Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the tension can be adjusted side to side , but I think its too stiff forward and backward, or getting in and out of gear, is that tension adjustable? and if How? I didnt see that part anywhere, thanx,

luis

·
Registered
103 Posts
I put the lightest springs that came with the Hurst in mine but it is still not easy shifting into or out of gears. As you said the tension via allen set screws and springs lightens up the side to side tension only. Some threads mention changing trans fluid to Synchromesh (GM) or aftermarket brands to reduce force required during shifting. Nice ET for a stock 03. I'll be happy if I can get mine into the mid 12's. Added a shift light to keep from bangin the rev limiter or shifting out too early.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think it is a "getting used to" thing. When I first installed the Hurst I thought it was very stiff and notchy. Now after just a few months, it almost seems too easy. The only mod I made to it was to use only the thin outer springs -- no inner springs and about two turns on the setscrews. I think going from 2nd to 3rd, it could make a slight difference. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
As delivered, mine had double springs on both sides and I found it too stiff. I have only the thinnest inner and outer springs in it now. After some time, I like it very well indeed. At the strip, thd shifting just happens with no real thought or caution required.

Since the stock shifter has no springs at all, I assume you could run your Hurst with no springs if you prefer. However, it might not find 3 and 4 as easily with no centering springs.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys, I'LL play around with a bit, I remember my pro5.0 shifter on my mustang made it a funner car to drive, and It was stiff but in a Mustang you are already in position to shift even if your not going to, the drivers positioning is diffrent, on the vette its a more sporty and relaxing position so the extra stiff is a bit much, but I still love it, Im just a prefectionist :jammin:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
The first time i drove mine after the install, thought i needed to start lifting weights.:lol:
Now, it feels like i can almost shift with 2 fingers. It will loosen up and get easier over time. I can pop mine out of gear now with just a flick of the palm coming to a stop.

Jack

·
Registered
612 Posts
I never thought mine was hard to get in or out of gears. In fact, I think mine is very smooth. I left mine the way it was, "right out of the box" and after a few weeks, it'll loosen up and you'll get more used to it.......all at the same time!
It's a great shifter! :jammin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the Hurst shifter, like many of the others, I too changed to the lightest inner and outer springs, plus I loosened up the set screws to fine tune it. Be sure and put some loc-tite on the threads of the set screws. You don'w want them coming out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Joe Bruntz said:
I love the Hurst shifter, like many of the others, I too changed to the lightest inner and outer springs, plus I loosened up the set screws to fine tune it. Be sure and put some loc-tite on the threads of the set screws. You don'w want them coming out.
As Joe mentioned... be sure to use the Loc-Tite on the set screws. I installed mine just as the Hurst came out of the box and as everyone says, the shifting tension gets easier. Last week I thought I would try the lighter outer springs, I then found the set screws had backed out and were held in only by a half turn (could be why the shifting tension keep getting easier). On mine, there was no Loc-Tite on the set screws from the factory. I now have the lighter outer springs only and the shift tension is firm but not excessive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts