Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I driving about 70 in a 55 on a city highway in traffic with no cars ahead of me coming into a fairly large curve in the road. As I turn, I see a line of cars stopped at a red light. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard as I wasn't paying enough attention before hand. Naturally the Z stopped on a dime as usual without any incident or close call whatsoever. Unfortunately, a full sized van (with disgustingly inferior brakes) comes flying towards my car about 2 seconds later. I see the events about to unfold, so as soon as he was very close, I lunged the Z forward using the 7-8 feet I had between me and the car in front of me in order to soften or avoid the impact. It didn't work completely. The van skidded and nailed my car. I punched the passenger seat, fired off a few choice words and got out of the car. It seemed like about a 2 hour walk to the back of my car to assess the damage. I really got nailed, it jolted me forward about 4 feet or so. I figured the rear of the car was caved in and cracked. However, to my amazement, no damage!!!! I looked and looked but all I saw was some black scraped from the vans front licence plate frame and 2 tiny indentations. I couldn't beleive my eyes. I got all the information as humanly possible from the guilty party and headed home. I used some scratch-out on the violated areas and wiped off any and all remnants that the catastrophy took place. Apparently, as well as beng superior in loks and performance, the Z also boasts outstanding impact resistant bumpers.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Holy crap, I would freak out. :flaming: I always leave plenty of room in front of me just in case, and I keep an eye on cars behind me at a light until they come to a complete stop.

I had a GTS Celica in '85 and with only 600 miles and 2 weeks old, some woman in a Volvo slammed into me at a light going 40, she hit the brakes at the last second, the front of her car went under my cars rear end and did over $4,000 damage.

Sorry to hear about the incident, but I sure am glad to hear everything is okay.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I second the advice about getting it checked out. I got rear-ended by a van in a 95 Monte Carlo while stopped at a light.

:flaming:

It didn't appear there was much damage at all. But a bunch of small bumper stuff got crunched underneath. It looked fine, but it wasn't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
BrianK said:
Glad to hear it wasn't too serious!

Most lousy drivers overdrive their lousy brakes.

I would have the car checked.. It is possible that the structure under the bumper cover was damaged. Cracks may also appear later :(

Hopefully you can just forget about it..
Definitely have the rear bumper covering removed and have the rear of the car inspected. The car may have suffered damage that is not visible. The crumple zone may have been comprimised and may not work fully if hit again (hurting you).

Just to be safe....glad to hear it didn't mess up the looks! :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this Bro!! :cry:

I would DEFINITELY have it checked out!!

I would be willing to bet all of the honeycombing located under the bumper cover needs to be replaced. :( You can sustain a considerable amount of damage that is not visible!!

The main thing is, you are OK!! :cool: These cars can be replaced, but our Bruthas can't!! :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honeycombing???

Frank,
Or anyone else who may know. What is this honeycombing behind the bumper you speak of? I am unfamiliar with this. If there is any damage whatsoever than I must have it fixed, as this accident was not caused by me and I will be compensated for any damage rendered. I'm glad I posted this an here because I was unaware that damage could be caused that wasn't visible from a less than serious collision like this. Thanks fellas. What a knowledgable bunch we have here. Good lookin out for your fellow Z owner.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Steve,

Honeycomb is how they sandwich less material in a smaller space much like bee's do its stronger lighter but can damage which could lead to seperation...Get it checked out the composits and aluminum are fragile on these cars.......

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Glad tohear you are ok. Man that really pisses me off. Why can't people pay attention????? Get off the friggen phone and drive the damn car :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Definitely get it checked.

I was in my Camaro SS stopped at a light when I got my head planted against the headrest. The funny part (I can laugh about it now) was the guy driving the F250 4X4 pickup was digging around his glove box looking for something and he idled into me.

$1500 damage.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I was looking at a 99 FRC today that a buddy is fixing right now. The guys backed into his daughters car in the driveway. It appeared that the car had some minor scratches in the paint. After taking the cover off to sand it down he discovered that the cover was in fact cracked. I may try to go snap a few pics of what the car look like with the back end torn off and post them here.

I havn't seen your cover, but my guess is that the cover is damaged, even if it isn't readily visible. Also my guess is that the styrofoam pad and honeycomb pad may be damaged. Like the others, I would recommend having it checked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts