Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm so psyched (better?)!!! I'm finally getting better...

Well, I went out to the track again tonight to practice and I have to say, I am pleased with my results!!!

I had been having tons of problems with traction and not launching properly. Tonight I was only launching about 2200-2300 RPMs, 25 psi for stock tires, no burn outs or heating up the tires, running @ about 220 deg. H20, and concentrating on technique.

I raced a new Evo about seven times and won every time. He told me he had about 3k invested in mods which were 3" full exhaust, after market air intake, aftermarket blow off valve, fuel management system (where he can adjust throttle controls) and he was running @ 20.5 psi of boost.

I was launching WAY better now because even w/ his all wheel drive he never launched better than getting half of his car in front of mine at the light. from there I would take him from 2nd on. I would usually get him by @ least 1.5 to 2 cars.

On one run, I reverted back to my old ways of spinning the tires too much and he got about a car's distance away from my "bumper" so to speak, so I barely beat him by half of my car when we crossed the finish line.

I can tell now if I'm doing it right because when I launch right the wheels make a high pitched squeeling noise for a couple of seconds and then its goooone.... If I lay into the accelerator too much, the tires don't make that noise, they just spin like crazy.

I beat a few other cars including a newly modded, twin turbo'd 300Z , but I think that the Evo guy was my best competition considering my experience level. He was a very cool dude BTW. All of our runs gave him a chance to tinker w/ his fuel management system and gave me some good seat time against a hell of a launcher.

I still got no times because of the track I was at. They were racing w/ a tree, but no E/T's. Glorified street racing I guess you could call it.

One more question.......
How much does altitude play a part in 1/4 times? I am in El Paso, Tx and they say that it is higher here, but is it enough to truly make that big of a difference?

I'm happy so I just wanted to share!!!!
bye,
danny

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
The airport lists the altitude at 3985 ft!!
You will definitely run slower than the guys in DFW or Houston!!
An uneducated guess would be .5 to a full second!
If you do go down to a lower altitude you will gain so much HP, you'll swear you are driving someone else's car!!

Ken

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RocketSled said:
"Siked" would be pronounced "Sick Ed". I think you'd be even better still if you were "psyched" instead of "siked". :)
lol...... well which ever way you spell it, thats what I am!!!!!

Well the altitude difference makes me feel better, because my best time so far here in El Paso was only my second time @ a track and it was a 13.5xx so in a better atmosphere like DFW maybe a 12.9xx to a 13.0xx..... I can live with that for now. I do think my times would have been better last night tough, just because I was launching so much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts