Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Have the car apart right now trying to hardwire my V1.

I've been following "Frank's" famous instructions, but have hit a snag (I think).

I have unplugged the stock harness from the car, and am working with it outside of the car. I have crimped the V1's harness' RED wire to the stock harness' YELLOW wire. All seems fine -- but what do I do with the stock harness' BLACK wire? I know the V1's harness' black wire gets grounded somewhere, but I'm not at that stage yet... So, what do I do with the loose stock black wire? Does it get connected to something? Or, does it just get electrical-taped to the orange wire and not go to anything?

Help!!

Thanks, folks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Kirt, It has been a while since I have done mine.

I believe that I connected the the cars stock harness' BLACK wire (ground) to the V1s BLACK wire (ground)

This is what is says on FRANKS V1 inst site:

Red from the V1 goes to yellow and black goes to black.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That was may father's take on it, too.

So, would you say I should strip a little of the V1's black wire's insulaion off, and wrap the stock black wire around that, and then electrical tape that up -- and then just ground the V1's black wire (which has the stock black wire piggy-backed on it) to a grounded screw or something behind the kick panel?

Just want to be SURE.

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
27 Posts
KMeloney said:

I have unplugged the stock harness from the car, and am working with it outside of the car. I have crimped the V1's harness' RED wire to the stock harness' YELLOW wire. All seems fine -- but what do I do with the stock harness' BLACK wire? I know the V1's harness' black wire gets grounded somewhere, but I'm not at that stage yet... So, what do I do with the loose stock black wire? Does it get connected to something? Or, does it just get electrical-taped to the orange wire and not go to anything?

Stock harness black wire is a ground wire. You can hook V1 black wire to it, or to some grounded part. If you don't use it, yes leave it taped up. When I did my install, I thought it was cleaner just to hook the black wires together. I just cut off the connector on the end of the V1 black wire and put the wires together with solder and shrinkwrap tubing the same way I connected the red and yellow wires (I just don't trust those blue splice connector thingies).

--Neil

·
Registered
134 Posts
The easiest way to ground the V-1 is to leave the stock u shaped end in tact, take a small wood screw from around the house and screw it in the hole on the bottom of the computer. The screw seats nicely in the plastic underneath and allows you to connect the u-shaped piece between the screw and the computer thus providing a ground.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JKLNHDE said:
The easiest way to ground the V-1 is to leave the stock u shaped end in tact, take a small wood screw from around the house and screw it in the hole on the bottom of the computer. The screw seats nicely in the plastic underneath and allows you to connect the u-shaped piece between the screw and the computer thus providing a ground.
Hmmm.. Ok. Now, what I did was strip some of the V1's black wire's insulation off (roughly in the middle of the wire), and soldered the car's harness' black wire to it. Then, I took the free u-shaped end of the V1's black wire and ran it to a bolt coming up from through the floor in the lower right hand corner of the electrical space there. It looks just like one of the seat rail mounting bolts. I unscrewed the nut on it, wedged the u-shaped end under it, and tightened the nut back down...

...Is that a decent ground? Everything seems to work fine, so I imagine(d) it's ok.

Thanks!

-Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts