Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading my Service Manuals it directs me to install "new" clips wheni removing and replacing fuel injectors.
Couple of questions, are the new clips necessary? If so does anyone have the part number? do most dealers have themin stock or will I have to wait for delivery?

Thanks! I certainly appreciate any and all inputs here.

Jim

·
21,351 Posts
It's GM just being overly cautious. I've R&R injectors several times and the clips still work as advertised, plenty of spring tension etc. I don't see any need to, IMO.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
jub jub said:
It's GM just being overly cautious. I've R&R injectors several times and the clips still work as advertised, plenty of spring tension etc. I don't see any need to, IMO.
I'll second that :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Don't waste your money, I have had my injectors in and out a few times and the clips are fine,,just be careful not to ding up the o-rings. HTH

Jim

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You can NOT get the clips from GM (harness plug clips) I lost one and had to buy an individual injector harness that had the plug and clip.
26.00. If you don't lose them you can use over. The other square clips that are top of the injectors I did not use again. I was told that they were used for assemble purposes at the factory to keep the injectors in the rail aligned for robotic assemble. DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. Sounds like I can reuse the ones on there.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I swapped fuel injector about a total of 7 or 8 times now and reused the clips. As previously stated, watch the o-rings though. The slightest nick or tear and you'll have a serious fuel leak. I used motor oil to lube them up.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again fellas. I'll lube up the o-rings and reuse the clips.
From the service manula it seems like a pretty simple procedure. Remove the entire fuel rail assy and replace the injectors one by one with due care not to tear the o-rings.

Another question, if I let my car sit for a day or two do I need to sweat the fuel drain with the pressure gauge as noted in the service manual? or can I just have a rag there to soak up the residual fuel?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You need to prepare to EVACUATE!!!!! LOL....well...its not really funny. My house is already boarded up.

I just soak up the residual fuel with a rag. The rest will evaporate.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah spdrcrj, I cut my boars to fit and bought the metal clips, I just cut down a couple trees that were leaning from Ivan (which I missed since I was in Iraq so mother nature has seen fit to introduce me to dennis!).

Thanks for the heads up about the fuel!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
NavyPhrog said:
Yeah spdrcrj, I cut my boars to fit and bought the metal clips, I just cut down a couple trees that were leaning from Ivan (which I missed since I was in Iraq so mother nature has seen fit to introduce me to dennis!).

Thanks for the heads up about the fuel!
Im supposed to leave next friday for a stint at the JSOAC. I may be a bit late getting there. If we are ordered to evacuate, Im thinking about going to northern tennessee and going to visit bowling green. Thats what i did for Ivan.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats funny sh*t...the visiting Bowling Green I mean. When I was in Norfolk a couple years ago and we were to evacuate, I loaded up the Z and headed to middle TN to check out some vacation property and then headed right to BG and toure the NCM. It was a good time. I lucked out and they were having some FBody gathering there.
We are not evacuating. I missed Ivan while I was deployed so I am hanging for this one, I have a couple cases of beer, some JD, Capt Morgans, water and the other required necessities! Now all I have to do is live through it and all will be well HAHAHA

Let me know if you have decided to head out.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'll be riding it out unless ordered by the base commander to evacuate. People received article 15's for disobeying the evac order for Ivan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts