Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was about 45 degrees out last night. I was at a light and a Suburban pulled up next to me. Light turned green and he punched it. I started accelerating and sure enough, the rear end started sliding. I was in Competitive mode. I took him but it was not an easy kill due to the loss of traction in 1st and 2nd. When it is cooler out like this, the cars torque is a lot harder to control (like a Viper).

In my 99 coupe, I used to love driving in the cold weather because I could break the tires loose more easily (fun factor :D ). But with the Z06, I think that I would rather have the warmer temps because of the massive torque. I LOVE the power in this car but it takes a different skill to drive it when it is cold out. I think that I will be leaving traction control on much more frequently in the winter. In my coupe, I vary rarely used it in the winter. I don't drive in the rain or snow (on purpose) but the cold tires/road and the cold air into the engine make it a challenge to accelerate.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I love when the back end swing out. Its so fun to spin out of a turn and do all the counter steering. Its a blast to do. What a great car :)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Having a car that REQUIRES you to feather the throttle, instead of just dropping the hammer, is a wonderful thing. Makes me smile from ear to ear.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PerforminNorman said:
Having a car that REQUIRES you to feather the throttle, instead of just dropping the hammer, is a wonderful thing. Makes me smile from ear to ear.
Norman,

I couldn't agree more! :D

- Charley

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can't even chirp the tires from a roll no matter how much I try. I live at 4500 ft. :(

Do you low-elevation guys still get wheel spin from a roll in warm or hot weather?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beggar said:
I can't even chirp the tires from a roll no matter how much I try. I live at 4500 ft. :(

Do you low-elevation guys still get wheel spin from a roll in warm or hot weather?
My rear-end fishtails pretty easily but I don't hear any tires squealing or chirping. I bought my car in October and it has been doing it since I tried it after my 500 mile break-in. I think that I have done it in 65 degrees.

My 99 coupe seemed to chirp/squeal more than my Z06. I remember with my 99 coupe, it would regularly chirp the tires when shifting into 2nd at high revs. It didn't squeal when accelerating in 1st too much until the last summer I owned it. Maybe the tire condition had something to do with it.

- Charley

·
Registered
231 Posts
The colder temps do wake up these cars..spinning and sideways in 1st,2nd gears:D

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
CDHough said:

My rear-end fishtails pretty easily but I don't hear any tires squealing or chirping. I bought my car in October and it has been doing it since I tried it after my 500 mile break-in. I think that I have done it in 65 degrees.

My 99 coupe seemed to chirp/squeal more than my Z06. I remember with my 99 coupe, it would regularly chirp the tires when shifting into 2nd at high revs. It didn't squeal when accelerating in 1st too much until the last summer I owned it. Maybe the tire condition had something to do with it.

- Charley
"Chirping/squealing" sounds cool, but if you can't even hear the tires while their spinning then that means you're spinning them very hard! :)

The chirp/squeal is the tire just on the very cusp of gaining traction. Too much wheelspin can be inaudible.

Been there, done that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
beggar said:

I am at 5800' (I think we have talked about this before). Right now with the cold weather, 1st gear won't hold traction with just the gas peadal from a roll. The tires will break loose about 5k rpm. If I shift 2nd real hard, I'll spin mostly through second gear (very scarey!). And I can spin in third a bit without trying real hard. In the summer, pretty much the same story, just not nearly as much. :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Beggar

After re-reading your post, seems you are asking a totally different question, than the answers you're getting.

From a roll, meaning........like 1st gear, let out clutch, around 3-5 mph??.......NO, wheelspin from a stock car UNLESS it's warm, and or hot, and on a P Poor road surface.

The dude's got some serious rubber on the rear........they shouldn't squeal the tires from a slow roll.

Now, if starting from a standstill, and flooring it, (when warm), comp mode........look out............backfield in motion.
2nd gear, serious rubber, third gear breaks loose, and 4th will definitely chirp........and MORE if you powershift(which I do not).
Did this answer your question??:-?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
maule said:

I am at 5800' (I think we have talked about this before). Right now with the cold weather, 1st gear won't hold traction with just the gas peadal from a roll. The tires will break loose about 5k rpm. If I shift 2nd real hard, I'll spin mostly through second gear (very scarey!). And I can spin in third a bit without trying real hard. In the summer, pretty much the same story, just not nearly as much. :D
Well, I'm back in CA. You need to get your car near sea level. I scared myself silly last night. I got used to the high altitude performance, and rolled into first gear. The tires broke loose at about 5000-5500rpm, and then smacked the rev limited before I could react.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Z06LS6, I think you did answer my question, though I'm not sure if you're saying you don't get wheelspin right when you hammer it or if you meant you don't get any wheelspin at any point in 1st gear like me even at high rpms. You're right I meant from a roll, with clutch fully out, on a dry, smooth road, while going straight, not when dumping the clutch during speedshifts which seems like what everybody else except Maule is talking about. It's seems strange to me that Maule is saying his tires break loose around 5K rpm and he lives even higher than I do. Maule, do you have any mods or abused tires? :D You're starting to worry me that there's something wrong with my car.:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
mgarfias said:

Well, I'm back in CA. You need to get your car near sea level. I scared myself silly last night. I got used to the high altitude performance, and rolled into first gear. The tires broke loose at about 5000-5500rpm, and then smacked the rev limited before I could react.
Mike,
Are you staying in CA or are you coming back to ABQ after the holidays?

What part CA are you in? I'll be in San Diego next week. Anyone want to show me what these cars are like at 0'. :D

Anyone out there in San Diego?

-Steve

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Beggar

It ALL depends on temp, and road surface.......in 1st..........

On a GREAT new asphalt road, from a dead stop.......floor it.........ZERO spin, all hook......from idle.

Do the same, on a used asphalt road, or worn concrete, and your liable to spin for a 100 feet.........

Ambient temp, road surfaces are a BIG factor. BIG.
Couple these with NEW tires..........and , well you get my drift.
My '01, has not turned over 3k yet.........

Yesterday, on a NEW asphalt road( the kind that gets 100% traction), i put er' on around 3k, and nailed er',,,,,,,,,,,,

It was ALL over the road............so bad, I shut it down.

This(on this type surface @ 80/85 degrees, would NOT have been so bad...........
Temp was only 63 degrees.............BIG diff..........

Keep in mind, this is with a brand new right rear, and a left that has NOT been abused...........plenty of rubber........

IF, I were YOU......i would get my AFR's checked..........muy pronto.....I think you could usesome PCM programming big time...........
But, wadda' I know??..........Nuttin!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
maule said:

Mike,
Are you staying in CA or are you coming back to ABQ after the holidays?

What part CA are you in? I'll be in San Diego next week. Anyone want to show me what these cars are like at 0'. :D

Anyone out there in San Diego?

-Steve
I have a feeling I'll be staying. I have a lead on a job in Palo Alto, I'll hate it, but, hey, I like my car :)

Sorry, I'm about 6-7 hours north of San Diego, maybe theres someone there that can help.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We discussed this topic extensively last winter, I think on the other forum though. Everyone agreed that colder air does " wake up " the car. It was the 2nd to 3rd chirp that was being debated hotly. I was rather surprised. :eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I feel like I'm driving a ZO6

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
beggar said:
Z06LS6, I think you did answer my question, though I'm not sure if you're saying you don't get wheelspin right when you hammer it or if you meant you don't get any wheelspin at any point in 1st gear like me even at high rpms. You're right I meant from a roll, with clutch fully out, on a dry, smooth road, while going straight, not when dumping the clutch during speedshifts which seems like what everybody else except Maule is talking about. It's seems strange to me that Maule is saying his tires break loose around 5K rpm and he lives even higher than I do. Maule, do you have any mods or abused tires? :D You're starting to worry me that there's something wrong with my car.:(
beggar,

I just wanted to clarify what I was trying to say. I do get wheelspin at pretty much any point in 1st gear when I hammer it, from a roll, with the clutch fully out, on a dry , smooth road, while going straight. I am NOT talking about dumping the clutch during a speedshift. This also happens in many times in 2nd gear and occassionaly 3rd. Now that it is cold, it is very easy to do in 2nd gear and 3rd gear.

- Charley

1 - 20 of 21 Posts