Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how the hell I did this, but it happened. I was accelerating from a dead stop and somehow I managed to go into first gear from second, when I was trying to go to third. When it happened the car bucked really bad, the ABS activated. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily I got my foot off of the gas and back on to the clutch. I really wasn't going that fast maybe around 60 mph or a little more. I tried to see where the RPM's where and I don't think they came close redline. When this happened and the car bucked like it did, the force threw my head down and I didn't get a good look at the gauges.

I had just finished washing and polishing the car. My hands were kind of slippery and I think this is what caused me to miss my shift.

I don't think I hurt the car or bent the push rods, but what should I do to check them. The car is running fine and it sounds fine. I don't hear any kind of ticking.

I feel like a damn idiot. I just hope I didn't screw up the car.

Chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Chris,

Sounds like you might have gotten away with one!! If you're using the stock shifter, throw that POS in the trash. Get a Ripper, or Kirban, or an equivalant. You'll never miss a shift again.

I drove the wife's Z about 2 weeks ago and she still has a stock shifter. I've been using a Ripper (payed for it /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) for about 4 or 5 months in my Z. There is such a HUGE difference.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Chris,
Lucky for you that you have a MN6 trans. and not a M12.
When I had my 99 FRC I reprogrammed the rev limiter to 6600 rpms which was almost 60 mph out of first gear.
I think you got away with it this time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I drove the car this morning and all seemed fine. When I first started the car, I thought I heard some ticking. I think it's normal though. Once the car was warmed up everything seemed fine. I drove it a little and pushed it up to about 4000 RPM and it seemed fine. I guess I got lucky.

Is there anything I can check, besides pulling the push rods to really make sure it's o.k.?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
528 Posts
Glad to here everything is O.K.
Time to replace the stock shifter.

Mark

01 Z06 -MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
when i get my z ill give you a call and we can put the shifters in at the same time to limit problems (NIB) check is in the mail

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't do any damage...FRC Tom (Thanks Buddy!) suggested I replace my stock shifter with a Speed Shifter by Corvette Concepts at the Registry BB last week, and I am very pleased that I took his advice...Love the way it shifts now!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Close one, install the Kirban

Corvette Concepts Ram Air Intake,T-84 European Headlamps with H-4 Piaa 85/85 watt lamps, Painted Engine Parts,Decals by Design Specialties,Vette Rest, Momo shift knob with Kirban shifter,Logoed Exhaust plate,Statmosphere Mats, Rear compartment divider,Rear compartment covers,Clear European tail lights,Cags defeat,Mobil 1 lubricants

SIG WAAAAYYY too big. 15k max, and too wide and tall....use a horiz strip --N4C5S

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't think the Kirban or Ripper would proclude you from making a mental error and throwing it from 1st to 2nd, and back to 1st, would they?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an update on my shifting. I found the following document on LS1.com and have learned to shift this way and have not had any problem since.

It is not the shifter, It is YOU!!!!!!!!
First rule accept that it is YOU, and listen UP!

Seat position is a huge factor, Stop trying to look cool laying in the back seat!
Put the seat up as straight as possible so you can reach the shifter, set the lower seat so when the clutch is on the floor your knee is bent at about 10 degrees, your arm should never be extended as well, elbow should be bent at 90 degrees in 2nd and 4th.

Shoes, Don't try and drive with work boots, find the lightest pair of sneakers, low cut narrow and smooth thin sole is best so you can feel the clutch. Push the clutch with your toes not the bottom of you foot. Sit in the car and practice shifting easy of coarse! Using the clutch, get use to where
your gears are, and what direction you have to pull and push the shifter to get each
gear smoothly.

Hand position, 1-2 thumb on top of knob with hand on right side of shifter, pull straight back pionting elbow to center of rear seat. 2-3 palm on back left side of knob pushing toward right front of hood. 3-4 palm on top center of knob, pull straight back pointing elbow straight back to center of rear seat. This, you will have to practice at lower rpms, I suggest 3500. REMEMBER!! While accelerating hard in any gear you CAN NOT pull the shifter out of gear. This is what you will do, let the clutch out and accelerate, while accelerating pull on the shifter as hard as you can and when the tach reaches desired RPM hammer the clutch as quick as possible with your toes as described above. Then turn your hand as described above and repeat,
Turn your hand again and repeat.

Practice, Practice, Practice,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts