Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the front brake duct screens from LAPD. How am I supposed to install these things. No instructions, brackets or mounting hardware included.

Just 2 screens cut with wire snips (the edges are sharp--no rubber gasket like the OEM ZO6 screen).

$45.00---anyone know how I am supposed to install?

Jeff Nation

Supercharger site is updated

http://www.chantalray.homestead.com/ati.html

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
That sounds cheesy:(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Jeff -- Yeah, the directions are lacking, but what I found is that you don't need to do them per the directions anyway. So, I'll tell you how I did them.

Instead of going through the headlight and whatnot (something I wasn't interested in getting in to), you can put them in right through the duct openings in the facia. First, with your fingers, push the duct back and down a bit so that the top front edge of the duct is exposed in the opening of the facia. Next, CAREFULLY (it's actually easy to do carefully) slip the screen through the facia opening (slip it in like you'd put a letter into a slot), and leverage it (BEHIND the panited surface so as to not scratch the paint) so that you get it essentially flush with the opening. At this point the screen may be "in place" in the opening, but the duct may still be pushed down and back -- but at least the screen should be in a postion such that the top edge of the duct is holding it in plcae. ULTIMATELY, THE SCREEN IS HELD IN PLACE FIRMLY BY SITTING SNUGGLY JUST INSIDE THE FRONT "RIM" OF THE DUCT (and pinning it against the back of the facia opening).

Getting the screen into the facia opening and pinned against the front is the easy part. The not-as-easy part is getting the duct back into position such that the screen is inside of the duct. Since the duct is pushed down, and since the screen goes in the duct, you'll be doing a combination of pushing the SCREEN downward while getting the duct back up into place. Try using a combination of small screwdrivers to push the screen downward to meet the opening of the duct while lifting up (through the screen) on the duct to bring it back into place. NOTE: The screens are not soldered, so pushing too hard with a screwdrive on one of the outer-edges of the screen may result in pulling that wire of screen apart (so use care).

The first one will take a little getting used to to find the right combination of getting the screen into place. The second one should be a breeze after determining how you got the first one in.

A couple tips/tricks: Make sure that the screens are oriented such that they follow the shape of the duct they're going into. Again, they are held in place by the duct, and follow the shape of the duct -- so, if you're trying to get them in when they're actually "backward," I imagine it won't work properly. Also, take a look at the curvature of the facia opening, and determine if your screens need to be curved a little to follow the facia curve. The facia opening is bowed, and so the screen should be bowed so that they sit flush through the entire opening. You'll want to determine this BEFORE you go about getting them in place.

Good luck!

-Kirk

PS -- VTR, whereas this is another cosmetic mod that is subject to debate over how good it looks, I can tell you that these screens provide a SUBTLE, finished look to the front end that goes perfectly with the stock screens. Nothing cheesey about it, IMO. It might "sound" cheesey, but it sure doesn't look it.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Don't know if this will help but,

If you can get your hands on the shop manual (Volume 3 of 3), page 8-840 and 841 have a detailed procedure for removing/replacing the brake caliper cooling duct. Since all you need to do is get at the front of the duct, it looks like a pretty straight forward procedure for loosening the duct at the fascia. Looks like only one small piece (the close out panel) needs to actually be removed first. From there it's a case of removing about a half dozen small bolts to loosen up the front of the duct.

Sorry, wish I was able to send you the pages in the manual as a guide.

Good luck with the install.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
jnation said:
That's it?! No praise? No MONEY?! LOL :)

It's really not that tough once you know how to go about it (and how they're going to ultimately be held in place.

Let me know if you need more help!

-Kirk

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
jnation said:
I bought the front brake duct screens from LAPD. How am I supposed to install these things. No instructions, brackets or mounting hardware included.

Just 2 screens cut with wire snips (the edges are sharp--no rubber gasket like the OEM ZO6 screen).

$45.00---anyone know how I am supposed to install?

Jeff Nation

Supercharger site is updated

http://www.chantalray.homestead.com/ati.html
Jnation,

Secound item in the links section is how to install:
http://www.c5frc.com/LAPDScreenInstall/default.htm

·
Registered
638 Posts
A flash would of been nice.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
KMeloney said:
PS -- VTR, whereas this is another cosmetic mod that is subject to debate over how good it looks, I can tell you that these screens provide a SUBTLE, finished look to the front end that goes perfectly with the stock screens. Nothing cheesey about it, IMO. It might "sound" cheesey, but it sure doesn't look it.
Oh, I wasn't commenting on the looks, just the fact that he just recieved bare screens and no instructions or brackets. I thought they would have some sort of rubber weather strippeng around them like the intake screens do.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
VettTheRipper said:

Oh, I wasn't commenting on the looks, just the fact that he just recieved bare screens and no instructions or brackets. I thought they would have some sort of rubber weather strippeng around them like the intake screens do.
IMHO: I too am hoping the next edition will have the rubber surronds to match the factory looks......

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just put mine in last weekend. I started installing them with the web link that IMA Z06 posted. Forget that! I put mine in the same way Kirk did and it was really quick and easy. I used a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. It really looks sharp when it's done. Kirk's got the instructions perfect.

Paul
:z:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
VettTheRipper said:

Ahhh... I hear you! Yeah, I've pretty much PLEADED for someone to make an exact duplicate of the OEM screens for the lower openings, complete with a black surround and more a flush-mount application -- but to no avail.

I guess I just don't see why someone with some experience in plastics can't go ahead and take screens like what LAPD provides and put a black plastic molding around it. I've got the LAPD screens in now, and they DO look good -- but one just like the stock ones would go RIGHT in their place if someone would just MAKE THEM!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Has anyon installed the side fender vent screens? Were they hard to install?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
Has anyon installed the side fender vent screens? Were they hard to install?
Yep.... I have the side and rear screens on my car.

Both of these install with 3M tape.... very simple.

For the side ones..... simply remove the front wheels and unscrew about 6 bolts to gain access the vent area. Apply the screens..... retighten bolts.... put wheels back on and you're done!

Simple as that..... hope this helps! :)

BTW..... nothing but compliments on this mod. A nice subtle touch like Kirk said.... :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
jnation said:
I have completely pulled my front brake duct tubes in order to put the twin intercoolers there----so my problem is a little unique now.

Jeff
I have a Procharger ordered and I plan to mold ducts to feed air to intercoolers. May be able to incorporate screens into those. Will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found that taking a coat hanger and bending it to the sharpest angle possible and cutting it sharply formed a small "J" like end. Place this through one of the screen's openings and you can hook and pull the screen into place with some needle nose pliers to assist. Although the rubber around the screens might have been nice, you'd never see it the way these screens fit. The side gill screens are easy to install and instructions were included with them. As someone already mentioned, they get compliments. I'll be ordering the rear ones soon, just to finish the car off. Thanks again Shawn.

Rick

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ZO6Vette said:
Although the rubber around the screens might have been nice, you'd never see it the way these screens fit.
That's just the point that's being made here, Ric -- It'd be nice to have screens with the black rubber/plastic around them 'cause then they would fit and look just like the stock ones, and NOT "the way these screens fit."

These screens DO look great on the car... But more stock-like ones would sure be even better.

-Kirk

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I just got around to installing my screens today and I used Kevin Meloney's modified technique. I pushed the duct in and down, pre bent the screen to fit the slight curve.

I popped the screen in but couldn't get the bottom to seat.
The key was some manoevering with small needle nose and a modified bobby pin. I straightened it out and made a small 1/4" "J" hook and a finger pull loop on the other end. A slight tug and presto.

Another thing I noticed when I first disslodged the duct that there was a rattle. I finally figured out that each one had a handful of gravel in it. Shop Vac to the rescue.

I also noticed a little 2" dimple in my left factory screen. About the size of a Sparrow I presume.!! Bobby Pin to the rescue again. Restored the contour.

·
Registered
167 Posts
brake duct screen install

easier than you think. First take plain paper masking tape and tape completely around inside of brake duct to protect paint. then see if screen slides in easily if not bend gently to contor of duct. sometimes some of the ends of screen can be slightly overlong can bend with needle nose pliers now gently slip screen into opening and it will lodge in the first groove of accordian hose of brake duct. center with needle nose pliers and you are done. really its a piece of cake. By the way don't forget to remove the paper tape. luck AJB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts