Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a set of Firestone's new Firehawk Wide Ovals put on the car in stock sizes late last week. Have about 350 miles on them, here are my initial thoughts:

1. Tire runs very smooth.

2. Tire is the quietest tire I have had on the car yet, road noise is significantly less than either the Goodyear F1-SC or the Toyo Proxes T1-S.

3. Dry weather traction seems very good, at least as good as the Toyos, maybe better. I will be able to give a much better report on this following the Nashville DE and the Fest auto-x next week.

4. Wet weather traction is very good, at least as good as the Toyos, which I loved in the rain. Ran the car all weekend up and down I-75 during the rain from Hurricane Dennis. In obvious hydroplaning conditions the tires stayed very well planted to the road at speeds of up to 80 mph during torrential rain.

5. Tire has a bead around the rim to protect from curb rash, like the Toyos had.

6. Grip on launch is very good, do not have extensive testing on this, but the few times I have launched hard in Comp Mode, I was unable to spin the tires, they hooked right up and off I went. Again, I will be able to give much more feedback follwoig the drags at the Fest.

Overall impression of this tire to this point is very positive. The car feels well planted and connected to the road, steering response is very good, ride is smooth and quiet, cornering and handling is excellent. I am sure other softer compound tires like the Nittos would provide better traction, launching, and handling, but they will not last nearly as long as these Wide Ovals.

When you consider that I got all four, shipped to my door from Tire Rack (over on the left) for $708, this is a tire that is hard to beat.

I will update this thread following the Fest once I have had the opportunity to run these tires through a DE, the Auto-x, and the Drags...

Mark

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Thanks for the feed back on the ovals. Sounds like a good tire no matter what the cost. Did you have a problem having them mounted sense you didn't buy them from the tire store?

D.J.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, took them to Sears and they put them on without an issue, $100.

Watched the guys do it, and they were very careful and considerate of the car, they did a nice job...

Mark

·
21,382 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Mark! They sound like a great tire for the money. The only thing that worried me (just a little) was they are not Z rated.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How does the car track when going down the road :-? Do they pull at all- side to side motion :-?

I'd like to check them out at the fest :cheers:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Madvetter said:
How does the car track when going down the road :-? Do they pull at all- side to side motion :-?

I'd like to check them out at the fest :cheers:
Mine do. At first they really wandered around alot compared to the F1's. Took alot of getting used to. Plus they have nowhere near the initial bite of the F1's.

Now that I have some miles on them they feel better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just put those on my 68 vette in the proper size for that car. I had repro bias ply nylon red-lines on before and it was essentially a PIA to drive (It could do a great burn out, though!) It is like adifferent car with those on. I never realized they came in ZO6 sizes. Thanks for the update.

Rich

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a quote on the Firehawks Wide Ovals at a Firestone store, at first he told me it would cost about $1000 for a full set on the Z, when I balked he asked me if I had been pricing them around. I said I could get them delivered to my door for about $700 from tire rack. He then did some tire guy cyphering and told me he had them in stock and would get me in and out including tax for about $760. I think I'm going to do it, the guy at Corvettes of Houston told me that he had a lot of good feedback on them and was starting to stock them as well...but was a bit higher on price. :guiness:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the wide ovals, i have driven about 2000 miles on them already, and I am pretty satisfied. I can't really compare them to the stock goodyears, when i bought my 02 Z, the GY's were totally bald, so i put on 4 wide ovals I have driven in heavy rain in confidence. All in in all they seem to have very good grip, i can launch the car pretty hard in 1st and shift to 2nd with out having to worry about loosing the rear end, and the car just lunges forward. On the hwy, they are also very quiet and smooth.

I don't do any track events, so i wouldn't know how they fair on the track, but another person on this forum told me that they aren't as good on the track compared to the more expensive tires... but for just a street guy like me, I am happy with them.

I paid $850, that is tax included, installed and balanced at a chevy dealer in champlain NY.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
The wide ovals are OK for normal street driving and work great in the rain, but I wouldn't use them on the track or for any high speed cornering. They aren't a racing tire and the sidewalls are softer than the F1's, PS2's, Nitto 555r2's, Toyo's and other comparable tires. I have them on my daily driver but wouldn't use them on the Z. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not had any wandering problems with them at all, they have been great.

Jub, not real worried about the Z rating, these are rated to 168 mph (W rated?), which is faster than I will ever drive my Z, so the extra speed rating is wasted on me.

I will put these to the test at the Fest, I am running the DE on Wednesday, the Auto-x on Saturday morning, and the drags on Saturday afternoom. We should know quite a bit by the time I get back here next Sunday.

Mark

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Have almost 4000 miles on my wide ovals and ran them at Road Atlanta NASA hpde,they handle fine. The 60' time at the drags might be the tough one though,as this tire just isn't as sticky as others.

·
Registered
344 Posts
After growing EXTREMELY tired of waiting for Toyo to get their act together and make / ship some T1Rs to the U.S. I am buying Wide Ovals this week based upon Mark's experience and the 9 reviews at Tire Rack (3 of the 9 by Corvette owners, all positive).

If I ever track or autocross again, then I'll get real meats. In the meantime, as long as these are quiet(er) than the F1s maybe I'll get my dear bride in the car. To actually go somewhere with me...

Thanks to everyone for their input - it helped...

·
Registered
579 Posts
rpallas, have you owned these tires? If not, what is your experience with them?

I am considering these tires over the F1 because of the price, but I am reluctant because some have said they are a more comfortable tire. This usually translates to a softer sidewall which is something I really hate.. I want it as stiff as possible. I drive very agressively, more than most I am assured, and a squishy tire that allows the car to roll and "setup" in corners is a huge negative for me.

Can anyone who drives as aggressively as me comment on sidewall flex on these tires? or the Toyos, or other tires? I'm basically looking for a tire that is as tight or even tighter than the F1's. I dont care about comfort, I dont care about noise, I dont care about wet performance. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Subw00er said:
rpallas, have you owned these tires? If not, what is your experience with them?

I am considering these tires over the F1 because of the price, but I am reluctant because some have said they are a more comfortable tire. This usually translates to a softer sidewall which is something I really hate.. I want it as stiff as possible. I drive very agressively, more than most I am assured, and a squishy tire that allows the car to roll and "setup" in corners is a huge negative for me.

Can anyone who drives as aggressively as me comment on sidewall flex on these tires? or the Toyos, or other tires? I'm basically looking for a tire that is as tight or even tighter than the F1's. I dont care about comfort, I dont care about noise, I dont care about wet performance. Thanks!
Sub,

Sent you a PM.

Bob

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fest update:

Drove the car over 2000 miles last week, to and from the Fest, the MM road tour, the DE, and all over BG.

The tires are great. Very smooth, very quiet. Ran into a huge rainstorm on the way home in FLA, they performed as well as the Toyos in the wet.

At the DE event they performed very well. Not as sticky as the Goodyear F1s, but very respectable. They gave good feedback as you got near the limit, they were very predictable. I had no trouble with them at speeds as high as 130-135.

I am very impressed with these tires, especially for the price.

Mark

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
;Mark you should be getting a commission from Firestone. I am not quite ready for tires but I am ordering a set this week to have them handy when I need them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recently had the experience of driving the Wide Oval and two other brands of tires on a Z06 around a road course.

The Wide Oval wasn’t as crisp a turn in and you were left wondering when it would take and keep a set.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts