Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could anyone provide me with a ballpark figure for the install price of headers and exhaust and exhaust alone. It is GHL long tube headers and GHL bullets exhaust.

Thanks in advance. I just don't have a frame of reference and don't want to be taken. Also, how big a deal to install the GHL mufflers myself? No access to a lift, but wouldn't mind picking up a set of ramps. What tools are necessary? Would alignment on a set of GHL mufflers be a pain?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ben

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I would suspect the cost will be between 400 to 500.00 dollars, some of which depends on if the installer buys the system or you bring it in. Adding on the cat back (muffers) is like 15 minutes more - max.

To do it yourself the cat back yourself , you need to get the rear end 36 inches in the air. It can be done without a lift, but it is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've shopped around before I was quoted somewhere between $300-450. for the headers. The exahaust is easy for any shop with a lift but most will still quote 1 hr of labor approx. $75. I am assuming if you do them with your headers, the shop probably won't charge you much more if anything, once on the lift it's a 10-15 minute job w/ most of it aligning the tips.

Backlash- I've seen that pic about a dozen times to date and it still freaks me out... you are much braver than me! :guiness:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any clue why??

Any clue why cartek down in Jersey would have quoted $800? I am pretty sure he mentioned a "mini-tune", but it still seems high.. no? maybe its one of those jobs that is too minor for them so there isn't the same type of incentive to be overly competitive with the pricing..

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for the responses.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Wits-Z said:
Any clue why cartek down in Jersey would have quoted $800? I am pretty sure he mentioned a "mini-tune", but it still seems high.. no? maybe its one of those jobs that is too minor for them so there isn't the same type of incentive to be overly competitive with the pricing..

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for the responses.

Not sure what a "mini-tune" is referencing but if it's a dyno tune with LS-1Edit expect to tack on another $400-450. for the tune. If $800. inlcudes the LS1-Edit then it's pretty much in-line with what I've seen.

I think CarTek is reputable and used by some members here, maybe someone who has firsthand experience with them will chime in. You can always call them to have them clarify what exactly that $800. is getting you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to clarify..

Are there different degrees of a tune? In the conversation we also discussed installing an upgraded cam, but the $800 was for the header / exhaust install. Would a more involved tuning session be necessary to deal with a cam as opposed to just the headers? I'm guessing so, but if the thought is just to deal with the potentially rich condition after the header install, I don't know if $400 - $500 extra is warranted.

You are correct that I need to get a more detailed description of what is involved. Just trying to educate myself a little so I can shop "smarter".

Thanks again. :z:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Install on those exhaust parts will range depending on who buys the system. The shops usually will cut a total supply/install deal as they will get the parts cheaper than you usually. If the headers don't require a lot of freggin arround with (ie:undoing motors mounts or other engine parts) $4-500 is OK. A cam install is a different ball game altogether---much more involved mechanically and tunning time. We usually do a minor LS1 edit with headers as they will normally cause a lean engine condition---we add fuel and will then get your maximun safe HP for the coin spent on the headers. The headers/cats/exhaust combo will add 23-30RWHP with proper tune. More power, quickers engine response etc. Best bang for the buck IMO.
Regards
RJ :jammin: :mug:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Around $400 for the header & cat back install is a pretty good ball park price. The effort to tune without the cam would be less than to tune with a cam. Most places will charge in the neighborhood of $300 for a non-dyno tune. By that I mean a good, knowledgeable tuner should be able to get good tune results on a bolt-on car with out having to spend time on the dyno tweaking the settings.

However, when going with a cam or other more involved modification, it is quite often necessary to spend a couple of hours on a dyno tweaking the settings to get the best results, therefore a little higher cost for a "real" dyno tune. Now that is not to say that an experienced tuner could not "dial" in a great tune on your cam install without spending a great deal of time on the dyno. Experience with a variety of modifications goes along ways in getting the most out of a tune. Anyone can buy software and claim to be a tuner but there is a big difference between the good ones and the average ones. Good luck!

Don

Wits-Z said:
Are there different degrees of a tune? In the conversation we also discussed installing an upgraded cam, but the $800 was for the header / exhaust install. Would a more involved tuning session be necessary to deal with a cam as opposed to just the headers? I'm guessing so, but if the thought is just to deal with the potentially rich condition after the header install, I don't know if $400 - $500 extra is warranted.

You are correct that I need to get a more detailed description of what is involved. Just trying to educate myself a little so I can shop "smarter".

Thanks again. :z:

·
Registered
1 Posts
header install

When we install headers and a cat-back its $425. We tune them when done on the dyno also. If you find somebody around you for a good price go for it. I have done these on the ground years ago and its not that much fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts