Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... from a roll in 1st (not a downshift or missed shift) for about 2-3 seconds. I would have gotten out of it sooner, but I was fishtailing a bit and I was trying to keep as much control as possible. I don't hear any new noises and she seems to run OK, but how big is the possibility that I did some engine damage from that? It sure is fun, but of course I don't want to hurt anything.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Don't make a habit of it ;) ...but you're probably fine.

I did it the other day during some "spirited driving" with a sport bike and mine seems fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The reason the rev limiter is there is to prevent you from doing damage to your engine if you overrev it. If you bounce off the limiter every now and then, I don't think it's going to do any damage, especially on a relatively stock car. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
You shouldn't have hurt anything. That is why the rev limiter is there - to protect you from yourself :D
I wouldn't make a habit of it however. You can fishtail without reving that high.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I didn't really think I had hurt anything, but since I'm new to these cars, I wasn't too sure and I was a little worried.

2MchFun said:
You can fishtail without reving that high.
Good point. This was the first time I've really gotten on it with the traction control off though, so every other time I've done it I've been interrupted. Traction control is very useful, but I sure am glad there's a button to turn it off! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
Thanks guys, I didn't really think I had hurt anything, but since I'm new to these cars, I wasn't too sure and I was a little worried.

Good point. This was the first time I've really gotten on it with the traction control off though, so every other time I've done it I've been interrupted. Traction control is very useful, but I sure am glad there's a button to turn it off! :thumb:

Gotta love "Comp Mode"...you do use that right? :cheers:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
When you start seeing parts coming out the tail pipes, you will know when you hit the rev limiter too many times. :lol:

Bob :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wingnut said:
Gotta love "Comp Mode"...you do use that right? :cheers:
I haven't used that yet b/c I wasn't sure I was ready. :pp:

What is the difference between the three modes?

·
Registered
141 Posts
NewFoundPower said:

When in comp mode active handling is enabled and traction control is turned off. The way you were driving both active handling and traction control were turned off. This is not recommended unless you are an expert driver. Active handling saved me just last weekend from an accident.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
NewFoundPower said:

I don't ever go unprotected. Dry weather I'm always in Comp mode, that way the active handling is intact. Wet, if I get caught in the rain, I always have full protection. I never turn everything off. Just a suggestion though.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Just use LS1 edit and remove that thing. It's just a hinderance.
I don't need no stinking Rev limiter, Watch this :zboobie:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hit mine often! It's redline for dummies ;) Worse thing then hitting rev limiter, is a high speed shift from 5 to 4, when you meant to go to 6! :eek:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
redimpss5 said:
I hit mine often! It's redline for dummies ;) Worse thing then hitting rev limiter, is a high speed shift from 5 to 4, when you meant to go to 6! :eek:
Ya... rev limiter won't help you on that one... :eek:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
NewFoundPower said:

Comp Mode is my friend...I use it most of the time. Definitely safer than turning both systems off IMHO. You can still spin the tires but it helps if you fishtail too much.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
redimpss5 said:
I hit mine often! It's red-line for dummies ;) Worse thing then hitting rev limiter, is a high speed shift from 5 to 4, when you meant to go to 6! :eek:
I hope you realize what you are describing and has nothing to do with the Rev limiter. What you are talking about is a mechanical over-speed. The damage this causes is usually bent push-rods at the minimum. If your seems to be down on power after a over-speed it can be traced to bent push-rods and the car will seem to operate normally. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I went to RICER night to see what my son does on Wednesday nights
and those kids (not my son) rev their ricers in neutral and hit their rev limiters for kicks. It is amazing how stupid some of those kids are.
If it wasn't for rev limters that parking lot would be full of conrods flying around

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
... from a roll in 1st (not a downshift or missed shift) for about 2-3 seconds. I would have gotten out of it sooner, but I was fishtailing a bit and I was trying to keep as much control as possible. I don't hear any new noises and she seems to run OK, but how big is the possibility that I did some engine damage from that? It sure is fun, but of course I don't want to hurt anything.

Hitting the rev limiter doesnt hurt much, actually , having the traction control come on when over powering it and its action of cutting off fuel, cylinders ect, is problably one of the worst things on motors as far as common things, ofcourse there's worst things but if you're going to drive with the t/c, dont drive to let it come on, thats worst than the rev limiter by far I think, on our cars it comes on actually right at red line, it is really easy to hit because our cars rev really quick too up top, on most cars rev limiters are at 400rpm over redline, when my z06 gets in a fish tail which its 90% of its running time :yeadog: , I tend to peddle the gas on and off to get away from redline, it also makes the fishtail longer :D , but I hit the rev limiter some times :z:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts