Hurst loosens up then It will be way better then the stock but for now its just better in some ways and the stock is better in other ways, but Im not complaining, I got it as a gift, that makes it even better :thumb:

·
21,351 Posts
No stops here. I'm under the impression if you adjust them to where they do any good, the shifter will rattle. I don't bang my gears anyway so it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Hmmm... I may re-install my stops, but I've had them out for two years w/ no ill efects.
If your are not a power shifter and treat your tranny with respect you may be alright. Remember that Hurst did not engineer them in there for nothing :z:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... I do bang gears but have only gone to the drags 4 times w/ the car and made about 12 passes total the best being a 12.15 @117 on street tires. I do bang gears some... being that our tranny has internal stops you cannot overextend a gear and bend a fork, there's just no play. However, I guess over time you can wear the stop out then bend a fork, but you'd have to damage the internal stop first.

·
Registered
624 Posts
IT L GO said:
If your are not a power shifter and treat your tranny with respect you may be alright. Remember that Hurst did not engineer them in there for nothing :z:

not to sound like a jackass, but given the fact that the shifter resonates, I have to question how much Hurst really engineered.

anyhow, I do have the stops in my shifter . . . and my resonance is somewhat cured given the fact that i put tons of plumbing tape on the stick before I screwed the knob on . . .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 2002 Z06 with 39K and after my second DE and the first with the Hurst shifter (with the stops out) I lost 4th gear syncro and needed a new tranny. My friend at the dealer indicated that the lack of stops in that model tranny ( any pre 03 with the weak forks ) contributed to the trannys' demise. He set the shifter stops to fit the internal stops and I find that with hard acceleration, especially if I leave my hand on the shift knob, there is some vibration but that with ordinary driving the stops are completely transparent.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have the stops in, but back them out by 1/2 turn to eliminate the rattling of the shifter against the stops. At 1/4 turn my Hurst was hitting the stops to create that rattling noise.
My Hurst has been in for 2 years and like others "loosened up", but this spring I decided to try the light weight outside springs and found that the set screws had backed out to only 1/2 turn (Hurst recommends 3 1/2 turns). I had left the springs as is when I installed it 2 years ago assuming that Hurst had put loctite on them, I was wrong. I'm sure this is why mine was requiring less shift effort.
The lighter outside springs provide a much better shifting feel (less effort) than originally when installed out of the box, and I know there is loctite on the set screws now. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I used the stops on my 03 with 13K miles (11-12 of them with the hurst) and still managed to bend the 3-4 fork. At the moment the stops aren't being used. Thoughts guys? I haven't had the Z on the drag strip since 03, but I have driven it hard on the street in the interim. (but the NE crew knew that already)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
After seeing first hand my trans gutted. I saw that the the aluminum fork was bent (first failure) Then second failure I saw that the shaft keys were popped out under my third gear (stuck in gear) due to overflex or over movement of that gear on the shaft and once the keys pop out then you are stuck gear. I think that the gear housing made out of aluminum can flex somewhat and I am using my stops juts so I don't over shift the forks in the gear and create the same issue. I have had no problems since then. Yes I have a little more shifter rattle but you ought to hear the trans rattle with a G5X3 cam at idle with clutch out and the shifter rattle is not a issue after that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have mine in and used the recommended 1/4 turn back out, after a few thousand breaking miles it feels reall good, dont have any problems, it does rattle a little but its hard to tell with my MGW knob.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Left them in. I never understood the reasons for taking them out. Seems like a gd added safety measure.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts