Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the subject says i want to change tranny and diff. fluids and want to see if any one has done a DIY for these with out a lift?

any help will be appriciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just changed my trans and rear end last weekend, no lift, set it up on jack stands in the driveway, you will need a small hand pump to get the fluid from the bottle to both the trans and rear end. I think it was $6 bucks at Kragens, piece of cake to do.
While I was at it I installed magnetic drain plugs in the rear end, trans and the engine. The biggest difference was the Royal Purple fluids in the trans and rear end, (still using Castrol 5/30 synthetic in the engine). I used the R P Syncromax in the trans and could really notice the difference on the first shift, it makes the gears just slide together in a very smooth motion and when you bang shifts it just seems to find its own way into the right slot. I highly recommend Royal Purple. I'm so pleased with the gear oil that I'm thinking of giving the engine oil a try.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well where are the drain plugs for the diff and the tranny? any one got pictures to point them out?

and same oil goes in the tranny and the diff?

i used the amsoil atf last time well did not feel much change with that so i want to try something else.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
any body know where i can pick up some Red Line D4 in virginia? i looked on their website and all the stores they mention don't carry it any more ( kinda makes me wonder why) ? So Mobil 1 or royal Purple which one do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Tranny takes 4 quarts of Dexron III ATF such as AMSOIL ATF. Diff takes two quarts of synthetic 75w90. AMSOIL just released AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 last fall which is well suited to our diff.

To change the tranny and diff fluid I put the car up on Rhino ramps.

Tranny drain plug is on lower passenger rear corner of tranny. Fill plug is center line driver's side about 2/3 the way to the top. The tranny temp plug goes into this same spot.

Diff drain plug is on the bottom of the diff by the leaf spring. The fill plug is in the upper right on the back. This takes an allen wrench, 6mm I think.

Although I know you are looking for another fluid, I feel the AMSOIL ATF and gear lubes are outstanding products. In my race this past weekend, I lost the differential axle half shaft seal on the diff halfway through the 26 lap race and lost at least a quart of my diff fluid. The diff got so hot I got a tranny high temp warning with 6 laps to go despite my tranny cooler... and that temp is taken from the tranny cooler return, so who knows how hot the tranny and diff really were (tranny warning comes in at 277 degrees). Despite these extreme temps, I was leading the National race and pressed on to the finish and both the diff and tranny worked fine through the checkered flag.

As a precaution, I'm going to have my tranny and diff rebuilt now. They both have three and a half total years, two and a half years of racing, and 16k total miles.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a transmission filter in a Z? Also if i turn the car on and let it idle for a while will that heat up my tranny or do i have to drive it for the tranny to get hot for the tranny fluid change?

and subdriver you sold me on Amsoil :) so i am going to pick it up today from a local dealer.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just put the SVG stuff in my financee's WRX in the trans and rear diff (front diff shares its oil with the trans). The trans shifted a bit smoother afterwards.

The wrx trans has a pretty balky first gear, the amsoil helped the downshift to 1st. Not like changing to a better trans sort of difference, but a bit. And every bit helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mgarfias said:
I just put the SVG stuff in my financee's WRX in the trans and rear diff (front diff shares its oil with the trans). The trans shifted a bit smoother afterwards.

The wrx trans has a pretty balky first gear, the amsoil helped the downshift to 1st. Not like changing to a better trans sort of difference, but a bit. And every bit helps.

so the SVG is that a tranny oil or a diff oil? and do i buy the SVG for the tranny or the ATF?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
MrKool said:
so the SVG is that a tranny oil or a diff oil? and do i buy the SVG for the tranny or the ATF?
SVG is the diff fluid, ATF is the tranny fluid.

While I'm happy to see I sold you on AMSOIL and I understand the convenience of a local dealer, for others reading this thread, please keep in my that sales via my dealership benefit my race team and this forum. Thanks for your support. :cheers:

Here is my dealership ordering info:
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well don't worry subdriver :) if i like the Amsoil this time you will be my permananet OIL guy :) i am switching to Amsoil 5w30 for engine as well.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
MrKool said:
well don't worry subdriver :) if i like the Amsoil this time you will be my permananet OIL guy :) i am switching to Amsoil 5w30 for engine as well.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I dropped you an email to make sure you knew about the Preferred Customer program, which is the best way to go for those who routinely use AMSOIL products. Most of my customers on this forum are Preferred Customers. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts