Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

well, now that its been 2 months that I have my Z, and I have fresh new tires, I am starting to push this baby.

however, 3 times this weekend, as I attempted to shift to 5th gear, I get grinding... and I couldn't get it into 5th. I will also add, that as I attempted to shift to 5th gear, I was shifting very fast from 4th to 5th.

I read up on some previous posts, that its possible that I am going to far right, and getting it in the reverse shift...hence the grinding? Is there any other way to determine if its a bad synchro/link to 5th gear or am shifting too far right and grinding reverse?

in normal relaxed driving, the gears go in perfectly, no grinding, all shifts are fine.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, you are probably going into reverse. Mine tried several times.

The reverse solenoid on my 2002 Z06 would not work sometimes and I learned that if it felt strange like the stock shifter went to far to the right instead of trying to get 5th I would instead try and go to 6th but it would not go in. It was past the 5th/6th slot and if I let the shifter come back to the left (towards me) it would drop into 6th.

You need to get the reverse solenoid lockock out replaced!

There are some old threads on here or the other forum that tell you how to check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts