Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me start of by saying :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

i got me a BPP shifter and well now when i went to install it this stock shifter is not comming off :( the button/knob/pin wot eva it is called i can not get it out for the life of me.

here is wot it looks like now i really need some advice

I tried the vice grip to pry it off and well i dunno what this thing is made off but it just squished and well i tried again and again trying to get a good grip with no luck. So then i drilled a hole into it and drove a screw into it and wehn it was int ehre good i tried to pull with that and well the treads of the screw wore off the screw became like a plain stick. Now i really am pissed at this thing and want to get it out. I even tried the liquid wrench and still nothing. So please please please help me

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Its been a long time..but I don't see the pin in your photo...

Just curious what that grey material is in your photo...(compared to vette essentials photo)

Hope the link above helps as does this search listing "demon key" http://www.z06vette.com/forums/search.php?searchid=491348

I think that grey felt sheet under the shift pattern plastic inside the shift knob looks like it needs to be cut or removed...I think thats why
your having trouble . (but its just a guess..)

Follow vette essential mods from there and you should be good to go..

·
Registered
267 Posts
I feel your pain, buddy. Looks like your pin is damaged to much to apply the conventional method of removal. When it is damaged this bad the first thing you should do is make sure you have a new one to install when you get this one out.

The pin is soft and drills easily. I suggest that you again go back to using the drill and drill out as much of the pin as possible, then use a very small chisel to collapse the pin into the drilled hole and pull it out with your vise grips or needle nose pliers.

This requires patience as you do not want to damage the shifter shaft with the drill bit. The pin is softer than the shaft so take your time and you will eventually get it.

When installing your new shifter knob do not drive the pin into the shifter shaft too much, just lightly tap it into place and it will be easier to remove next time.

Kurt

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I don't see the head of the devil pin? Are you sure cutting or pulling the grey portion out thats under the plastic shift pattern a little would allow you to get to the sides of the demon pin head)?

Or (and I apologize up front) did the head of the pin break off?

Then follow the good advice in the above post...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
JBsZ06 said:
I don't see the head of the devil pin? Are you sure cutting or pulling the grey portion out thats under the plastic shift pattern a little would allow you to get to the sides of the demon pin head)?

Or (and I apologize up front) did the head of the pin break off?

Then follow the good advice in the above post...
yes it did the head is gone a little by little like it was made of soft cookie dough or some every time i tried to hold it with vice grips the head would disappear a little more so finally what you see in the pics is me drilling holes in the none head part of the DEVIL KEY. so it is just the stem with my drilled holes in it.

SPRFAST thanks for the idea i think that looks like my only option i got another after market momo knob on its way so if drilling does not work i am going to let this stock knob and key know who wears the pants in this relationship :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
You will still need to get e new key from GM, the after factory knobs do not come with keys. Good luck. Use a center punch to get your drill bit started in the right place. A variable speed drill will work the best.

Kurt

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
SPRFAST said:
You will still need to get e new key from GM, the after factory knobs do not come with keys. Good luck. Use a center punch to get your drill bit started in the right place. A variable speed drill will work the best.

Kurt
Don't most aftermarket shift knobs use other meathods of attachment?

I don't think you need the demon key as long as you use a most aftermarket shift knobs...

·
Registered
267 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Don't most aftermarket shift knobs use other meathods of attachment?

I don't think you need the demon key as long as you use a most aftermarket shift knobs...

You could very well be right, I needed one for the shift knob I used. I would check with the supplier.

Kurt

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I had to really FIGHT to get my stock knob off too-hit my forehead once it came loose:rofl: I think I ended up using a flat screw driver on the side pin and it just popped out

BELIEVE me, many many people have had difficulty getting that darn thing OFF! I was at a car show and decided to change out my knob because I was bored, :lol: and all it took was somebody else trying it and bam, it was off!

is there another site member in the area who can help?

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I think you have no chioce but to drill it out.

You are at the point of no return.

Have a little vacuum ready to suck up all the mangled pieces.

If that fails just cut the shifter shaft below the knob and thow that POS away. You could use a hacksaw or a cutoff tool.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Put some penetrating oil in there and let it soak in, that would help.

The best answer is the following, leave the knob in place since you are getting rid of the whole shifter and putting in a BPP as I have. Order a MGW knob or knob of your choice to put on the BPP shifter. You will not need the pin since all the other knobs screw on or use set screws. Don't fight the problem anymore go around it. :z:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
What about El Booto.

You need to get the knob off at some point to get the boot off.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If your Demon pin is broke off flush with the Knob (that's the way it looks to me from the photo), your only course of action is to drill it out. The Demon pin is only used with the stock shifter knob and is not needed with aftermarket knobs. Let us know how you make out. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well finally got it out :) i am attaching the pics below but if you are weak hearted i advise you not to look at the pics.

Pic of the shifter without the knob

Pic of the Knob and what is left of the KEYY :) (who is laughing now haan key who is laughing NOW :pp: )

tools that helped me murder the Key

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Congrats, now you know why they call it the Demon Pin. :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts