Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, :roll: I am sure nobody cares about what I am going to say, but with all the complaints / praises out now I figured here is a good chance to ramble on about how I feel since the price has been announced.

The obvious fact is that some people can afford the new Z06 :drunken: and some wish they could :cry: . Some can afford it but will refuse to pay the price because they think it is overpriced, yet others will go into debt over their head to get one.

It is strange how we are when it comes to material things, especially our cars :screwy: . I admit that cars are the unwise CHOICE I make with my money, it is a pleasure not an investment and should only be done when the money we throw out the door to enjoy them is not jeopardizing our family / personal financial obligations.

We all know that if we buy new from a dealer we take a hit out the door, it is no different than leaving the dealership and throwing away at least 10k into the trash can :puke: . Others will wait a year or two and buy used and the funny thing is that when people see us driving around they have no idea if we are the original owners or not all they see is the car, not our bank account.

The fact is that all cars are over priced, it just depends on what we are willing to pay for them and when. Some of us can afford them new, some used.

We will never drive the fastest or most expensive car no matter what make or model it is, matter of fact if you buy a new Z06 and drive it for several months the next guy that buys one new has a more expensive car than you do so who cares.

So I guess the point is that there is no point, it is just another opinion about the price of the new Z06.

Blog...
I love hotrods; I love the sound of an aggressive cam. I love the feel of the torque when I an pressed back into the seat under heavy acceleration. I love my C5 Z06 and from what I am seeing so far the C6 Z06 looks like it is going to be one awesome HOTROD. I thank GOD that I live in America and that I have the resources to even have a car... on top of that to have a toy like my Corvette.

If you can afford the new Z06 congratulations, if you can't do not worry, it is just a car. If you can afford it but just do not want to take a hit during the feeding frenzy, wait and get it when they give incentives. But regardless, be thankful for today, pray for our troops and their families and be proud of who you are no matter what the price of the new Z06 is :usa:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I think you're right. We all have different circumstances, preferences and expectations, and that's why they make different vehicles.
America is great! Be happy. :usa:

·
21,394 Posts
An excellent observation Mark and how true it is! These cars are definitely NOT a good investment but are the source of much joy. It all boils down to, how much joy can you afford? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Great observations. I'm pleased no end Chevy is making this car even though for me personally, I can't see the extra coin over what the Shelby is supposed to go for. That's the advantage I guess from being a Mustang guy AND a Corvette guy, I get to choose whatever pushes my buttons (and my wallet). :D

I like my Z16 too much to part with it anyway..........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mark Little said:
I love hotrods; I love the sound of an aggressive cam. I love the feel of the torque when I an pressed back into the seat under heavy acceleration. I love my C5 Z06 and from what I am seeing so far the C6 Z06 looks like it is going to be one awesome HOTROD. I thank GOD that I live in America and that I have the resources to even have a car... on top of that to have a toy like my Corvette.

If you can afford the new Z06 congratulations, if you can't do not worry, it is just a car. If you can afford it but just do not want to take a hit during the feeding frenzy, wait and get it when they give incentives. But regardless, be thankful for today, pray for our troops and their families and be proud of who you are no matter what the price of the new Z06 is :usa:
Mark, I couldn't agree with you more. In the USA, we are blessed to enjoy material abundance; however, to maintain one's sense of well being one must temper one's desires, fueled by the Great American Marketing Machine,with financial responsibility and a strong sense of personal value. :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Very good points. Even for those complaining they can't afford the new one, in the grand scheme of things, if that's all you have to complain about- be VERY happy. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I will buy as soon as I'm ready - a new one. But, who cares? Some will buy new and some will buy used. No big deal.

Alex

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Mark, I like what you said. I sitting here wondering which category I fit in. I know it's definitely one of them. I wish you would have made it into a poll. :cheers:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mark Little said:
I couldnt agree more. :usa:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I agree with mark, while I think its overpriced, I've seriously considered it. but when I really think about it, if I dump this one in 3 years, how long will I wind up keeping a new one. The other thing is I have my dad's 55 chevy which is going to take quite a bit of money. Now I know the vettes will come and go, always looking for the newer faster model...I mean a month ago I was ready to jump on no mercy after the deal was verbal before the cash changed hands...the 55 on the other hand you could offer me a car carrier full of C6Z's, vipers, ferraris etc. and I wouldn't part with it. So I'm taking my toy funds and putting it all into the basket I'm keeping, dad's hotrod. Of course I'm going to wind up putting more than the cost of a new Z into it. (I have 30 grand sitting in the garage waiting to go in it already, and thats just the engine, 75% of the fuel injection, tranny, and frame (minus brakes and an empty rearend housing)....with at least another 40 waiting to go between show quality body work, interior, and lots of incidentals) Of course I'm not selling the 55 so what goes into it isn't factored on return, more what I want and what I'm going to keep. Now it won't hang with a Z on a roadcourse (even though the frame builder claims it will handle on par with a C5) but in a straight line....well I know the NE crew will give me an opportunity to redeem some vintage iron, but if I wasn't anxious, I could put it off a few years and grab a new Z for the interim.....but by then who knows, I could be married with a wife kids etc. and I doubt I'd get the freedom to do what I want with a second opinion figuring the finances.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mark, I couldn't agree more. I've chosen to go back to school to get my MBA, which means I'll be driving my stanza for at least the next 2.5 years. Being a car nut, that really hurts. But being a no-debt guy, I'd rather wait and pay cash for a 3-5 year old car. And hopefully, 10 years down the road, when the last C6 Z06 is 5 years old, I'll be able to get one at a decent price. Would I EVER, no matter how rich I wind up being, buy a brand spanking new car? No, especially for an expensive toy, no matter how dear to my heart that toy may be. I am just thankful that the Z06 is priced low enough that it will be in my price range some day (with all the poverty and worthy causes in the world, my price range is limited by what my conscience will allow me to spend on a car, not by how much $$$ I have).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Mark Little said:

amen broh! :thumb:

we are indeed, truly blessed

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd like to offer a slightly different point of view:

Considering this is a Z06 board, I think there are at least some folks who feel betrayed by the new Z06.

Why?

Because it is no longer what it was. The old Z06 was not a testament to whether you could afford a premium Corvette. It was simply a decision on what kind of driving style/preference that you had. If you could afford a nicely optioned coupe or convertible, you could probably afford a Z06.

So, Z06 drivers tended to be the kind of people who at least believed they were the hardcore performance-oriented type of enthusiast.

NOW, many of them have been squeezed out. They feel they are being told by GM that they can settle for the Z51, which is actually a slight step down in most performance measures, from their current vehicle. GM has decided to change the Z06 to something it wasn't before. It is now a hardcore Viper competitor with a jump in price that, while a bargain compared to a Viper, is in that more exclusive territory.

So you end up with the folks who can afford it and they are happy. More is better and the cost be damned.

But the folks who considered themselves "elite" (by "elite" I do not mean in a snobbish kind of way, but in a "willing to give up creature comforts in exchange for performance" kind of way) Corvette owners, who have been priced out of the "new Z06" have been told, "you'll have to drive what everyone else is driving now."

So I believe that is why you see the disappointment among many previous Z06 owners.

For me, I'm on the fence. The price is high for me, but within my range. For me it ends up being a decision based on how good a deal I can get and whether I can justify the price difference between buying a low-mileage 04 Z06 and driving it for a few years, or getting the new Z06.

It's a wonderful car, but I believe there are some people still shaking their heads wondering why it couldn't have had a steel frame, regular composite body panels and a price of less than $60k.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigbadbevo said:
Very good points. Even for those complaining they can't afford the new one, in the grand scheme of things, if that's all you have to complain about- be VERY happy. :cheers:
:yeadog:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Changing gears on my Z06 and changing gears in my C6'vert is a big difference.

I caution all of you to be very cautious on the purchase of the new C6-z06.

In my opinion, I believe the last z06, being the C5 is still the hotrod of a car. The new C6-z06 will NOT be the "hotrod". It will be too quite, too refined, and too expensive. Did GM go to far ? Time will tell when we start test driving this new Z06 and sharing our views. But right now, don't move to fast on the new one. Wait, listen, wait and save $$$. I'm also afraid some will go too fast and regret the purchase on price and loss of their current Z06-c5 ride.

ENJOY THE RIDE WITH CAUTION.
-Bill. :coo:

·
Registered
145 Posts
It just occurred to me that no one cares if I think the new Z is:

-Too expensive for me and I can't afford it
-Too expensive although I can afford it but won't pay $70k
-Too expensive for Chevy
-A great bargain at $70k and I'm buying
-A great bargain at anything under $100k
-I'm going to wait until the price drops
-I'm going to wait until the used Z's hit the dealers
-I'm going to wait until the bugs are worked out
-I'm going to wait until GM goes broke and they have to give them away.
-Not a Lambo
-Not a Porsche
-Not a BMW etc., etc.,
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Mark Little said:
The fact is that all cars are over priced, ...
This must be a shock to all car companies, most of whom are not making much money right now, even those who are gaining market share in the US. :eek:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tom Steele said:
I'd like to offer a slightly different point of view:

Considering this is a Z06 board, I think there are at least some folks who feel betrayed by the new Z06.

Why?

Because it is no longer what it was. The old Z06 was not a testament to whether you could afford a premium Corvette. It was simply a decision on what kind of driving style/preference that you had. If you could afford a nicely optioned coupe or convertible, you could probably afford a Z06.

So, Z06 drivers tended to be the kind of people who at least believed they were the hardcore performance-oriented type of enthusiast.

NOW, many of them have been squeezed out. They feel they are being told by GM that they can settle for the Z51, which is actually a slight step down in most performance measures, from their current vehicle. GM has decided to change the Z06 to something it wasn't before. It is now a hardcore Viper competitor with a jump in price that, while a bargain compared to a Viper, is in that more exclusive territory.

So you end up with the folks who can afford it and they are happy. More is better and the cost be damned.

But the folks who considered themselves "elite" Corvette owners, who have been priced out of the "new Z06" have been told, "you'll have to drive what everyone else is driving now."

So I believe that is why you see the disappointment among many previous Z06 owners.

For me, I'm on the fence. The price is high for me, but within my range. For me it ends up being a decision based on how good a deal I can get and whether I can justify the price difference between buying a low-mileage 04 Z06 and driving it for a few years, or getting the new Z06.

It's a wonderful car, but I believe there are some people still shaking their heads wondering why it couldn't have had a steel frame, regular composite body panels and a price of less than $60k.

:cheers:

Interesting perspective, Tom. I very much agree with you on the fact that the C5Z was a similar price to the convertible but more for the "performance enthusiast". I for one chose the Z over a convertible for that exact reason. I could have bought a nice convertible for about the same amount but I thought my money would be better spent on a better performance package. Also, in regards to why some Z owners are upset at the new Z and its pricing, I understand where it comes from. I also feel like now that I am in the Z crowd I don't want to leave, and would like to upgrade to the new Z but can't financially. I don't, however, disagree with them building a Viper competitor for more money with the Z even if I am priced out of the market. I think many (unless I am alone on this) vette fans have always wanted to compete toe to toe with the Viper and are happy that GM finally is! Besides, I understand that we (meaning those like me) that are priced out of the new Z market have to "settle" for what everyone else is driving (the C6), but it is still a great sports car. I also look at the new Z as just elongating my dream of owning a corvette. I have wanted one since I was very young, so being priced out of the new Z market just keeps me dreaming of someday owning the FASTEST vette ever, just like I dreamt of a vette long before I ever owned one.
:z:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I really want c6 z06 but i will not pay high 60k to get one myself. I will either wait a year or year and half and get one for 45-55k, or i am even considering getting 02-04Z06 (650-700hp) that are outthere for grabs for mid-high 40 k right now...I got those two choices and i will have to think carefully before i decide. Till then, 11s TA and Hummer will do!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts