Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:yeadog: Im going to go home and install my Hurst Shifter :D

any quick hints about installing? I never installed a shifter on a vette, thanx,

luis

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
:yeadog: Im going to go home and install my Hurst Shifter :D

any quick hints about installing? I never installed a shifter on a vette, thanx,

luis
Make sure you don't drop any of the screws down into the tunnel ! They are a pain to get out !

Rob

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Luis...we could have done it at the mod party!! Only takes about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MSiska said:
Luis...we could have done it at the mod party!! Only takes about 40 minutes.

I was enjoying talking to everyone to much to get my mind on that, and everyone was leaving (or like yourself riding up and down) so I wanted to listen to the sweet music of everyones exhaust :jammin:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
glad you are getting it installed way kewl!

you will LOVE it.

once you get it in, shift it and make sure it's the tension you want before putting the vette back together. there ARE softer springs you can put on it

getting the stock knob off can be a aHEEEMMM well you know, that demon pin has the right name

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
luis

The first time you take her out after the install, you'll wonder why you waited. You are going to love the short crisp shifts instead of like rowing a boat with the stock shifter. Follow the instructions and make sure you put some loc-tite on the bolts and you will be good to go.

Enjoy:cheers:

Jack

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congrats again on winning the shifter. I was glad someone who still had a stock shifter won it.

If you have the stock knob you may find that a solid metal knob will help with lowering the possible noise. The light plastic knobs seem to amplify the vibration. That is my experience anyway. It's an easy install.

Let us know how you like it after a few days.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The console retainers are covered by snap-on covers. Slowly work the front and dash covers off. Nothing needs strength.

You will need a 10mm socket (for the shifter and console) and a torx screwdriver (2 ashtray screws and one dash) -- forget what size.

The shifter requires the most effort. Wrap a small screw driver with electrical tape to avoid maring the leather knob and slowly pry up the plastic shift legend.

The demon key, the aluminum wedge that is under the plastic legend is a b*tch. Put a rag on the leather and with a large screwdriver, slowly work up the key. One side at a time. Do not get aggressive as it will break and you will be in a world of hurt. Do not use vise grips. They only damage the key and break it apart. Wear glasses as the key does like to fly (it did nick my forehead once).

Don't tap down the DEMON key upon replacement -- it will never come out of the Hurst and you will have a major metal shop project. Meaning cutting up the knob and tapping out the remains of the key. It does splinter and cause a major headache. Remove all women and children from the area.

The stock shaft is threaded. I would throw the key away now now when it is easy and use teflon tape -- about 3-4 wraps will keep the knob in place once you screw it down.

I bought the Hurst boot (like $19 or so from Summit) for under the leather boot. There is no road noise but mucho mechanical noise in the lower gears or when accelerating. That is Hurst.

Only use the smaller outer springs -- no need to double up.

Use the thread lock.

Take out the front and rear shift stops. They serve no purpose and if they come loose or become misadjusted, you'll have "shift" lock or more noise issues.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Get that thing installed yet Luis ??

I'm anxious to hear what you thnk of it after you check it out a bit.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I second on being careful not to drop crap in the tunnel. I did and finally gave up. I took her for a spoin and floored it, to my surprise it came flying out the back of the tunnel. I simply pulled over and picked it up!

You can just remove the shift stops for C5 Corvettes. Our transmissions have internal ones, and the hurst ones are pronce to comming loose, turning forward and making it impossible to get in gear. If you decide to leave them in make sure you loc-tite them.

At first mine was a bit too stiff, but it'll loosen up. Also you can adjust the big allen head bolts (one on each side of the base) 1 full turn tighter or looser. I adjusted mine one full turn looser w/ the stock spring in, I love it. You can also put in the lighter springs.

Cya,
Brian.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Here's a pic of my setup, the ken king vettessentials short boot is a great add-on with the short shifter.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Or the old school look

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx Guys, I got installed early afternoon and I was so anxious to drive it I didnt adjust anything, then when I got back home I turned those bolts and it got a bit looser side to side but still really stiff in and out to gears, will the softer springs make that less stiff?

I do like the shorter throws, and crispier shifts, but right now its a bit too stiff, but Im sure that can get better and then it will be perfect :yeadog:

oh, by the way, I didnt get much more noise then before and the 2nd to 3rd are so much easier :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Luis,
Install the softest set of springs that come with the shifter. That will make it easier to shift, and the unit does
get smoother as it "breaks in". Mine has been in the car now for around 8k miles and it shifts beautifully! Great Mod!

Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts