Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could it be.

I was getting on it in second and third over a long bridge at night, at the top of third I was going to put it in 4th, but accidently went to second ( I've been having problems with this shifter since day one) Anyway active handling kicked in, tires locked up, and the revs skyrocketed.

Now, my CEL is on. There is a loud ticking coming from the motor, and a loud knocking coming from the rear (I think it's the tranny) when I put the clutch in, the noise disappears. If I put the car in 6th and give it some gas it very violently shakes the whole car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont know alot but ticking in the motor most of the time is a broken piston. Accelerating in 6th puts alotta load on the motor and the piston could be the reason it shakes. Sorry to hear about ur troubles...but these things happen. i would say worste case scenerio IMO. Rob
Ps. I really dont know alot! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry to say, but it sounds like something got seriously damaged. You're not the first guy to go into 2nd when he thought he was going into 4th. Was it the stock shifter, or an aftermarket shifter?

Remember to always let the centering springs position the shifter on the 3rd/4th gear gates before going for the right gear ... that's the key IMO to not hit a wrong gear.

Hope it's not too bad ... let us know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
do a compression check also to see if there were any bent valves.in my sierra 3500 i was resting my hand on the shifter and dropped it down a gear on the highway let me say this it wasnt pretty bouncing off the limiter and back tires lit up. in the end i was makin the same engine noise and did a compression check 5 mins later im online ordering 4 new exhaust valves :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Remember to always let the centering springs position the shifter on the 3rd/4th gear gates before going for the right gear ... that's the key IMO to not hit a wrong gear.
This is the best advice one can give - or get.

Even with the stock shifter, it is almost impossible to miss 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th if you relax and let the spring guide you.

With regard to the rd to 2nd over-rev - it could very easily be something major... going from 3rd to 2nd at 5000rpm would force the motor to spin about 7500rpm I think.

Hope it's not too bad, but sounds terminal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I wouldn't start the car any more. I would pull the valve covers and see if you have any broken valve springs or anything else messed up. If not...I'd pull the heads...it sounds like you had a valve hit a piston. As RC45 said...good luck. :(

xxxeditxxx

I'd pull the spark plugs and look into the hole with a flashlight first. You should be able to see if you messed a piston up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rev limiter protection

Shouldn't the rev limiter provided protection from over-reving the engine and prevented engine damage? Isn't that what the rev limiter is for?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
imgrcomm said:
Shouldn't the rev limiter provided protection from over-reving the engine and prevented engine damage? Isn't that what the rev limiter is for?
It helps on accelerating within a gear, but shifting into the wrong gear is a different story. As the others said, it does not sound good.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Does not sound good BUT the good part is that I see it is a 2003 and should still be under warranty.

Tow it in and say it broke.

BTW: while the engine is being worked on is a good time to look at changing cam and heads or maybe a better clutch.

My rule of thumb is tip the tech before he starts, he will take better care of you. Throw him a 20. You will benefit in the end.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry to hear. Bent pushrods for sure, maybe more. Let us know what the dealer says. :cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have no doubt there are bent pushrods in the motor. I just got over that. Just got the car out of the shop and there were 6 bent pushrods and they replaced them all for free. You missed a shift, thats not your fault. They made the car with a shifter!!!!HAAAAAAhaaaa. Definitely mention bent pushrods. Dr.Bigg out. :cry:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ran the codes, and cleared them. The only relevant one is P0300 Which is Engine Misfire Detected. So I'm assuming that it could be bent pushrods, so it's misfiring. Maybe it's bad valves too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
At the very least, you probably bent pushrods.

You may have bent valves too if they hit the pistons. The pistons could be 'eyebrowed', but I doubt they're destroyed. You would have seen pieces of the rotating assembly spread out on the road if you blew up a piston.

Could have hurt a valve spring too, but I doubt that.

The sound from the back could be anything. If the car still moves under its own power than maybe you broke (at least) partially the rubber couplers on the driveshaft.

Shaking under load isn't a big deal, if your car is misfiring then it will do that.

Fix the engine stuff first and then see if the car still shakes/makes noise under load. It may go away due to clearing up the misfire.

Dope

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you have an aftermarket shifter,put back your original shifter and have it towed to the dealer :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts