Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wallet is now $390.00 lighter b/c I had to have my car flatbedded to the dealership in Newport News, VA from Panzer's garage party today (about 170 miles south). The tow would have beed over $500 but a guy knew a guy.

The remote bleeder line was fished up by the brake booster reservior and zip-tied to my washer fluid line for easy access. Well the braided stainless line chafed and rubbed a hold in my damn fuel line and it was pissing fuel all over my left Kooks header... talk about a fire hazard.

Check yours if you have it mounted in this way, it might save you a huge headache. BTW the line is not seviceable per the manuals and must be replaced.

Cya,
Brian

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
that blows.... i guess you could look on the bright side, at least you found it and your car isn't a crispy shell from catching on fire...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Glad you made it home Brian! Sorry that had to happen...Get it fixed and head to VIR. That will put the smile back on your face! :thumb:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wow!

first-I am glad you made it home safe

and second-that was a quick diagnosis, awsome.

hope to see you back on the track VERY soon

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know you were really bumbed today (at Panzer's garage\mod get together). Sorry it happened. I am glad though that it was detected before you were melted on the side of the road.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Damn Brian, if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have none! You've more patience than me. I'd have thrown the towel in by now...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry to hear. Sometimes the more we modify them the more problems we create. :cheers:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
landbaron said:
I know you were really bumbed today (at Panzer's garage\mod get together). Sorry it happened. I am glad though that it was detected before you were melted on the side of the road.
yeh he was for sure-but he STILL helped me out with my vette, even though he knew his was broken! :ity:

AWSOME guy :jammin:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Thanks Leslie... glad I could help out, I hope they don't rub too bad for you. You can always adjust them as needed and keep an eye on the hoses.

I can't really say that I have mutch more patience for this car... I was very pissed yesterday and I hope I didn't offend anyone with intermitent swearing etc.

I really hate wasting money on stupid shit... this is the 3rd time the car has had to be flatbedded in the past month or so... clutch broke, fuel injector wiring harness chafed through, and now this... it sucks.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Brian,
You are like a lighting rod for bad luck. Really sorry to hear about this, but, as mentioned above, glad you caught it before your car was a fire ball.

What line did it chaff? I thought the fuel line itself was aeroquip braided hose?

Thanks for the heads up though. Very good info.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
The line was chaffed halfway down the the firewall, it is the lie that the braided line attaches to. I believe it is black plastic.

Brian Glad you made it home.

They are going to have to replace that whole section of line.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
IVOZ06 said:
The line was chaffed halfway down the the firewall, it is the lie that the braided line attaches to. I believe it is black plastic.
Thanks. I thought that line came out higher. I remembered that it was hard. I'm really surprised to see the clutch line chaff through that.

Really good tip Brian. Hope this doesn't befall others.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Dude, your car seems to be breaking down a lot lately. Sorry...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Yeah it blows...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
well glad to hear that you got home fine so did you all sit in the front or one of you got in the vette :)

and you were right about rear shocks they are much easier to install the only real problwm was opening the big NUT.

So did you fix the car yet ?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We both squeezed into the truck, it wasn't too bad. The car is at the dealership waiting for the fuel line to come from GM. Should be in Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well this problem did befall others! Three years ago I had a 2001 car that was setup for T1 burn to the ground at the end of my drive way. Had no clue to what had caused it nor did the insurance co and fire Marshall along with a dozen other people. Well last fall we were at the Glen on the false grid and I smelled fuel. After opening the hood and finding fuel spraying up from the left rear of the engine I call Curt from Phoenix over to see if he could tell where the fuel was coming from. It was the fuel line coming up to the engine and it had been cut by the braided line to the clutch. We pulled the car off the grid and put her in the trailer and took her home . We tried to repair the fuel line but decided to replace it instead. (90+ dollars). In any case that solved the mystery of the 2001 car.

Tony #54

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Dang... well new line will be in for me tomorrow or the next day. The mechanic is going to wrap the braided line in vaccum hose to protect the fluel line while keeping the clutch line away from the headers. Hope it all works now.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Passed this to my brother-in-law who has my car right now and found out he is as good as I think he is. He covered my clutch line with rubber shielding so it couldn't chafe anything before he put it in...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts