Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Z06 you bunch of leghumpers. :zboobie:

I'm getting ready to do a road trip from Houston to Biloxi and am looking for recommendations for a good bra. Yes, I know I could do something with cleartastic, but am being lazy about this for the time being. What I'm mostly looking for is recommendations regarding:

1) Scratches to the paint job. I know that some bras have a tendency to do this, so I want to identify and avoid them
2) Good fit
3) Non-blocking of the intakes, etc. on the Z06

BTW, the Z is electron blue metallic if color matters.

TIA :mug: :mug:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Shoot me a pm. I may have just what you are looking for. When is your road trip?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got a GM bra, it's a nice setup, but the instructions are worthless, & the mounting hardware is retarded(but a trip to a marine supply store can fix that).

·
Registered
144 Posts
West Coast Corvettes has a good one. I think it's from GM. You can specify the color of the Corvette emblem on it. I think the cost was about $130.00. Be sure to specify it's for the Z06. I've had mine for about 6 months now and I've used it on several road trips without a problem. No scratches, and it has been tested to 145 MPH. Good luck.
BTW, I'm from the NW side Houston.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Have the GM bra as well. Paid less than $100 for it. Didn't have any problem with the supplied hardware. Have used it for the road trip to the Fest three times with excellent results.

Steve

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The best is SpeedLingerie which can either be color key/coded or you can opt for the charcoal black carbon fibre one.

These have screened cut outs for the front and brake duct openings and clear plastic protective cover for the turn signal lites and emblem.

You can also get color keyed mirror covers as well which I recommend.

Easy ON/OFF and will stay put up to 150 MPH

·
Registered
671 Posts
Used mine (the GM product) on a RT from home (MD) to New Orleans to GA & home last summer. Does a good job in covered areas (obviously). Got a nasty chip on my rt headlight (daytime, recessed position) where there is no protection. Did save me from massive cleanup of the gawdawful bugs along the Gulf Coast. PITA to attach. All-in-all, still worth it for a serious road trip.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
I use a stretch fit one made of a sheer cloth type material. It covers the whole front end, and it does not scratch or block the duct work. Several Corvette vendors carry it. Easy to install. You replace three 7mm screws on the inner fender panels and use snap screws to hold in place along with plastic clips. It does not jump or flap around. Tested to 150. Shoot me a PM and I will give you a link. Don

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the one most of y'all are referring to?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJWorm said:
The best is SpeedLingerie which can either be color key/coded or you can opt for the charcoal black carbon fibre one.

These have screened cut outs for the front and brake duct openings and clear plastic protective cover for the turn signal lites and emblem.

You can also get color keyed mirror covers as well which I recommend.

Easy ON/OFF and will stay put up to 150 MPH
Yeah, they don't seem to have electron blue, and I can't bring myself to drop 500 bones on it. I agree though, from appearance they seem to be the nicest. :cheers:

EDIT: No sooner do I write that, and I find it in EB. :lol:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just go out and get a GM NON Z06 bra, they are reasonable and work excellent. Do not bother with the Z06 one as it is a pain in the butt to put on and allows dirt to get under it where the vents are. On the highway you get plenty of air under the car anyway, its not like you will use it for drag racing.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
prospero63 said:
Yeah, they don't seem to have electron blue, and I can't bring myself to drop 500 bones on it. I agree though, from appearance they seem to be the nicest. :cheers:

EDIT: No sooner do I write that, and I find it in EB. :lol:

Here is a pic of a Speed Lingerie on my EB Z. They are very expensive but the overall quality is better than any other bra I have seen or used

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got the Colgan one piece as it covers more of the car and has headlight covers. :)

It is a real PITA to install. Seems about 4" too small. :flaming:

But after an hour of contortions, it does fit. Reinstalling is just a few minutes after the first fitting. :eek::

Took over a month to get ordering direct. :flaming:

Has these velour covered tabs that slide between the wheel well and the fender. Not such a great idea but they do work. :bang:

I use that clingy plastic that covers computer screens or removeable tint at the contact points - no marks of any kind. :)

Has a center air foil that does direct bugs and things over or to the side. Windshield is bug free after long trips. And perhaps rock free as well! :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have had the GM bra for several years, and I'm very pleased with it. Fits great, easy to put on and take off, never scratches (as long as its clean underneath), durable, and priced right.

Don't bother with the Z06 cutout bras: the vents behind the screens don't do anything for cooling. The Z06 screens are for show, not cooling. If you look at where those vents go, you'll see they don't do anything. The Z06 cools the same way as standard C5's - they are bottom feeders with all the cooling air ducted from the bottom of the car under the front bumper. The front brake cooling ducts are the smaller openings near the daytime running lights, and the GM bra has cutouts for those, which is all you need. The more cutouts a bra has, the more you run the risk of getting dirt under the bra and scratching the paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the GM Z06 model from LAPD on short notice. The initial install was a bit of a pain in the hinney, but overall an excellent value for the bucks. Excellent fit and it looks great. Did an 900-mile trip into the UP of Michigan and it performed flawlessly. Got home and removed it not a scratch or any dirt accumulation. It collected just about a million bugs though, splattered all to...... Just glad I had it. Saved hours of cleaning and untold damage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TKL-CLS said:
Just got the GM Z06 model from LAPD on short notice. The initial install was a bit of a pain in the hinney, but overall an excellent value for the bucks. Excellent fit and it looks great. Did an 900-mile trip into the UP of Michigan and it performed flawlessly. Got home and removed it not a scratch or any dirt accumulation. It collected just about a million bugs though, splattered all to...... Just glad I had it. Saved hours of cleaning and untold damage.
Yeah, I just picked up the one I pictured in this thread from west coast corvette. Got a set of blackouts as well. :yeadog:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with a clear bra and love it. I had a colgan on my black impala ss and it eventually scratched. I always put it on the car clean and wax on the nose. It's always a pain in the ass to put on. I wouldn't hesistate to do the clear bra again on all the cars. I hate the looks of the traditional car bra.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts