Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When decelerating from most any gear I get this great popping sound. I really love it. :D My question is...since installing my T-1 it has become more frequent. What exactly is the popping sound, unburned gas in the cats?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I get it all the time now with NO cats and long tubes. :D

cold (cooler) air sucking back into the pipes...*pop* *pop* *pop*

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
With the stock Z06 Titanium exhaust it's pretty common, especially in cold weather - YES. I just went back to a set of Corsa Indy's (GTR tips) - after having a set of my previous Vette - and will not go back, I love the popping sound ! :cheers:

There are others, who go and get an X-Pipe installed to try and eliminate the sound, but I call them "Lexus drivers" :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have TPIS long tubes, Random Tech Super High Flow Cats(about twice the airflow of the stock '01 cats), a Bassani X-pipe and Corsa Indy's(Pro Tips), and I get a ton of popping. I also use MMT and I notice a bitchen snapping sound when the engine is cold and I blip the throttle.....I back into my garage and it really amplifies the sound :cool:

The popping has to be harmless explosions of unburned gas. I would think the "explosions" are occuring in the headers.....shooting the sound thru the system and out the tailpipes. Maybe the explosions occur in the cats???

Wherever, we hear it coming out the tailpipes, and thus behind us.... The X-pipe didn't reduce the popping.....on my Z.

HTH,
Barrie

·
Registered
231 Posts
I also noticed more popping sound from the exhaust..installed T-1 Sidewinder on Sunday..gotta love it:cool:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Not me

I'm glad you guys like it. I do not like it at all. :( Should have heard it with the SLP exhaust :eek: :puke:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had B&B short tubes, a Bassani off-road x-pipe and PRT's on my '01 Z. Even with the x-pipe, I still had a lot of popping on deceleration. I liked this combo, but got a little tired of the exhaust fumes. I'm going to go with BPP long tubes on my '02 and the Bassani pipe (I took it off the '01 before trade in). I also kept the PRT's, but I'm not going to put them on right away. Ernie at BPP told me the stock Ti's have shown better gains with his headers then any other exhaust (sans cats).
Happy New Year!:cheers: :guiness:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Popping?

This is a guess based on a recent post.

One of you techies explained this a few days ago. Something about the throttle by wire doesn't shut off all the fuel when you release the pedal at lower RPM's. At higher RPM's it does shut off all fuel and you get no popping. Don't remember why?

Someone step in here and correct me.............

I love it.

:-? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Popping!

I too love the blurble of the Z06 on deceleration. I'm perplexed why mods such as headers and T-1 ought to increase the effect. I thought these mods increased power, i.e. efficient use of fuel. Dased on this evidence it seems both mods result in a rich mixture at low rpms. Let's see. More air = leaner mixture = less popping. Better flow = better combustion = less popping. Based on the increased popping it seems neither of these mods are working at low speed. Z06Y Lady :-?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Popping!

Based on the increased popping it seems neither of these mods are working at low speed. Z06Y Lady :-?
I only race at high speeds, so I guess I am safe. :lol: My headers will be installed next week, I will let you know how slow it is. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Never seen a race that didn't

Z06_2002 said:

I only race at high speeds, so I guess I am safe. :lol: My headers will be installed next week, I will let you know how slow it is. :D
I've never seen a race that didn't end, so sooner or later you will decelerate into the pits , or along the backstretch or into turn 3. How will you be popping then? Z06Y Lady :-?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Never seen a race that didn't

Z06Y Lady said:

I've never seen a race that didn't end, so sooner or later you will decelerate into the pits , or along the backstretch or into turn 3. How will you be popping then? Z06Y Lady :-?
Since headers, and an intake system work under acceleration I don't believe decleration is a valid point on whether they are effective or not.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ultimate arbitrator

Z06_2002 said:

Since headers, and an intake system work under acceleration I don't believe decleration is a valid point on whether they are effective or not.
The dyno knows what evil lurks under the hood. Z06Y lady :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Ultimate arbitrator

Z06Y Lady said:

The dyno knows what evil lurks under the hood. Z06Y lady :D
So does my wife, and she is using it as a bargaining tool for more home fix up stuff. :)

Happy New Year :cheers:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Anchor gone

Z06_2002 said:

So does my wife, and she is using it as a bargaining tool for more home fix up stuff. :)

Happy New Year :cheers:
While I dumped my totally useless anchor years ago, I tend to support wives of motorheads. Next time marry a motorhead. However, if you get headers, she gets headers, etc. It may be cheaper to do the home stuff. Happy New year to you both!

Z06Y Lady, Seeking compatible motorhead, :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Popping???

Hi there,
The popping could be part of the formula of extra fuel entering the exhaust, but that is only part of it.
Just remember, in order for comustion, you must have oxygen. Where would you get it from???Would it be in the exhaust gas already???
With these questions, on deceleration, yes, the injectors are almost shut down, to avoid fuel loading into the cats. Light throttle does also allow fuel in on deceleration.
Ok, now, remember that your cars are equipped with fresh air injection with an air pump, which induces air under cold start conditions, to reduce emissions, by continuing the burning process. Now, with this in mind, and the facts that every mod that is made to the exhaust, you are reducing back pressure to the engine. Now this will allow pops, that normally occur, and muffled, to exit faster, so you hear this.
The check valves, that are in your air injection system, to prohibit exhaust from entering the air pump, allow extra air into the exhaust, due to scavenging within the manifold, or header.
Ok, so this leaves us here, as you are decelerating, slightly unburned fuel enters the exhaust stream, as this pulse enters, it pulls fresh air from behind the check valve. Once the air enters, combustion begins, as the pop noise you are hearing, which travels faster out of the exhaust.
I hope this helps, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Paul,

Thanks Bro :) I've often wondered why and how this happens.....and now we know the rest of the story ;)

Question, can you tell me where the *explosion* is happening? Is it in my headers, or in the cats, or further back in my x-pipe or mufflers :-? From what you said, it appears to be happening in the headers.....correct?

Can the popping have a damaging effect on the cats :-?

Thanks again'

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
The pop usually happens where the fresh air is being ingested into the exhaust stream. At the headers, you are correct.
Damaging?? No, not at all.
Besttoyou, c4c5:z:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts