Corvette Z06 Forum banner

I plan to buy a used C6 Z06, and I have so many questions for anyone who can offer advice or insight

5456 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  northern
I am looking to get a C6 Z06 and I have so many questions for which I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me. I am looking to spend $40k tops, and ideally I want something with less than 30k or even 40k miles. I will be dealing with a very large Corvette specialty dealer that has many resources across the country to help me find the car that's right for me. I had a chance to drive a 2007 Z06 while visiting this dealership, and even though I didn't get up beyond 35 MPH on local roads, I instantly loved everything about the way the car drove.
With regard to specific issues, I guess I’ll break it down by subject matter -
Years/options to look for: I know 2008 + gets the T6060 and 2009 + gets a larger sump capacity oil system, and 2007+ gets the carbon fiber center trim and at some year the quality of the seats got better. I know I don’t want magnetic ride control due to the huge cost of maintenance (replacing shocks/etc when they wear out). I also think I want to try to find one with the 3LZ package and nice leather (if that would even be possible on my budget). Any other options I should look for/avoid? Some choices better than others?
Warranty/valve guide issues: I want to keep the car as close to stock as possible, with the main consideration of not having the engine grenade with no available warranty or service plan. I will obviously need an aftermarket third-party warranty. Is it better to get such a warranty and roll the dice with the valve guides? Will such a warranty cover the engine as “modified” if I do the valve guide fix? Will any warranty service cover a slightly modified car (mild cam, intake/tune, stuff like that)? Is there any way to pull the heads and check to see if the valves are close to having any issues, and will such measures me cost-prohibitive? Would a warranty pay for a new crate LS7, or just a rebuilt used old one with a shit ton of miles on it?
Is there anything else I should know to look for, or is there any guidance any C6 Z06 veterans can offer me? The car would be my daily driver, rain or shine, replacing a 2015 Infiniti Q50 that I am so sick of due to its terrible slush box automatic and generally underpowered (in my view) and uninspired engine. I drove a lowered and modded (bolt-ons) 2005 Mustang GT for 13 years as well, which I still have.
What is your personal opinion on the best color option? I’m leaning toward black or silver, but would only get black if I could figure out how to keep it looking clean (waxing once a month is no problem).
Best sounding catback? My extensive research leads me to believe that the Borla ATAK give the type of sound I’m looking for, but I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks so much!!
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I will give you a few of my opinions on what you are looking for. Take them for what they are worth, zero.
I have a '13 my transmission in the morning when cold does not like to shift into second gear the very first shift. After the first shift its fine. It may be that the cold trans fluid doesn't like moving until it moves a few hundred yards. Who knows.
Prices are going up on all used cars and it seems like the C6 Z06's have moved in that direction a bit also. They are by no means "hot", but like everything else with inflation, they have moved up. They definitely are not still depreciating. I have noticed two Z06's on Bring A Trailer sell, one for $42K with 30,000 miles. There is a '10 on there right now with bidding at $42K + and it has less than 10,000 miles on it. Both cars are 1LZ's. So that's just a few examples to give you an idea of what you may have to pay for a Z06.
As for color buy what you like, there is no wrong color on a good solid car.
Buying a mechanical break down warranty is going to be terribly expensive. Last time I looked for one for my car from GM the price was north of $3K. If the warranty company determines that any of you modifications to the car caused the part to fail you are SOL. I would forget about the warranty.
The heads are another matter. Most people will tell you unless the car you are buying already has some monster cam in it with .660 lift it will probably be fine. I did my heads only because I was looking for a little more power. I could have gone aftermarket, however I wanted keep my stock heads. One thing you can look at is to see if the head bolts have been replaced. I don't think any engine builder would put stock head bolts back on. My guy used ARP bolts. Most builders swear by ARP, so if you see ARP stamped head bolts the heads have already been off, and maybe been fixed. Everyone seems to only replace the exhaust valves, my tech says to watch out for the trunion bearings too. If a previous owner has done the heads they will have the paperwork for the work done. No paperwork, the work has not been done.
Keep your Mustang for your beater car. I would not consider a Z06 a great daily driver.
You said you only drove one up to about 35 mph. That is no way to tell how great these cars are on the open road. They seen to really settle down about 80 mph. Next one you drive just tell the seller you want to hit the highway and get the car up to speed, you will see what I mean.
Good hunting for a Z06. Hope you find a car that you like. If you get one post some pictures.
See less See more
A few thoughts. Rethink those exhausts. If this is a daily driver you will be listening to plenty of gravel and loud road noise as it is.

Go with a manual transmission. I really gets expensive to service automatics. If you do not track it then an automatic is OK. Service it when you get it however.

Do not be afraid of the magnetic shocks. My 2011 Yukon has em. I just replaced them at 180,000 miles, not because they needed it, but because the air shock part of the rear shocks was no longer holding air. So I said screw it, I will do the fronts too. I also had them on my 208,000 mile 2010 V. I never wore out the fronts. I replaced the backs twice because they leaked. My Z07 has them and I still love them.

If you start screwing with it a warranty will not help. I would spend some time and figure out which Vettes have engine issues and why. Then run away.

In terms of warranties, there are guys that can tell you who discounts GM supplemental warranties. It is worth checking out. DO NOT buy other aftermarket warranties. Avoid the cars that already have known issues out of the box.

One thing I found out about my Z07 is that it is a race car on the street. That being said, it is not a cruiser by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to cruise consider a standard Vette with your 3 package.

If you start modding it you will soon find yourself in it up to your eyeballs. That will make you a regular on this site trying to figure out why the mod you made screwed up three other things and was not what you thought it was in the first place.

There are a bunch of garage queens that come up for sale. Get one. Low mileage. Only driven to Sunday School by a little old octogenarian (sp?) 1st grade teacher. Most are old guys like me who can't get in or out of the damn things so they don't drive them.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Where do you live? How far is your daily commute? Daily driving may not be suitable in all conditions/geographical areas.
Go with a manual transmission. I really gets expensive to service automatics. If you do not track it then an automatic is OK. Service it when you get it however.
IIRC the C6 Z06 only came with a manual transmission.
Would a warranty pay for a new crate LS7, or just a rebuilt used old one with a shit ton of miles on it?
GM recently discontinued the LS7 engine.

LS7 and LS427/570 Engines Discontinued by Chevrolet
LS7 and LS427/570 Engines Discontinued by Chevrolet
About exhaust system - my son had me pull the fuse for the exhaust valves so they are always open which makes it louder all the time, not just over a certain RPM and certain level of gas pedal input. Pulling the fuse causes some booming noice inside while at idle. Still, he would like me to get a louder exhaust system.
I am looking to get a C6 Z06 and I have so many questions for which I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me. I am looking to spend $40k tops, and ideally I want something with less than 30k or even 40k miles. I will be dealing with a very large Corvette specialty dealer that has many resources across the country to help me find the car that's right for me. I had a chance to drive a 2007 Z06 while visiting this dealership, and even though I didn't get up beyond 35 MPH on local roads, I instantly loved everything about the way the car drove.
With regard to specific issues, I guess I’ll break it down by subject matter -
Years/options to look for: I know 2008 + gets the T6060 and 2009 + gets a larger sump capacity oil system, and 2007+ gets the carbon fiber center trim and at some year the quality of the seats got better. I know I don’t want magnetic ride control due to the huge cost of maintenance (replacing shocks/etc when they wear out). I also think I want to try to find one with the 3LZ package and nice leather (if that would even be possible on my budget). Any other options I should look for/avoid? Some choices better than others?
Warranty/valve guide issues: I want to keep the car as close to stock as possible, with the main consideration of not having the engine grenade with no available warranty or service plan. I will obviously need an aftermarket third-party warranty. Is it better to get such a warranty and roll the dice with the valve guides? Will such a warranty cover the engine as “modified” if I do the valve guide fix? Will any warranty service cover a slightly modified car (mild cam, intake/tune, stuff like that)? Is there any way to pull the heads and check to see if the valves are close to having any issues, and will such measures me cost-prohibitive? Would a warranty pay for a new crate LS7, or just a rebuilt used old one with a shit ton of miles on it?
Is there anything else I should know to look for, or is there any guidance any C6 Z06 veterans can offer me? The car would be my daily driver, rain or shine, replacing a 2015 Infiniti Q50 that I am so sick of due to its terrible slush box automatic and generally underpowered (in my view) and uninspired engine. I drove a lowered and modded (bolt-ons) 2005 Mustang GT for 13 years as well, which I still have.
What is your personal opinion on the best color option? I’m leaning toward black or silver, but would only get black if I could figure out how to keep it looking clean (waxing once a month is no problem).
Best sounding catback? My extensive research leads me to believe that the Borla ATAK give the type of sound I’m looking for, but I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks so much!!
I have a 2008 Z06 with 25,000 miles that I bought new. It is my second car while my primary one is a 4-wheel drive truck. Corvettes are not very good in Colorado snow, as I found in a 93 I used to own (I did not check the weather report). I 've had very few problems with the 2006 Z06. The GPS/Entertaiment system went blank the second month I bought it. An updated software load (I found) would have fixed it, but the dealer replaced the whole thing at no cost. The original tires went bald at 10K miles (they are soft), but that was 5 years into my ownership. The next thing that went out at the 8-year point was one of the hood struts lost strength. The dealer wanted $150 to replace them. I found a pair at Oreilly's for $19. It took less than a minute each to change. Since I don't drive it as much as I should, my battery has died several times. That is an issue because for the Z06 the battery is in the back behind the passenger seat. I believe for regular C6's it's in the engine compartment. It is a pain to replace. I wrote a procedure based on what other owners wrote in this web site (attached). It takes at least one hour to replace, but I take my time. The dealer wants $150 for labor. As for options, the 2006 Z06 did not have an automatic transmission option, removable roof, or magnetic control. Mine had the 3LZ option which meant every option in the book. If I am buying a use one, the main thing is to check that you can get in and out with NO power (i.e. dead battery). GM did a good job with the C6, but dealers do not cover that when you buy it.

Attachments

See less See more
Having just gone through this exact exercise last year, here are my 2 cents. In this market, with your budget (which isn't bad), you'll probably be looking at an 06 or 07 2lz. We have an 06 which is reportedly the lightest and most aggressively tuned from GM. Also, as you get into the later model years, there were A LOT fewer made from say 10 - 13.
Here's the rub; $40k will get you a 30k mile 2lz but probably with heads not addressed. $45k is more of the ballpark for heads fixed Z. We preferred a bone stock car that we could take to our shop of choice to have the heads corrected (that way you know for sure). I wouldn't go the warranty route; just address the issue. Just find an unmolested, low mile, clean carfax, no DTC code example in the color YOU like and have the heads corrected by a reputable shop in your area and you'll be good to go. Good luck.
See less See more
About exhaust system - my son had me pull the fuse for the exhaust valves so they are always open which makes it louder all the time, not just over a certain RPM and certain level of gas pedal input. Pulling the fuse causes some booming noice inside while at idle. Still, he would like me to get a louder exhaust system.
Is it your son's car or your's?? Put the fuse back and drive it in comfort! He wants loud....he can buy
his own car!!
Is it your son's car or your's?? Put the fuse back and drive it in comfort! He wants loud....he can buy
his own car!!

looool his son has good taste tho!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts