Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding a alky injection kit to my I/C Magnuson Z, but I have heard a couple of different things about it. That it doesn't really help a I/C supercharger only the non. What is your option or have some of you tried it and what are the results? Thanks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Chris L said:
I was thinking of adding a alky injection kit to my I/C Magnuson Z, but I have heard a couple of different things about it. That it doesn't really help a I/C supercharger only the non. What is your option or have some of you tried it and what are the results? Thanks
I just finished installing a ESC kit but have not had it running yet. It will help any forced induction car. It basically is like running race gas to prevent detonation & cools the intake charge dramaticaly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have an IC mag and am running the AlkyControl kit using straight methanol. I am seeing gains of ~75 hp down low to ~ 40hp top end. HTH

·
Registered
286 Posts
Chris,

My understanding was that once you put the ALKY kit on, we can change the pully and up the boost and thats how you increase your current HP. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am also thinking about adding ECS ALKY kit to my IC MAG zo6.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Its on my list of things to do :lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
zohhhsix said:
Chris,

My understanding was that once you put the ALKY kit on, we can change the pully and up the boost and thats how you increase your current HP. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am also thinking about adding ECS ALKY kit to my IC MAG zo6.
Well you can up your boost some due to the cooler IAT's and cooler fuel/air charge and not worry about detonation. The methanol itself also adds into the combustion process and increased HP gains. I am not too sure the pulley alone is respnosible for giving me the initial 75hp gains seen on the dyno.
The ECS kit is comprised of AlkyControl parts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks Fox!!

I guess its worth the $$$ if we can add 75rwhp by getting the ecs alky kit. I will call Chris and Doug at ECS and get more info.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
zohhhsix said:
Thanks Fox!!

I guess its worth the $$$ if we can add 75rwhp by getting the ecs alky kit. I will call Chris and Doug at ECS and get more info.

Here is a thread over at the CF site for your reading pleasure.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1045992

Bear in mind that this was with LS1 heads and a non-IC Maggie, so the results are quite impressive.

I think what Fox has said is very true. :yeadog: Don't just consider the hp gains from alky injection. The benefit of helping to avoid any detonation (particularly in the dead of summer) by cooling the charge in itself is a worthwhile investment for a FI application. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I just may have to try the Alky kit out. If you guys know anyone that has tried it on a intercooled Mag have them post thier results.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Chris L said:
If you guys know anyone that has tried it on a intercooled Mag have them post thier results.
HTH

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alky setup

Is there a Alky kit that is better an others or are they all about the same? I have been looking at the ECS and Snow Performance.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Bringing back this thread...

I stopped at my favorite Italian restauraunt last night to pick up some takeout. The kid behind the counter (real nice kid who loves my car) took me outside to the lot and showed me the new alky injection system he just put in his new Evo. I put my hand on the intake, as he revved the engine that sucker got freezing cold under my hand. Pretty cool. I think these systems are pretty inexpensive based on what he said.

Kid has to make a trip up to CT to find a 4 wheel dyno to tune his car on. No 4 wheel dynos on LI he says ?

So I'm wondering about this just like you guys. BP Fox, can you fill me in ? I think I understand how it works, but I'm not sure about how it sets up in a Magnusson car. I'd love my intake to be blowing super freezin' cold air into my Mag, but I don't want to break anything, also I'm wondering if this would require retuning.(?)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'll hafta check my intake to see if it gets that much cooler but my Tuner told me my IAT's dropped like 45* if I remember correctly.

The prob with the mag is the alky is sprayed pre compressor. I would think it would be best to spray after being squeezed/heated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts

I was wondering the same. I would think it would help it definitely does with my turbo car. I m looking for a zo6 to buy and given the compression ratio of the zo6 I would say you cant run too much boost. I mean my SS is 9.0 to 1 and the zo6 has to be somewhere around 11.5 so unless you change the heads you have to find a way to keep detonation down. So I was thinking meth.

KCMAGS said:
I just finished installing a ESC kit but have not had it running yet. It will help any forced induction car. It basically is like running race gas to prevent detonation & cools the intake charge dramaticaly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont know if the IAT sensor would correctly adjust to the flashing of meth or alch. to correctly show the IAT's. Either way it = lower air temps so w or w/o the larger pulley there are gains to be had.

B_P_fox said:
I'll hafta check my intake to see if it gets that much cooler but my Tuner told me my IAT's dropped like 45* if I remember correctly.

The prob with the mag is the alky is sprayed pre compressor. I would think it would be best to spray after being squeezed/heated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
967 Posts
B_P_fox said:
That dyno tells me your loosing alot of power (boost) at 4000rpm and especially after 6000 rpm. The dyno dropping off and it jumping is a good indication of some substantial belt slip.
You stand to gain noticable HP and your torque wouldn't dip & drop off like that with an 8-rib system like ECS's.
Add ECS's bigger crank and add M/C's 90mm throttlebody and you'd likely gain another 4 lbs. of boost.
You'd be knocking a 600/600 easy . . . :sneaky:

·
Registered
378 Posts
tlaselva said:
That dyno tells me your loosing alot of power (boost) at 4000rpm and especially after 6000 rpm. The dyno dropping off and it jumping is a good indication of some substantial belt slip. . . . :sneaky:
That Dyno was from my first runs. We have since tweaked a bit. I was on the rollers last night and w/ out alky put out 550.7 to the ground with a torque curve as flat as the horizon ;) I have the dyno chart, just need to scan it in. The power is there ... Be Sure.

I would think in my case belt slippage is not the issue here. More likely fuel delivery on the '04 could use some help. we'll tweak on the fuel pump and go from there.

Cheers

·
Registered
967 Posts
B_P_fox said:
I would think in my case belt slippage is not the issue here. More likely fuel delivery on the '04 could use some help. we'll tweak on the fuel pump and go from there.
I doubt it's a fuel issue.
If it was a fuel issue, the fuel pressure would drop dramatically, or your injectors would go static during the tune which should be obvious to your tuner on the dyno. Talk to your tuner, and see what he has to say about it.
Additionally, Alky acts like high octane fuel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts