Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At least, it damn near felt like I ripped right through the time space continuim! :p 4th and 5th gears are stairways to heaven baby....I'm hooked.

No more sleep, no more food. Work is going to get in the way of me shooting up my fix of 427TT....

So I got to pick the beast up today from my buds over at 21st. All ready to unleash and play! We threw her on the dyno Wednesday and got her tuned - best pull of the day was 638/678 at the wheels (hot as hell that morning and HUMID!)

We're still running the stock cats and center section with a Magnaflow catback (I want the ultimate sleeper - nice and quiet!) + I'm running 305s out back so the damn thing spun all the way through every single pull. Only tiny when you're putting down anything north of 500. :)

We have RT cats and a 3" center section going on next week (should free it up a little bit) and I'll likely end up tubbing the beast so I can squeeze some 355s out back.

Anyhow, long story short - after a few more tweaks she was ready to pick up today.

HOLY SHIT!!!! And I mean that from the very bottom of my heart. :eek:o:

You know you have something kinda quick when 5th gear spins the tires under WOT at speeds over 120mph....wow. Just.......wow.

The speedo on the HUD doesn't update all that fast, we all know that. But it was amazing and almost comical to see it flash "93" then "112" then "128" all in rapid succession as speeds built in 5th gear on a nice clear section of road. 5th gear is my favorite gear now....how odd is that? Well, I take it back - 4th is my favorite as long as I manage that throttle right. ;)

It's going to take some getting used to shifting UP a gear when someone pulls up next to you instead of DOWN. :yeadog: Of course you can pretty much leave it in 4th anywhere and never shift.

1st and 2nd gear are more like mere suggestions for the car that you make with the throttle. "I'd like you to go in that general direction under half throttle but, you know...if you'd rather spin that's okay too." They are best put to use when you quickly blast through them, short shifting before boost hits on your way to 3rd and 4th gears.

3rd gear is a little better, but not by much. As soon as boost climbs past 6lbs you get that very odd rushing sound from the back of the car....what is that again? Oh that's right - it's the tires scrambling for traction at 80mph as the tach nears 4500rpm...at about half throttle. Apply just a touch more throttle and the rush grows louder - spin city. Back off a little bit and lose some boost....it's a delicate balance in 3rd gear honestly.

4th gear....okay now we're talking. Doesn't start spinning til much later but you can feather it in and keep it right at that limit before spinning. If you get it right and it's on full boost without spinning it's simply amazing. It still accelerates HARD while spinning even, but if you can get it just right at that point where boost is about 8~11 pounds and the rear meats are not slipping, it feels like someone ripped the earth up behind, lifted it sky high and you and you're running straight downhill. It's the most amazing rush I've ever experienced in my life.

5th gear....ease into WOT and THIS is what it's all about - but you have to have a ton of room for this. But what a rush when you find that space!!! It feels like flying - you're not so much driving as holding on for a rocket ride. It feels like you're falling off the side of a cliff. It's insane and I LOVE it. It pulls harder over 120 then it does below - now that sounds insane, and you hear that all the time when reading about these cars. Hell, it feels insane....like the law of physics has just decided to overlook all 427TTs - but it's simply that the gearing in 5th really allows the car to boost fully without the rear tires slipping too much, as long as you keep the throttle in check.

There is this sweet spot in 4th and 5th gear when you get throttle application juuuuuust right...with the 305s out back right now it's a really narrow window. Too much throttle, even by a HAIR and those rears are scrambling - and too much throttle can be as little as just 50%. Lift to adjust and you lose some boost. But when you get it just right and you can gently apply throttle after it has crept up to 11lbs, feeding in throttle as if there was a crate of eggs strapped to the bottom of the gas pedal - holy shit! The front of the car lifts skyward and it's as if you've been dropkicked by God himself.

Glad I got some runs in tonight (been out on 3 seperate hour long trips tonight - just can't get enough!!) before the rain hits this weekend. Damn you weather! Damn you all to hell!!!

I have a pretty trick camera mount system for the windshield and a mini DV that I can record some really nice 16:9 flicks with - I'm going to film a metric F' load of vids showing what it's like to pilot this beast over the coming Summer months. Here's a few dyno vids to kick things off with that I posted the other night.

427TT dyno pull 1

427TT dyno pull 2

427TT dyno pull 3

·
Registered
963 Posts
Welcome to 'the club' :jammin:

I know your exhaust is holding you back quite a bit. I had the stock muffler for a while then added borlas and the car was waaaay more responsive and MUCH better!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats

You need to be in a seatbelt just reading that experience! :jammin: I missed you by one day at 21st. I put on Kooks headers, midsection and Borlas. The car sounds good but makes about the same power. Oh well maybe one day the never enough sickness will take me to the 427TT time warp you are in now. Enjoy!!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Great write-up! Makes me want to go for a ride and pretend! :coo:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Watching the vids, what kind of wheels are those? :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Man, What a Monster :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
repro -

Those are CCW 505s - probably going to have to change out to HRE's so I can get the custom size/offset I need for 345s out back though. Too bad though - I really like the CCWs and the price...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for the write-up nexus...Sounds like a wild ride ;)
Hard to imagine having to ease on the gas to keep from blowing off your tires at 120.. :eek: Opps... just typing that sentence gave me a we bit of a thrill. :rofl:

Well enjoy your rocket...think maybe I'll take my Z for a spin this afternoon. I still smile and Im only running headers and a vararam. :yeadog:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

Bigger tires out back will definitely help but practice with the right foot will get the best results.

Torque management seems to be the real issue with these cars.

Congratulations. :jammin:

Pat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kinda like having those 305s out back as a fuse to protect the drivetrain....I think you're 100% right about just learning to manage that throttle.

Are you still running the stock trans and diff?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Even with 335 or 345s out back they are still the fuseable link for the drivetrain and will blow off with no problem.

I have the Rockland Standard Gear bulletproof tranny and the LPE heavy duty differential shaft.

Pat

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lan, very excellent description of your car. Changing the CAT's and center section will definetely help. I am glad you are happy with the Magnaflow mufflers as well. I still like mine and as you and I want stealth they are very quiet. Tubing can only help and not hurt. As Mufflerbearing says you will still "blow off" the tires but does protect the drivetrain. I am going with Pirelli 355X25X19's as soon as I kill my 335's. I hate the rain as well. Glld Luck

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: That sounds impressive. I havea friend looking for something "stupid fast" this might just be the ticket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heya Rick! Yes the Magnaflow is nice - so quiet that there is nearly ZERO exhaust noise under WOT....just turbo woosh! It actually comes across on the dyno vids which is cool...it's hard to convince people that all you hear is a jet like woosh when really getting on it! :)

Looks like I have some Pirreli 355's on the way....which means bigger wheels and bigger brakes. :) I couldn't squeeze the 14" Brembos behind the CCWs anyhow so I had two good reasons to go with bigger wheels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
FYI, I am still runing my seasoned factory trans and diff. No drag strip starts and just squeezing on the power at the limit of traction. I plan on bullet-proofing my trans and diff later this year just to be safe. I will lower the ratios of 5th and 6th gear at the same time. These factory parts have done yeoman work in the 41K miles on the car. I am glad you are going to upgrade brakes as with larger, sticky tires and the grunt of the TT's you really need to be able to slow the car in proportion to the power. Glad you are pleased with 21st and the LPE package.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Braking from 140~150 in a hurry with the stock brakes does induce a little pucker factor. Not much, but enough. :)

Is it worth beefing up the half shafts? I'm going to leave the diff and trans as is I think until they prove to me that they can't hold up anymore. Like you I probably won't be doing much drag racing - not a lot of hard launches in the near future. I have other cars for that duty. :)

I'm fine with this being my top end missile that I point and squeeeeeeeeze with. Besides, who needs a hole shot when you can short shift 1st and 2nd and just breath on it in 3rd and catch and destroy damn near anything? I think in fact that it's almost more fun to give folks the jump and give them a false sense of security before reeling them in and leaving them 40 car lengths behind before they even shift into 3rd!

·
Registered
219 Posts
nexus,

thanks for the great write up, very enjoyable!! you should get some moonlighting in with motor trend-- if you can take a break from your newfound addiction. ;)

ps, i like your screen name... if rutger hauer had ridden in your car he probably would have mentioned it in his final soliloquy-- right up there with the "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of orion"!
(sorry, hadda post that as i'm a huge blade runner fan) :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"I have seen speeds.......you people wouldn't believe...."

"I want more boost......F*&KER!"

....ah yes, "Boost Runner" :lol:

One of my top 5 favs of all time without a doubt. Have you read "Future Noir?"

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it worth beefing up the half shafts? I'm going to leave the diff and trans as is I think until they prove to me that they can't hold up anymore. Like you I probably won't be doing much drag racing - not a lot of hard launches in the near future. I have other cars for that duty. :)

Well, since I will be doing a tranny rebuild I thought for a little more cost I will also upgrade the output shafts in the diff. It can only help and not hurt. Lan, your car has fewer miles so with street tires and no banzi starts you should be OK. I believe we both are using McLoed dual disc's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts