Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very impressed with Pontiac's NEW 2006 Solstice

Coil Overs
Aluminum Frame/Unibody
2860#'s
Nice styling

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

The killer is that Mallett has already announced their version with:

Penske DA Coil Overs
LS2 V8
6 Speed Tremec

I think you might even be able to convince them to install a 427 LS7 in it.

This could be a winning combination in SCCA SM2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
Depending on where it is classed by SCCA in club racing it looks to give an option to a miata in SSB.

Sounds pretty sweet and should be quick and cheap.
:usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
I think the car may be better suited for T3, and this is especially true if the rumors of the Touring/Showroom Stock "consolidation" turn out to be true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
I saw one on the road the other day, and I was like "What the heck is that??" It looks AWESOME on the road. And for 20K? I would love to have one.

Are they already at dealers, or was the one that I saw a pre-production?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Saw one yesterday at our gtg at the dream cruise. he stopped with his wife in the car after seeing the Z06vette banner and wanted to check out my Z. I sat in it and was very impressed as well. clutch had a soft feel. his wifr doesn't drive a stick so he had to go pick her up at Gm and bring it home for the weekend. No pics as I am an idiot and left it home. He also spoke of Malett's Frankenstein solstice. loks to be a fun, affordable two seater that the wife would enjoy.

-Tony
 

·
Z06 Master
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
Zlicious said:
Are they already at dealers, or was the one that I saw a pre-production?
Looks like they won't be available until early '06. It's a pretty cool looking car although the new for '06 Miata is a little easier on the eyes and has about the same power or should I say lack of power. Both cars are screaming for a turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Z06phile said:
Looks like they won't be available until early '06. It's a pretty cool looking car although the new for '06 Miata is a little easier on the eyes and has about the same power or should I say lack of power. Both cars are screaming for a turbo.


You know, you can get a factory turbocharged Miata....of course, it's still a Miata. I was stuck in traffic yesterday beside a guy in a Miata, wearing one of those funny sportscar hats, and for over 10 blocks, he was too embarassed to even turn his head. :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
Have you guys seen the Saturn Sky? Even better looking imo. God, only if one of these 2 cars were AWD...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
The Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice are awesome looking. Just think you could buy 3 of 'em for the price of a new Z06. Hmmm . . . the wife may be needing a new car by end of the year. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
DJWorm said:
I am very impressed with Pontiac's NEW 2006 Solstice

Coil Overs
Aluminum Frame/Unibody
2860#'s
Nice styling

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

The killer is that Mallett has already announced their version with:

Penske DA Coil Overs
LS2 V8
6 Speed Tremec

I think you might even be able to convince them to install a 427 LS7 in it.

This could be a winning combination in SCCA SM2
Damn...it looks really really nice. GM has finally got the design act together and created something other than a Vette that I would buy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,603 Posts
If you consider the Solstice/Sky starts with the EcoTech 4-banger, and in it's OEM form the block/crank will support 500 hp, just imagine a massaged/turbo'd version (they've been "around" for several years...was an EcoTech -based 7-second Cavalier that took John Lingenfelter "out"...), who needs the LS2? Insurability, weight-savings, better weight distribution, lower costs (priced an LS2 crate engine, let alone the driveline upgrades?)..."sleeper" comes to mind...
ALL pm's and inquiries gratefully acknowledged...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,083 Posts
PowerPro01 said:
If you consider the Solstice/Sky starts with the EcoTech 4-banger, and in it's OEM form the block/crank will support 500 hp, just imagine a massaged/turbo'd version (they've been "around" for several years...was an EcoTech -based 7-second Cavalier that took John Lingenfelter "out"...), who needs the LS2? Insurability, weight-savings, better weight distribution, lower costs (priced an LS2 crate engine, let alone the driveline upgrades?)..."sleeper" comes to mind...
ALL pm's and inquiries gratefully acknowledged...
Humm...sounds as strong as the little SRT-4 (engine) I have to toy around with but in a much better looking car without the Neon stigma attached. Might have to look into one of these or the Saturn as a replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
I keep thinking about the Sky. I think it looks much better than the Solstice... it just hurts soooo much to admit WANTING a Saturn :lol:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,354 Posts
It's a nice looking car but I don't think my big butt would fit inside one. I once got stuck trying to set inside a Miata. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Looks like a future GM orphan to me.

2860 lb is only 255 lb less than Z06

"Cute" styling with high insurance premium

What is an Aisin transmission?

Sounds like Fiero to me, lots of potential, but time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,096 Posts
Saw the protype Solstice several years ago at the NAIAS, and liked it from the git go....Pontiac will sell 'em like hotcakes.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top