Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of looking and I have an idea. What about going with a Vararam intake, kooks 1 7/8" long tubes with o2 and AIR, stock cats Kooks X-pipe, and corsa ti cat back. I saw someone else on the board with a vararam and the corsa ti dyno at 383 rwhp. I'm thinking the kooks would get it really close to 400 rwhp. I'm really looking for about 500 hp at the crank, which is about 425 rwhp. I think anything more than that on the street can be too dangerous, this car already scares me while turning under full throttle.

Anyone think with ported stock heads, ported throttle body, kooks LT's, kooks stock cats x pipe, corsa ti, vararam, and other minor bolt ons I can find, and a custom tune could get me an emmissions legal 500 hp z? Technically this doesn't change any emissions locations, since the o2 locations and cat locations are stock and the cats are stock. Without changing the cam I'm at no risk there.

Anyone tried this in California before? :idea: I'm thinking total cost on this should be in the neighborhood of $4000-5000, and should be Much safer than a Forced induction application, since technically the stock compression and cam have not been changed, therefore increased engine load would be minimal, might even be easier on the stock block.

Just throwing ideas around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems to me all these modifications simply make the engine more efficient at moving air and fuel through quicker and more efficiently. Might need bigger injectors, but it seems like a pretty good plan reading back through it. Any technically minded people see any potential reliability problems with this setup?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Vararam and Kooks headers are not CARB approved. You will not pass visual. The cats are not in the same location, because of the LT headers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the 1 7/8 are a little to big for stock displacement motor. Just my opinion. You would probably see better gains with 1 3/4

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Correct, 1 7/8" headers would be good for a large displacement LS6 (427). 1 3/4" would be better for stock displacement.

The Corsa "Z" Series Titanium Race Exhaust System comes with it's own true "H" pipe, which replaces the factory H pipe and sits right behind the CATS. The system is tuned for it and the PRT resonators work best with it. In addition, using any other "X" pipe will take up too much room and not leave enough room for the 18" PRT Resonators which sit in front of the over axle flange.

For headers I would consider Mallett's "D" port matched for a pre CAT header or LG Motorsports LT headers with race merge collectors. With the LG system you replace the stock CATS with Random Tech Hi-Flo's, which come with the system and would need to Fabricate a shortened "H" pipe....the specs of which are on this site.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I am moving to San Francisco this May, immediately after I get my car registered I am driving down to Andy's in LA annd having the following installed:

PP stg. 2 heads
LG longtubes, w high flow cats
pro luk gold clutch
hardened output shaft
DTE strut brace
Crane 1.89 variable ratio rocker arms/along with this cam .551/551 .216/.224 115 LSA
LS1 edit
SVO 30 lb injectors
tunnel brace/heat shield

Similar mods to the ones you have mentioned, I am going with the crane rocker arms and the cam because the cam itself is close enough to a stock 02 LS6 cam to pass by itself, its lift and duration numbers become .580/.580 .23#/.23# in conjunction with the rocker arms.

If after a few years I cant pass smog, then I will see if I can find a shop that will let the visual with the longtubes slide and just pass me on smog. Ill only have to take the valve covers off and change the rocker arms and injectors back to stock, and retune. Changing out rocker arms is way easier than changing a cam on a y body.

If I cant get a slide on the visual then Ill have to change the manifolds back to stock as well. Thats my plan. Im hoping for 430-440 rwhp....

Ive had an entire year out here in Afghanistan to come up with this plan, I hope it works.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am nearly certain NO Longtube headers are legal in the great state of California. I ran into trouble with my 02 Z28 and LT headers in that state. It will pass the smog but will fail the visual inspection. Scharwseneger passed a law in 03' or 04' that makes it illegal to modify intake and exhaust from stock. :mad: Do a search on California DMV laws or go to LS1tech.com and do a search there, I am not posative where I found it. Hope everything works out! :z: :usa:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
There are NO LTs that pass visual inspection in CA. Not only that, they have random roadside inspections and they will check every car going down the road for emissions violations (visual and emissions-measured). If they find LTs... say hello to Mr. Bendover. :eek:

Not only can they fine you big time ($5k-10k), but they can impound your car, I heard - or take stuff apart and give it back to you in boxes.

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts