Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not impressed. Believe it or not, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. If I could only have one it would be the Z06. I made the right decision. I hated the clutch, very hard. I am guessing it is a mechanical clutch. It didn't have nearly as much low end torque as the Z (probably the gearing). When going around a corner in third gear it bogged forcing me to shift into second, in my Z I could have been in 4th and got less bog (again the gearing). It sounded terrible. The Z sounds so much better and has alot more room inside. Granted, it was just a short test drive and I couldn't really realize the full potential of the car. I would love to have been able to stomp on it and see what that baby would do but had to respect the future owner of the car. If I didn't know better I would say the Z is faster (I know it isn't) but the Z definetly feels better on the street. Do I still want a Viper, of course, just not as much. If anybody out there wants to let me drive their Viper to its full potential to try to change my feelings bring em on. ;) In conclusion, the Viper is a really neat car that I still would love to own but its a little crude and has nothing on Z06 except maybe the paint (nice paint on them vipers, no orange peel) and a couple of tenths in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A guy here in town, you name it he HAS or has had it.
Z8 BMW, TT Porsche, Vipers (note plural) lots of MB's including AMG, had an 01 Z06, and just got an 02 Z06. I was talking to him back in the spring ant told him I was in the market for a Viper, he said save your money, buy the Z06. Then the word was out on 405hp, he sells the 01 and orders the 02. gets the 02 late summer and then tells me you MUST get the 02 Z06. I listened and haven't looked back.
As Agent said, yeah if I had the xtra $$ (I DON'T), I would have one for play, just like several Viper owners themselves have the best of both worlds and have both:D I'm glad I made the choice I did, they are BOTH great cars:) Maybe when I hit the lottery I can buy the McLaren F1, slightly used Ferrari F50 or F40, and an oldie but goodie a BMW M1. Oh well time to wake up:lol:
:cheers:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only wish I could afford both.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I have not had the chance to drive one. but people say the down low torque is something to write home about!!! I guess it's pretty powerful!!!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I drove a '99 GTS with 8k miles on it. I had $55k to spend on a performance car. I wanted the best car in this price range...no matter who made it. For me it was down to a used Viper vs. new Z06 vs. new M3.

The GTS I drove seemed to be awfully tight. No rattles and such. The torque was very nice, but I have a car that has substantially more torque, so it wasn't overwhelming (like I was scared to use it). Here were my impressions:

-great torque, but the car is all over the place. Tractability is not that of the Z06.
-brakes aren't even close to the Z06. However, the '99 GTS does not have ABS.
-handling is probably very good, but the car is harder to drive at the limit compared to the Z06 (which, IMHO, you can jump in and go beat on and not worry as much about killing yourself). So, for a novice driver open track driver, or one who is not familiar with the car, you cannot drive it as hard as the Z06. So you would certainly go slower.
-seating is strange. the large trans tunnel impedes the area enough so that your legs are slightly offset to the left. For someone with a lot of seat time this probably isn't a big deal, but it also led to me feeling less comfortable driving the car hard.
-visibility is worse than in the Z06.
-fit and finish of the interior compared to the Z06 is not even close...again, this was a 2+ yr old car.

I chose to order a Z06 b/c I can drive this car harder than I ever would be able to the GTS (at least the model year I was considering). The car will not be my daily driver, so seat time will be limited somewhat. I also wanted something a bit more refined...I already have a hot-rod. Aftermarket parts are cheaper for the Z. And...I will purchase the Z for over $10k less than my original budget. :D

I did not get to drive an M3, but I have a family hauler, and I know I'd like the car but soon it would not be fast enough for my tastes.

Still ~6 weeks to wait for mine.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Buying the Z06 was/is the right choice.

I too wanted a hi-po car, and wasn't really concerned about brand-loyalty. It has been 15 years since I was into cars and the "relationships" are not there anymore.

However, I have had a few Chrysler products as daily drivers (LHS & 300M), and while they were fine as commuters, their quality and image left alot to be desired.

The Z06 is another matter.

Quality is there (not like my father's S500 Benz, tho'), performace is there, and it has history.

The Viper just doesn't make it, IMHO. No disrespect to Viper owners, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
We traded in a 99 GTS about 6 months ago. I drove the car several times and I must say IT AINT GOT NUTTIN ON THE Z. The car is very loud inside and out. As stated above the way you have to sit in the car is crazy. If you get into it in 1st gear hold on cause it will be all over the road (no trac control or active handling) The car does have big time low end torque but you cant hold it in the road. As for handling goes not even in the same ball park. JMHO.:)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
well there ya go

I knew ole Norman woud chime in with that sneaky smile of his:D
He's got 'em both!:)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Re: well there ya go

fyrcaptain said:
I knew ole Norman woud chime in with that sneaky smile of his:D
He's got 'em both!:)
What can I say, I just love cars. They make me :) and :) and :D .

I guess I am just addicted. :cheers:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
But oh what a grand and glorious clown shoe it is. :lol:

Causes accidents in traffic from the stares and smiles it brings.

Well, I am off to drive my tupperware to work now. hahhaa :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts