Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some maintenance today I noticed I have corded a tire after a charity race day (on street tires - it was supposed to be a go slow day - yeah right!). I am told that tires in the right sizes will be available (that is delivered to the docks in Australia) in mid March! So I need to buy whatever is available right now and see if it will work for my daily driver.

I can get Toyo Proxes T1R right now in 245/40R17 and 275/35R18. These are close to the stock diameters and therefore have no issues with AH but are undesirably narrow (minus 20mm front and rear).

Second option is Yokohama AVS right now in 265/40R17 and 285/40R18. These are close to the right widths but the rears are much taller than stock. The rear/front size ratio would go from 1.03 stock to 1.06 and the diameter differential goes from 0.78 inches stock to 1.63 inches. I have a suspicion that this combo would look particularly cool with the bigger rears.

Some words of wisdom from RocketSled below make complete sense if the fronts get bigger.

"If you change the ratio too much, you fool AH/TC and the effectiveness of these systems is degraded.

Example: going to a larger relative front tire diameter. For any given road speed, this set up looks to the computer as if the front tires are turning slower relative to the rears. Or viewed alternately, it makes the computer think the rear tires are going faster relative to the fronts. The AH/TC system determines if the rear wheels are spinning by comparing the computed front/rear rotational speeds (based on it's programmed-in assumption about how different the front/rear diameters are). A larger front tire will "fool" the handling computer into intervening at a lower relative front/rear wheel speed. TC and AH will cut in sooner, and AH may make "bad" decisions about how much intervention is required. "

What happens if the rears get larger? TC may kick in late since it thinks the rear are already slow. ABS may unload the rears earlier because it thinks they are slipping. Anything else dramatic?

What tires would you choose from the two options above?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had Yokohama AVS Sports. They are good tires. They don't give you much warning though. They don't have that sweet spot where they communicate the limit. It's either adhesion or too late.

Yokohama AVS ES100's, on the other hand, just plain suck. Worst max performance tires I've ever had.

The Z06 I test drove had those Toyo's and they seemed pretty nice, but I don't have much to compare it to on that car.

I have Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on my Supra TT right now and they are unbelievably good tires.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Have you tried all the tires stores in austrialia? I'd keep looking for another store who might have what you actually need in stock..

You keep tires for quite a few miles usually. Best to buy whats correct for the car.

Even if you need to have one tire air shipped to you.

Www.tirerack.com ?

Hell if you pay the air freight? I have a local buddy who hit a curb on his Z06 tire...Its missing a little chunk of tire but the local corvette dealer tech siad its probably fine The tire has 1640 miles on it..... I think if you pay for shipping you can have the rear tire for free.

If you need just one rear tire? I'm sure it will get you through till march...(if you have cords showing through more than one tire..we'll then your back to square one..Just thought I could help..)

He was cleaning out his basement yesterday after the workout at the gym so don't hestitate to let me know quickly..

JMO...how much could it cost to ship?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a mix of T-1S on the front and T-1R on the rear. Absolutely fantastic for my kind of driving--especially in the rain here in South Florida. Very good traction and also very quiet. I recommend you try and wait the arrival or just order and pay the freight-you will anyway. The correct size is important. BTW, how about a thread on your right hand drive conversion--all the details etc. Please. I wil probably wind up in Australia or NZ and I plan to bring the beast.:z:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

JBsZ06: thanks for the offer but it is a front that is corded on the shoulder but the other front is half bald anyway. The rears have a little more life but likely won't last till March. I have 20k+ miles on these tires.

I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday talking to a dozen or so retailers around the country. While it is not practical for me to ring every retail store in the country, these sizes are not kept in stock by anyone other than the 3 or 4 different brand wholesalers and they have all been contacted.

I air freighted wheels once to Australia. The air freight cost was not quite USD$1000 with another USD$200 customs fee (and still took 3 weeks including customs clearance). I could sea freight them for around USD$100 but then I would get them in March anyway.

Either of these tire options will cost USD$1600 for the set and if I air freight them that will add another USD$1200 for a total of USD$2800. Air freight to Australia is just not practical for anything big.

I'll probably take the Toyos to keep me going and have a spare set of Goodyear street tires and Nitto race tires sea freighted. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Here's some info on the conversions:

http://www.corvettesdownunder.com.au/pages/visitors.htm
http://www.corvette.com.au/index.asp?Sec_ID=18

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Zed,

I think anyone here in the US can get you the correct size tires cheaper then $1600. Hell you can get Kuhmo MX's in the correct size for $980 or so. The trick is getting them to you and how to do that. If you want someone here in the states to help you let me know. The tire rack has the stock GY's or Michelin PS or the Kumhos. All of them come in the 295's and 265's or if you want the 275's for the front. Good luck.:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts