Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of talk here about aftermarket intake ducts. I have thought about this and have come up with, in my mind, an ideal intake duct. I would start developement/testing around this design.

1. Big conical filter (good symetrical flow). At least 1000 cfm flow rating (1.5 times engine need for good pressure recovey).

2. Hyperbolic radius bellmouth duct inlet protruding inside the filter (for smooth accelerating flow).

3. Tapered duct (3 to 5 degrees) that maintains the taper through the cobra (flatened) portion (constantly accelerating the flow).

4. Duct would be rotomolded nylon 11 or 12 material (cheap, tough, and a good insulator).

This would require a bigger MAF sensor or relocating the existing sensor closer to the thorttle body. Normally I would suggest at least 10 duct diameters between the MAF and the throttle to avoid interaction but it might be worth a test to see if the stock '02 sensor would work ok.

This combination should increase flow ~ 10%.
Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Roger,

Your on to something here. I allways wondered why c5 did not induce air via hood ala stinger. Maybe on the C6......

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine math model that I use, Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro (aero-thermal model), does have the ability to input and assess runner taper. But it's not much good for modeling upstream of the throttle plate. I still can't use this model for the LS6 because I don't have internal measurements or head flow data.

I have used a SuperFlo 600 head flow bench to measure the affects of various intakes. A good intake only reduces head flow numbers by 5 to 7%. The worst one I saw lost 15%.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The ideal air duct is the one that works best for you. Not to sound patronizing but over the years I've had my share of success and failures with performance improvements.

Intake is a tempting place to start since torque impoves along with horsepower. After many outings with cams, heads and exhaust "improvements" I was usually surprised and dismayed by the accompanying reduction in low end grunt or torque as these mods shifted the car's designed powerbands.

So far I have successfully avoided intake improvements with the exception of a K&N filter replacement, which, BTW I can tell NO difference from the stock. Idle relearns, potential surging and need for mass air intervention (MAFT) all discourage me from experimenting with the most robust stock configuration that I have ever encountered. There is something to be said for just putting in gas and going... the path to improvement can be long and expensive with the goal always just out of reach.

I'm sure someone will figger this one out and when they do I will likely be aboard but, at present, there is simply not enough data for a prudent decision at a consumer level.

Long ago, back in my college days, I had a VW Bug with open air filter and headers. Added about 7 ponies but sure SOUNDED like I was going much faster. Without detailed bench flow statistics, I think some of that appears to be at work with the current genre' of intake products for our Z06's.

Improvement over stock? You bet! $600 worth? Jury's still out. JMHO

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
VW HP

Roger, don't know your age, but 7 hp on a 36 or 42 HP base is quite a shot. Lets see, 7/36 = about 20 %. On my Z06 that is about 0.2 x 405 = about 80 horsepower. Where do I sign up? Achtung! Z06Y Lady, craving horsepower, :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HUH?

Z06Y Lady said:
Roger, don't know your age, but 7 hp on a 36 or 42 HP base is quite a shot. Lets see, 7/36 = about 20 %. On my Z06 that is about 0.2 x 405 = about 80 horsepower. Where do I sign up? Achtung! Z06Y Lady, craving horsepower, :D
Did I miss something? I must have fallen asleep again. I didn't say anything about 20%.

And, what's my age got to do with it?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Memories

Roger Ramjet said:

Did I miss something? I must have fallen asleep again. I didn't say anything about 20%.

And, what's my age got to do with it?
\

You said 7 hp on a VW. My first had 36 horsepower. I did the numbers, 7/36 = 20%. It seems clear as a bell. Course if you think of VWs with 200 hp the message is lost. Your age is critical to understanding the answer. Yes, you missed the message. Probably by a lot of years. Z06Y Lady, remembering the People's Car. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Z06Y Lady -

Please re-read my posts for comprehension.

Hope you're more alert for work today. Maybe you should take it easy on the coffee and sugar on the week-ends.

By the way, I meet JFK before he was president. Does that give you some idea of how old I am? And, yes, I do remember that the original US Bugs had 36 HP. Somewhere in the '60s they entered the HP wars and got all the way up to 50 HP.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BrianK said:
I have used EAP since the initial versions (I was a beta tester). It is a very good piece of softare and *extremely* useful.

I am also looking for more internal data on the LS6 to build a model. I now have the cam.
I test for Kevin also. I sent him some head flow files he wanted for a new project a few weeks ago. I asked him if he had a Gen III SB model - not yet.

I have the LS1 cam, '01 LS6, and the '02 LS6 cams but no head flow or intake/exhaust measurements. If you get any info, please share.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
NOW,

Right on. No bang for the buck from where I sit.

Good post.

:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts