Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just loaded my car to go to the track tomorrow and cant get out of it. I recently lowered it on the stock bolts. Last year my door would just clear the wheel covers on the trailer (18' open trailer). now they wont clear it and there is not enough room for me to get out. I had to climb out of the window but then I have to leave the window open while the car is on the trailer. what if I have to stay at a hotel for future track events? what are my options? I thought of putting boards on the trailer but then I worry about the car sliding off of them. I am sure some one else has had this dilemma.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I would bolt a couple of boards on the trailer. Maybe even with a bump stop on them. It sure beats sleeping in the car. :sneaky:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Get the boards to raise the car, like the Cave Man said or continue to climb out the window and buy yourself a window valet, so you can close your windows with your remote.

Sal

·
Registered
403 Posts
salvador said:
buy yourself a window valet, so you can close your windows with your remote.

Sal
That was going to be my suggestion.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Z06_19ui said:
That was going to be my suggestion.
Same here...I loved my window valet. :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
As others have said the window valet or boards. :yeadog:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ditto on the window valet! It has a few useful functions besides opening/closing the windows too. The thing is pretty slick...and uses your factory fob.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1) put a winch on your trailer and winch the car up. You don't need the ebrake anyway and you never tow in gear. Race cars have no ebrake
Also helps when you have an off that makes it not possible to drive on the trailer. 1500lb winch does fine. You can even use a boat hand winch bolted to your trailer front end.

2) get out the window, jack car up and that unloads suspension and it will stay that way. Lower it down and it will stay rasied about an inch so you can open the door. If the suspension settles while towing use the jack again

3) cut the fender off the driver's side of trailer. Then add in the articulating fender. Search for trailer supplies and trailer contruction supplys. Buy the fender and have the local welder put it on.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
easiest solution is i think what i do, i pull the car as far up on the trailer as possible, get out close the door, make sure the trailer is level then i just push the car back a few feet while its in neutral and strap it on. I always chock behind the wheel so it doesn't roll too far :)

when its nice weather I pull the car window open

·
Registered
299 Posts
The board sound like an easy fix but I'll bet they create another problem.With the additional height of the boards the bottom of the car is going to start hitting as you come onto the trailer. The removable fender is most likely going to be your best bet.I went through this 3 years ago. With the board idea it starting looking like a fire drill with different boards correcting different problems.
Tony #54

·
Registered
154 Posts
Install hydraulics on the car, raise it up when you are ready to get out. Purchase a Hydraulics Valet so you can lower it when you get out. :ity:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I put my car on the trailer, climbed out the window, tied off the front of the car, and jacked up the rear just enough to open the door and close the window. Lowered the car and strapped it down.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
If your a thin guy you can always leave the windows up and crawl out through the trunk. I think there is a picture of someone doing this after they got stuck on their trailer. :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
fatbillybob said:
3) cut the fender off the driver's side of trailer. Then add in the articulating fender. Search for trailer supplies and trailer contruction supplys. Buy the fender and have the local welder put it on.
Our new trailer has a drivers side removable fender. Makes life much easier plus a removable electric winch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
If your a thin guy you can always leave the windows up and crawl out through the trunk. I think there is a picture of someone doing this after they got stuck on their trailer. :rofl: :rofl:
I have had to do this before we got the Window Valet.

I crawled over the harness bar, then snaked out thru the trunk. It was very amusing for spectators.

Our racing slicks are slightly taller, so the door opens. When using Z06 tires the door hits the trailer fenders.

You can also put just one 2" x 4" under the front left tire.

Janet

·
Registered
350 Posts
mooch said:
I just loaded my car to go to the track tomorrow and cant get out of it. I recently lowered it on the stock bolts. Last year my door would just clear the wheel covers on the trailer (18' open trailer). now they wont clear it and there is not enough room for me to get out...
Well first of all, raise the car back up...you've screwed up your suspension and it's not working properly any more.

2d, the easiest way to fix this problem is just add a board on one side which will tilt the car up enough for you to open the door and get out

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
that was rudy.. kaya's husband.. there is a photo out there somewhere.. i was looking for it too....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts