Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering. I know we as Z owners are blessed by having a better intake than the rest of our LS1 bretheren. However it has been explained to me that even this becomes a restriction on bigger inch motors.

The other day I happened to get a look at a very nifty looking Hogan sheetmetal manifold for the LS1/LS6. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this manifold, or even better if anyone had seen it on the dyno yet.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've seen several preliminary charts showing a 8-10 hp gain, but for about 3 grand....to hell with that!

LS1's and LS6's (same model years) get the same intakes, btw. :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I've also heard that....

....Holly either has one or is developing an aluminum based one that could then be ported, polished and port matched to go with any head mods that someone might do.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my understanding that the LS6 manifold is different than the LS1. Is this a misunderstanding on my part. My friend bolted on what was reputed to be a LS6 manifold and made some big gains on his heads/cam Firebird over his stock LS1 manifold.

Everything I had read was that the block, heads, and intake are different parts

It is my understand for instance the 2002 LS6 intake is differnet than the 2002 Camaro. If this is wrong, please advise.

As for the Hogan. I was not so concerend with the gains on a stocker, but more interested in possible gains on a bigger inch motor where the stock intake becomes a real hindrance to good breathing. The S.A.M. camaro is the one example in my mind where this was quantified. They cut up and ported the heck out of a stock manifold and were never able to get any real gains. Once they switched to some "experimental, out the back door part" they picked up something like 20 or more HP.

In looking at the Hogan it looked like it would work well with big inch motors or motors with bigger cams. The runners were much shorter, and it had a big plenum on it. Very much like the differnece between a stock L98 intake and a TPiS mini-ram.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Model year for model year - the intakes are the same inside (external EGR Fbody's have the provision in those years).

2001+ Fbody's have the LS6 intake....if your friend swapped them out, he had a pre-2001 car. :)

:guiness:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Hopefully Jim will jump in here, he has some information on the restrictiveness of the LS6 manifold. As I recall its the actual opening where the TB mounts.....Don't quote me though....

Apparently its good to 650+ HP.......again, don't quote me, I have a crappy memory :)

JC

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Intakes

HI there,
I can confirm that the intakes for LS1 and LS6 are exactly the same, including part number, for the 01.
In 02, the intakes for c5 were redesigned for a whistle type noise, where they changed the throttle body mating area, around what would be the IAC passage on a fcar.
The reason for the better intake in o1 is a lower floor, and a longer runner length. It gives better off idle torque, due to increased air flow effect.
Besttoall, c4c5:z:hammersdoinparts.

G

·
I would think that a metal intake would retain more heat then the stock one and raise intake air temps to drive AFR leaner unless
it was tuned out.

The other day I happened to get a look at a very nifty looking Hogan sheetmetal manifold for the LS1/LS6. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this manifold, or even better if anyone had seen it on the dyno yet. [/B]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts