Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching 4 post lifts for about a month. they all have great features and seem right for my needs. Fellow Forum member Bob Holinski invited me over to his place to check out his Superior lift purchased through a group purchase on the Corvetteforum.com. It was very nice and well built. The only draw back was I would have to order it from the States and it would be at least 6 weeks, plus I would have to arrange shipping, brokerage, duty, and I would have to install it myself. The next day I went and looked at a "Double Park" lift. The Canadian distributor "David Free" was only 20 minutes from my house. I went there today and he had around 4 setup. He let me drive my wifes 2001 Monte carlo SS in under it and check to see how tight it was to the mirrors. It also had the same features as the Superior Lift. He wanted $5400 Canadian (3300 US) for his lift. What that included was delivery and setup, and three drip trays. I asked him when I could get one installed in my garage. He said he could have one setup and running in my garage by 6 oclock tonight. That was the clincher... SOLD!!!. He shows up at 5 oclock with a lift all assembled allready on a flat bed tow truck, one hour later I have a three car garage! I did not think I could get my wifes Monte carlo underneath until I raised the garage door, but to my surprise, it fits right now!! I will be raising the door so I can take the lift to full height and then Deb won't even have to duck her head when entering and exiting the car. David also said, if for some reason, it just isn't working out for us, he will come and load it up and take it away free of charge! Now that is service!!
Here is a link to more pics of my lift
http://members.shaw.ca/toyzforboyz/Garage.htm

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That looks way cool man. Nice lookin setup you have there.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
2002:

Awfullly nice!!!!

I've been dreaming of a 4 post lift for 3 years and still haven't got it.....Congrats!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a ten foot ceiling! When I get the garage door raised the extra 12 inches and I take it to full height, I believe I will be about 6 inches from the ceiling.:cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very nice 2002!

I have been talking to David also and he seems like a stand-up kind of guy. I plan on ordering one from him in the Spring.

Thanks and congrats!!! :guiness:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I guess if I ever build an additional 1 or 2 car garage out back, I'll have to make sure the ceilings are high enough for future upgrades.

Do you have some kind of setup to raise the wheels off of the lift?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by gmblack3
Do you have some kind of setup to raise the wheels off of the lift? ]

This is what I have:

JACK BRIDGE -

USE: ENABLES YOU TO PLACE YOUR OWN SMALL BOTTLE JACK, SMALL FLOOR JACK, OR SMALL JACK STANDS IN TO REMOVE TIRES OR OTHER RELATED MECHANIC WORK. SOME CUSTOMERS WHO USE LIFT FOR LONG-TERM STORAGE AND WANT TO REMOVE TIRES FROM THE CAR WILL PURCHASE TWO JACK BRIDGES AND WITH FOUR JACK STANDS CAN REMOVE ALL FOUR TIRES FOR LONG-TERM STORAGE.

OPERATION: THE JACK BRIDGE IS A HEAVY-DUTY PIECE OF CHANNEL WITH ANGLE WELDED FOR SUPPORT. THE JACK BRIDGE IS PLACED BETWEEN THE TWO MAIN RAMPS AND ACTUALLY RESTS ON THE MAIN PORTION OF THE RAMPS FOR ADDED STABILITY. SINCE THE LIFT HAS A POWDER COATED FINISH THE BRIDGE WILL EASILY SLIDE ALONG THE RAMPS. IT WAS RECOMMENDED BY THE ENGINEER THAT TESTED THE LIFT TO NOT MAKE THE BRIDGE WITH ROLLERS BECAUSE IF THE BRIDGE IS NOT POSITIONED PROPERLY IT WOULD HAVE A TENDENCY TO "KICK OUT" FROM UNDERNEATH THE JACK OR JACK STAND.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Very Nice. Now if I just had a garage LOL.

Actually how tall is the lift? My wife has a Durango and I am wondering if her car would fit under it?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Most lifts reach clearance heights of over 70 inches. Most SUVs will fit but you have to have a tall garage to be able to lift the upper car that high.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
silly question, but...

...would you mind measuring and telling me how tall the bar is that runs from post to post? I know you have ramps that go in front, and raise the car up as you drive up onto the lift.

However, I have one car that is lowered quite a bit with an exhaust that sits low (long tubes and the accompanying H-pipes on Mustangs sit very low...lower the car at all and you've got about 2.5" of clearance at the lowest point).

I've got plenty of garage space, but have been considering a lift out of convenience. But, I don't want to be scraping the bottom of my cars on that center bar that runs laterally from post to post.

Also, did you just get the standard length ramps for yours...and I guess the Z didn't scrape at all?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: silly question, but...

WA 2 FST said:
...would you mind measuring and telling me how tall the bar is that runs from post to post? I know you have ramps that go in front, and raise the car up as you drive up onto the lift.

However, I have one car that is lowered quite a bit with an exhaust that sits low (long tubes and the accompanying H-pipes on Mustangs sit very low...lower the car at all and you've got about 2.5" of clearance at the lowest point).

I don't want to be scraping the bottom of my cars on that center bar that runs laterally from post to post.

Also, did you just get the standard length ramps for yours...and I guess the Z didn't scrape at all?

Thanks a lot!
If I understand which bar you are asking about it is 4 inches high. My ramps are standard 30 inch ones. My car is lowered quite a bit. The body sits 3 inches off the ground, and the front air dam only two inches off the ground. I have my car backed on the lift, when I backed it on I don't think it scraped at all. But when I went forward to align it better it scraped the front. Not sure what was scraping, the air dam or something else. I am getting those roller frame savers made and they should help a lot. I might have to get the longer ramps, I just haven't driven on and off the lift enough to know yet. Hope this helped.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Re: Re: silly question, but...

2002blackZ06 said:

If I understand which bar you are asking about it is 4 inches high. My ramps are standard 30 inch ones. My car is lowered quite a bit. The body sits 3 inches off the ground, and the front air dam only two inches off the ground. I have my car backed on the lift, when I backed it on I don't think it scraped at all. But when I went forward to align it better it scraped the front. Not sure what was scraping, the air dam or something else. I am getting those roller frame savers made and they should help a lot. I might have to get the longer ramps, I just haven't driven on and off the lift enough to know yet. Hope this helped.
Yessir, you nailed it. Thank you!

I was thinking the longer ramps would be mandatory, and I know many companies who sell these types of lifts offer 42-44" ramps...I'm willing to bet that would allow you to drive the car on forwards.

Congrats, and enjoy! Very sweet setup!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ten foot high two car garage. Three cars, Eagle four post lift. You can drive a Z06 headon with the standard ramps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts