Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 3.90 gears for my 01' Z06 and was wondering what else is needed in the process of swaping the gears?? Also is it true it will take a full second off your q/m time??
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Unless you have done rear ends before I would highly recommend paying to have them installed. It's a royal b*#ch to get the gear alignment right and unless you are experienced or like taking it apart a couple of times to get it right this is a job better left to the experts (at least the carrier assembly).

A good mechanic can do most of his own work, a wise one knows when to job out certain tasks... :thumb:

While I have not done gears to mine, I have driven a couple z's with both 3.90s and 4;10s and they feel completely different. Much faster off the line and if that is what you after looking for you will not be disappointed. Good Luck

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
GR8 WHITE said:
What gears would dyno suggest with head/cam package? 3:90s or 4:10s?
For the MN12 tranny (Z06) 3.90's are best.
For the MN6 tranny (C5) 4.10's are best.

4.10's are to short for the Z06 unless your are interested in 1/4 performance only. They will kill your top speed to around 146MPH. :z:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
fastz06vette said:
Just bought 3.90 gears for my 01' Z06 and was wondering what else is needed in the process of swaping the gears?? Also is it true it will take a full second off your q/m time??
:cool: :cool:
Unless you have the right GM tools and have the shims for the proper set backs do not attempt. I have seen shops that have been doing rears for years screw up the C5 differentials.
It takes a lot of experience to do them right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have my personal mechanic from a GM dealership up here installing them, he did the rear end in my truck (454ss), and did a great job. What I was wondering is if I need everything from an install kit?? He was saying some parts you can reuse. What will I need to replace to complete this??

Thanks
Ron :-? :-?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I dont think a C5/C6 rear is anything like whats in your truck. I'd take the advice from above. The install kits would be different too & I havent seen one or a C5 rear, just the gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There has to be a kit out there, because half the people have changed them , and they make them for the c5's , dont know what you are talking about?? :crazy: I know the truck gears are diff. and I had a professional put them in, thats whos doing these, never planned on touching them. Just need to know what else to buy to make the gear swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts