Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around, and still haven't seen any solid comparisons between intakes of any type (CAI/Ram Air, or non-CAI) based on true HP gains... also, the intake has to be the ONLY mod in all comparisons at the time of testing, to even out all the samples...otherwise the results will be pointless.

I'm guessing a true Ram-Air systems that actually forces air through a tube directly to the intake will yield the most HP gains (at speeds), as opposed to just having the intake close to the opening in the front fascia... but you never know - maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference. I'm curious to see some HP gain comparisons.

Now, I know it's difficult to accurately test a true Ram-air system (like VaraRam) on a dyno, but if someone has access to the resources, I think it would be a great idea to put one of those VERY high powered fans/"air movers" right in front of the Z to simulate air coming in at speeds, then dyno test diff Z's with different Ram-air systems to see just how many ponies are gained when air is shoved directly in.

Anyone live in the upstate NY area (orange county)? I'm wondering if there's a dyno nearby... :-?

Anyway, feel free to reply and post HP gains achieved with any intake. And no BS... real HP gain, not "alleged". ;)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
:cheers: I have to say that dynoed horsepower, there might be comparisons, Im not experienced in this technical aspect but I've an opinion for years about the dynos, and they sure tell how much power you have, but as much as CAI gives to cars it couldnt be too acurate because the diffrence between stock and any CAI/ram air on the dyno is as much as one day you car could dyno 350 for example and the next dyno 355 with the same car! thats why Im testing my vararam in the real dyno, the 1/4 track, they claim something like 20-30 rwhp, but not on a dyno, on the road which gives alot of air going in, and those little fans in a dyno room could never duplicate a 3100+ lb car going 70mph,

anyway if they claim 20-30 hp, then if I can get my car to trap 2mph more, that will be the proff, my car bone stock does 116-117mph, if I can get a clean 119mph by the end of the 1/4 mile, its got me proven,to trap 2mph is a big deal and will never happen just because the car was running right that day, only REAL POWER will do that :jammin: , So I'll keep ya posted whenever I get the change to install the vararam but alot have already tried so they'll be more helpful for now. as far as the other CAIs I dont know, sorry if I blabled on and on :cheers:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I had mine dyno'd bone stock, and it did 353 rwhp. I then put on a Vortex rammer intake, and had it dyno'd again with the intake as a baseline before I had my headers installed, and it did 360 rwhp. This is before tuning or anything, and the intake was causing it to run a bit rich before the tune.

This is a ram air system, so I wasn't gaining anything from the ram air effect sitting on the dyno, so I'm sure 'real world' gains are much better, especially in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've read the Ram Air really doesn't do too much on a car that isn't ingesting large amounts of air, say like a pro stock car with it's scoop. Generally the air will flow faster than the engine can use it and what happens is the air "stacks" up in front of the intake opening. Once this happens the opening then becomes a solid, like your front fascia of the car, and the air just flows over/around it as it were a solid piece. I know it made no more difference on my Z28 than a cold air setup and from what I've read, you'd need to be above 100mph to get any effect from it. The best way is on the track and look at your mph or put a boost pressure guage in your intake and see if it get's pressurized.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Ram air effect doesen't really come into play until 100 MPH and above. The cold (cooler) air is there at all speeds. :cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But..

Yeah, but isn't it the argument that unless the air is coming from completely outside the engine compartment, it isn't "cold"... or, at least colder than the air inside the engine compartment? There's a 346 cu. monster creating heat in that engine compartment - I'm sure it doesn't make a world of difference, but suffice to say, the air outside must be colder than the air under the hood, right?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Yeah, but isn't it the argument that unless the air is coming from completely outside the engine compartment, it isn't "cold"... or, at least colder than the air inside the engine compartment? There's a 346 cu. monster creating heat in that engine compartment - I'm sure it doesn't make a world of difference, but suffice to say, the air outside must be colder than the air under the hood, right?

you're thinking too much, you going to get a headache :pp:

·
Registered
413 Posts
i know of several ZO6s that went from stock or from after market filter to either a Vararam or Vortex and picked up 4-7rwhp and 2-5mph in 1/4....including myself.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
C5 CU said:
i know of several ZO6s that went from stock or from after market filter to either a Vararam or Vortex and picked up 4-7rwhp and 2-5mph in 1/4....including myself.

:pp: I cant wait :crazy:

·
Registered
396 Posts
IT L GO said:
Ram air effect doesen't really come into play until 100 MPH and above. The cold (cooler) air is there at all speeds. :cheers:

Exactly. The ram air does come into play BIG TIME at speeds over 100. I have an automatic coupe, and that runs around a 14 second quarter mile stock, driven by a pro, which I am not. I've only added z06 mufflers and the vortex, and on the highway my car pulls like crazy, and I have no problem dusting Mustang Cobras or turboed ricers. My car goes from 100 to 160 almost as fast as from 0 to 60.

And another thing, if we can put a man on the moon, why can't someone create a dyno that works in conjunction with high powered fans like those used in wind tunnels. Maybe a computer connection could control the wind speed created by the fan to coincide with the car's speedometer. Would this be plausible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts