Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only put 4500 miles since I had my tranny rebuilt for the first time and it's happened again. The way it went was very unlike the first time where the syncros started to grind until it finally stopped shifting right. This time I left hard, powershifted second and then BLAM! The car was well into second gear and it just broke :(
Symptoms: neutral in all gears w/ a bit of grinding noises. I don't think I shattered any gears, just screwed up the forks or synchros again. It is such a nice day I'm not gonna let it get to me.
I had the car flat bedded over to MTI where I will have Jeff fix it again. I hope it's nothing too bad. I'd like to have her back before next weekend.

#2 going on #3...:mad:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sorry Bub!:(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

I know I'm gonna be dealing with transmission problems/failures with my style of driving but, damn, this one didn't last near long enough.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Cemo,

Did you get your traany fixed? What happened to it.. And what the H**** did you do to break it?

Hope it's ok now.....

Ernie

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ernie- Yes, I had the tranny rebuilt already once at 20k miles. I damages the 3rd-4th gear synchros. At first, the tranny would grind during that shift only when powershifting but after a while it started to grind all the time no matter how hard I shifted. Eventually it would not shift at all, any gear, without major effort. MTI did a good job and had me back on the road with M12 replacement synchro parts.

This time it looks like I broke the input shaft. This is only a preliminary diagnosis because the tranny won't be out of the car again until later this week. I have ordered a steel fork for 3rd-4th gear. It will be installed along with whatever else is needed, hopefully just a replacement input shaft.

I'm known for breaking trannies all the time because I beat the hell out of them when racing. I practice the "no lift shift" technique. There is too much mass envolved to get away with it for a long time. Thanks to Brian I should have a backup M6 on the way real soon. That one will get sent off the Liberty Transmission for a full beef up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disassembly is done!

Diagnosis: The main/top shaft of transmission is snapped in two :eek:

Prognosis: With 'Vette withdrawl at maximum levels, a ray of sunshine has broken through the dense fog that covers Brokenvetteland. Next 'Vette "fix" should be in a week or less :p :D

Notes: I have been quoted ~$300 for the shaft. I'm gonna add a steel 3rd-4th shift fork from D&D Perf., an unrestricted master cylinder line and all new synchros during this rebuild.

I have been doing a lot of research on upgrade parts/mods that are available for the T-56. If you'd like to see the results lemme know and I'll post 'em.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting better!!!:D
Like I've said before, "If you weren't so far away I'd come down and give you a ride".

Looks like, just in time for Christmas Quarter Miling.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Cemo, maybe you should consider this::eek:

http://www.lencoracing.com/st12.html

On a serious suggestion, I think Jerico has some beefy pieces for the straight cut gear fans. I have some experience with their racing stuff. They make REAL racing transmissions. It's them and Hewland as far as I'm concerned.

The Jerico five speeds are noiser than a Muncie "rock crusher" but they are hard to break. The drag racing trannie requires double clutching to downshift smoothly, at least the one I drove did. Their roadracing tranny is no doubt a better shifter in the twisties. It shifts a fast as you do. I had a chance for a spin in a TransAM car with this trannie and it is SWEET SWEET.

You can talk to Jerico and they might have some suggestions, they are EXCELLENT and their site includes pricing info too:

http://www.jericoperformance.com/

or maybe...

SVSI offers some upgrade stuff for T56 viper dudes.
I'm not involved with Viper racing stuff so I don't have any experience dealling with these folks, just know they are out there.

Scroll down once you get here:

http://www.supervipersystems.com/Performance_Programs/Driveline/driveline.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian- I started a new thread in here for info and further discussion :D

1fast- As you'll see from my new post you were spot on with your suggestions. SVSi is a company that I'm currently talking to about upgrade parts and a possible Jerico 5-speed for our cars!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Cemo said:
Brian- I started a new thread in here for info and further discussion :D

1fast- As you'll see from my new post you were spot on with your suggestions. SVSi is a company that I'm currently talking to about upgrade parts and a possible Jerico 5-speed for our cars!

:cheers:
Great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts