Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been getting some info from Dave (EFI-1) regarding iForged wheels and how they would work with my two-piece (14") rear E-speed rotor, but I thought I'd get some input from you all as well.

Someone here recently had this issue, and I'm looking for a follow-up as to what he and others have done regarding the fact that most rear iForged wheels -- with a 3" lip -- would contact the factory rotor in the back when used with the 2-pc rotors. It appears that the problem area of the rotor is that "nub" that sticks outward on the caliper.

I know I saw discussion about grinding that nub down to allow for clearance -- but I'm not sure just how many people have done this, or have considered doing it (but decided not to). I'd like some more input on this.

The nub on the caliper doesn't appear to be consmetic at all, and so I'd assume there's another reason it's there. If it's a structural feature, then is it a good idea to grind this down? (Just how much needs to be ground away anyway?)

Please give me your thoughts on this matter, folks! Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
638 Posts
I read the thread where the owner did shave his caliper.

Iforged wheels are custom made to your specs so they should be able to do the right offset for you, eliminating the need to shave your caliper. I would assume that depending on the offset, you may(or may not) loose a slight wheel lip.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IT L GO said:
Yep, I followed that thread. Is there an "update" on that thread, though?

I'm also wondering just how much of that caliper had to be ground...

Lex -- Yes, I could go with a shallower dish in the rear, that's true. I'm hoping not to, though. I'm still trying to explore some different options (if options exist, that is).

What about putting a different caliper on the rear? Is THAT an option? Is there a caliper that might work on the rear? Would a FRONT caliper work on the rear? (That's probably a VERY un-informed question -- but I don't have my car at work today to see if that even makes sense... Nor do I know mch of anything regarding the mounting of the rear -- or front -- caliper on these cars...)

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
KMeloney said:
Yep, I followed that thread. Is there an "update" on that thread, though?

I'm also wondering just how much of that caliper had to be ground...

Lex -- Yes, I could go with a shallower dish in the rear, that's true. I'm hoping not to, though. I'm still trying to explore some different options (if options exist, that is).

What about putting a different caliper on the rear? Is THAT an option? Is there a caliper that might work on the rear? Would a FRONT caliper work on the rear? (That's probably a VERY un-informed question -- but I don't have my car at work today to see if that even makes sense... Nor do I know mch of anything regarding the mounting of the rear -- or front -- caliper on these cars...)

Thanks!

-Kirk
I believe that IForged call build you a rim with a 3" lip and still have the big rotor if they know in advance. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I provided Kirk with the following info directly from iForged for cars equipped with the larger Eradispeed rotors in the rear:

You will lose 1" inch of rear lip. Many guys dont want that so they shave down their rear calipers. Its there choice. They can have the 3" lip in the rear and shave the caliper, or I can put a 2" lip in the rear and it will clear.
Aloha, Dave

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I just did the Eradispeed install 2 wks ago, and ended up needing to grind the nub of caliper that extends out from the center. VERY easy to do and repaint with high-temp enamel. Took about 5 minutes each on the old bench grinder. I did 3 coats of paint, but that stuff dries real fast. Here's a series of pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts