Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

In the middle of my intercooled magnacharger install (just finished putting the front end back together after drilling into the harmonizer, etc) and am starting to replace the fuel pump....

heres the problem - need to have the tank at 1/8th or less and I am nearly full. I cannot get a siphon tube down into the tank and hooking up a line to the actual fuel line doesnt work - unless theres some sort of bypass so it always runs when the ignition is in the 'on' position.

basically, any input or help is appreciated - so far this is the only thing holding me back from serious progress :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
The only three ways that I know of is to drop it (the tank), burn it or syphon it.

Why can't you get a syphon down the fuel filler hole?

I hate to say this now, but I would've considered this before I tore into the project. It never hurts to read over the instructions at least once before you start a project like that.

X

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome Itsaz06 :) my email is [email protected]

Problem with siphoning is that the tube wont go down - its like they made the gas piping jagged purposefully to discourage siphoning. Anywho, Ill see what itsaz06's manual has to say :) last resort Ill drop the fuel tank and pull it out that way with a siphon.

Oh yeah, I was an idiot by filling up a day before the install date - then reading the manual THAT NIGHT and finding out I needed to have it at 1/8th, lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Spytech,
Just sent you an email. They have you drain from the fuel feed pipes at the back of the tank. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saweeeet - you are the man - I think this will work perfectly :)

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
You could finish all the front end work then drive (easy) until you get to reserve then install fuel pump. Your current fuel pump is sufficient unless you are going directly to the track :) :) Even at 1/8> you still will get a lot of gas running out as I did when I swap mine out.

George

·
Registered
140 Posts
you can leave the fuel rail disconnected and then turn the key to on and let the stock pump pump out all of the feul into a bucket... you will have to make some sort of connector for a longer hose to reach the bucket... just a thought.. it should work..

Luke

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update - thanks for the replies today also :)

Using the manual ItsaZ06 sent me I was able to disconnect the rear tank fuel lines and simply drain them into a container. Worked perfectly and only took 30 minutes.

George- you are right - even with the tanks 'empty' we still got a nice surprise when we pulled the fuel pump ;)

Luke - that method does not work - as the pump only runs for a split second when you turn the key to on - then it disengages - so you would have to keep turning the key off/on :\ Thanks though :)

So far we got the SC installed and I ran it for 10-15 seconds to make sure everything is good to go (it is). Tomorrow Ill take the car off the stands and install the guages and take it for a spin!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you send me info on draining a C5 fuel tank please? It has been sitting a couple years and I am getting it going again. My email is [email protected]
Thanks, Jim
Jim..did you ever get instructions on how to drain the fuel. I have inherited an '01 Z06 that has been sitting for several years. Need to drain the gas to get her loaded on the trailer. Greatly appreciate any help.
Tom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts