Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for ride today at highway speeds (70 - 75) and I could not shift into 5th gear. Almost as if 5th did not exist. I heard that sick grinding sound if I attempted to force it. I stopped the car for about 15 min got back in and all was well. The car was at operating temps when the problem occured. Currently have 3400 miles. Any thoughts.

Craig

------------------
2001 Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
0 Posts
Craig, sounds like a linkage problem. I'd take it straight to the dealer and have them check it out. :(

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Craig, would it go into 6th or didn't you try that?

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't try going from 4th to 6th.

Will get it check out for sure. Anyway it was great to get the car out for a spin. I had the Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" CD on. Driving the Z on a 30 deg clear morning, "Hotel California" tune playing. Windows down, Heat on, 4 gears in a Z may just be good enuf for me. Craig

------------------
2001 Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
35 Posts
Craigk,

Had a similar thing happen to me last week. As I shifted to 5th the shift would grind like the sychros were out. Did it on three shifts while the car was cold then never again. I'm going to check with my mechanic, but I know it's not the linkage. Let me know if you find out anything, and I'll do the same.

------------------
John Von Loh

Pic edited (too large) -- JC

Black on Black and Red Z06

[This message has been edited by N4C5S (edited 01-28-2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been driving my new Z06 for one week now..and I also am having trouble shifting on the highway into 5th...its seems as it does not exist...I actually sat in my driveway this morning and practised shifting for 10 minutes, then went back on the road and still could not find 5th. But since the shift pattern is so tight, I thought that I might be skipping 3 and 4, and actually was in 5th, so I noted that at 80 mph I was revving at 4000 rpm...my question would be if this combo indicates 3rd, or 5th...? I should be able to judge by feel but my other vehicle is a auto pick up truck....I would like to hear from others on this challenge

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-06-17 16:50, Bernie Zed spewed forth this drivel:
I thought that I might be skipping 3 and 4, and actually was in 5th, so I noted that at 80 mph I was revving at 4000 rpm...my question would be if this combo indicates 3rd, or 5th
80 mph at 4000 rpm?? You're in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bernie Zed,

I was going to bring the car in to have it checked out but the problem has not reoccured. That was about 1500 miles ago. Next oil change at dealer I will have them look at the linkage just to be safe. Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a problem with this transmission. The car will not go into 5th at all at high rpm's in 4th gear. When you try to goto 5th it will just grind and will not go into 5th at all. It will not go into 6th either from 4th at high rpm's. I tried and tried and it just won't work. At low rpm's no problem. 5th and 6th work great. It also will kick itself out of reverse sometimes and sometimes it is very hard to get it into reverse. I was told by a top porsche mechanic that it was a bad synchronizer and that meant the whole transmission would have to be replaced, I hope not, but it's going into the shop again tomorrow for this same problem for the 2nd time. There is something wrong with these transmissions.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Several of my Zaino customers with Z06's had problems like this until they replaces their shifters (I am not saying that's your problem) but it was their problem, with the new shifters the problem weht away. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just returned Sun 6/17 from a 750-mile jaunt to Montreal, and, on several occasions, could NOT get into fifth gear....same symptoms....grinding noise like a non-functioning synchro in fifth. But, not all the time.

Weather was very hot, ranging around 95 to
100 F. Car now has 1800 miles on it.

Will be to dealer today, Monday.

'98 C5 Silver Targa
NCRS # 19306
NCM Shinoda Charter Membership # 3216

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re my comments above: now Monday afternoon....back from Dealer re 5th gear 'grinding' noise.

Now here's the simple, no-charge fix for "my" fifth gear problem. It appears that I had a "brain fade" on the weekend, and apparently somehow "created" my own [not-being-able-to-shift-to-fifth] problem. I apparently *forced* the shifter too far to the right, and the reverse lockout "spoke to me" with the grinding noise.

That first time it happened (last Friday), I guess I didn't find fifth easily, and moved too far right and forced my own problem. At the time, I had only 1100 miles, and the transmission is not even broken-in yet. And, I repeated this maneuver several times after, all with grinding noise.....all too far over. No, there was no beer in the Z06.

Yes, it was somewhat dumb on my part, but maybe this could be common to some others too who have experienced this phenomenon.

Embarassing fix....but cheap.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If this "too far over" seems to be the problem, then after market shifter is the way to go. Kirban, B&M, or Hurst(if they ever decided to put one out) and you will never miss a gear again.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Duntov,

Thanks for your honesty!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif That should help some of our inexperienced 6 speed drivers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hahah.. I did that too, only started to do it once I disabled CAGS.. Now I know where 5th is, so it's not a big problem.. And when I'm really getting on it and I don't have the time to be careful, well, I'm definitely not in 5th gear. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know this is anold thread,but describes what Happened to me EXACTLY!What kind of set up is this elecronic reverse lock out??How can it "fail" and let a person into the reverse gear slot??And, how would a new shifter solve this?

·
20,625 Posts
It's been a long time since I drove a stick (1984). For the first 500 miles, I'm still learning the shift pattern. And this pattern is not 'tight'! I used to drive a 67 beetle with a four speed that had as long shift throws!:lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts