Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

While researching new tires for my 04 Z06 (When it comes time to get new tires) , I found an interesting fact between the Michelin Pilot Sport times and the Goodyear Eagle Supercar tires.

Comparing only stock Z06 tire sizes below... (tirerack.com)

1.) Goodyear = 8/32nd tread depth, Michelin = 10/32 tread depth
Might get better tire life from Michelin... :yeadog:

2.) Both are rated at 220 AA A tread wear. Both should wear at the same rate.

3.) Rear Goodyear = 33lbs / Front Goodyear = 29lbs
Rear Michelin = 30lbs / Front Michelin = 26lbs
That equates to 12lbs total reduction of rotating mass on the wheels !! :D

4.) Rear Goodyear = $295 / Front Goodyear = $253
Rear Michelin = $354 / Front Michelin = $249

What I take from this is that the Michelin tires would last longer (assuming my driving habits stay the same )and would help to reduce rotating mass ! I might feel weight reduction. It would just cost me $102 more to buy the Michelin tires than the Goodyears.

Your thoughts ?

Is anyone running the Michelin Pilot Sports in the factory Z06 sizes ?
How do you find they compare ?

Toque

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Toque,

I have had them on the car for almost two years now. I like them alot. They grab almost as good as the Super cars in the dry and handle great in the wet. They are much better in the noise department. A little pricey. I also like the fact that they offer a 315 for the rear as well as 275's for the front. Lot's of tire threads you can read all day. I might try the Kumho's next just for the savings and to see how they compare.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I have the michelin pilot sports on my Z and after two sets of Goodyear F1's I have to say I think they are a better tire.
Of course used tires tend to get noisy and thats my last memory of the Good years...

I'd suggest the michelins as a dam good choice.

Can't go wrong with them thats for sure.

Handling/ride/noise all seem superior to previous two sets of Goodyears (but they were worn out so keep that in mind) Its hard to remember what the goodyears were like brand new...I'm sure that has some factor.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went with the 275F/315R Pilots after 2 sets of the Goodyear SC's. My initial impressions (for what thats worth) is that the Pilots are a better tire than the SC's. Ride quality increased, and noise decreased. Dry traction is on par with the SC's, but the wet traction blows the SC's away. I know they are a little pricier, but well worth every penny.

-Russ-

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll be putting PS2's on my 03 in the next week (they are being shipped from Michigan now). Stock rims. Running 275's in the front. I'll let you know what my experience with them is. :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Russman said:
I just went with the 275F/315R Pilots after 2 sets of the Goodyear SC's. My initial impressions (for what thats worth) is that the Pilots are a better tire than the SC's. Ride quality increased, and noise decreased. Dry traction is on par with the SC's, but the wet traction blows the SC's away. I know they are a little pricier, but well worth every penny.

-Russ-
How did you get the 315's on your stock wheels? 315 is too large for stock wheels according to the tire guy I talked to.

·
Registered
891 Posts
From Tire Rack Michelin PS2

315/30 YR18
98Y SL N2 (Porsche OE) 220 AA A
1653 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
29 lbs.
10.5-11.5" (rim widths)
11" (design rim)
12.6"
NA
25.5"

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I switched to Pilot Sports about a year ago.
Initially they seemed a little flexy - kinda like being on ice skates around corners but after a week or so they lost that effect.

The tires appear to be wearing very well and I will guess that they will have a somewhat longer life that the GY SC's. When I am considering the PS2's next time - they weren't available yet when I needed them.

Mark, given your intended modding plans I seriously doubt that your driving habits are likely to remain in stasis. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
From Tire Rack Michelin PS2

315/30 YR18
98Y SL N2 (Porsche OE) 220 AA A
1653 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
29 lbs.
10.5-11.5" (rim widths)
11" (design rim)
12.6"
NA
25.5"
Right. My guy told me that they need to be put on an 11" rim.

·
Registered
49 Posts
prospero63 said:
Right. My guy told me that they need to be put on an 11" rim.
OK, he was wrong. Got tired of dealing with tire rack and discount tire, called Michelin direct and they said it would work great. So, make that "I'm going to be putting some 315/30ZR18's on it and will get back with you on performance". :jammin:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
z62jag said:
Mark, given your intended modding plans I seriously doubt that your driving habits are likely to remain in stasis. ;)
Jim:

With LG around the corner from my house you might be right ! :) :ity: What can you do right ? haha

With him offering a great heads/cam package that will pass emissions and give me 450rwhp/430rwtq its hard to say no to that. Waiting to pay off the car first though. :)

Z49

·
Registered
369 Posts
I put the Michelin PSIIs on a week ago - 315/30 18s. They are, without a doubt, a superior tire for the Z. They're the widest tire I can put on my stock rims, they'll last just as long if not longer, they're plenty quiet, and they handle the water far better than the SCs. They are the best "all around" tire for the discerning Z aficionado. I had them on when I got my best time at Bandimere Speedway (13.436 second 1/4 mile). Lastly, I love looking at them from behind. The wider the tire, the smaller the butt looks. I highly recommend them. I'll be putting the PSII 275s up front when I replace the existing tires.

NOTE: The 335s won't fit without removing the rear brake duct. I know, I tried. If you remove the brake duct the calipers heat up when slowing quickly from high speeds. Consequently, they may fade on you when you need them most. My recommendation - Stick with the 315s and keep your rear brakes cool as you may need them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
I have 315's mounted on stock sized rims waiting to go on the car. I'm putting them on right after I race Sunday @ Pocono...
I was going to go w/ 275's up front, but they are slightly taller then the rears & I've read that's a no-no...so I went w/ 265 up front...They have a shorter sidewall then the rears so they look kind of funny..
Ron
Wouldn't the 275's be shorter? Wait, I just did the math and the 265's would be shorter, wouldn't they?

275*.40=110/25.4=4.33"
265*.40=106/25.4=4.17"

Crap, sounds like I need to call the tire shop again tomorrow... :bang:

or... does anyone have any recommendations of 265 vs. 275?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Straatien said:
My recommendation - Stick with the 315s and keep your rear brakes cool as you may need them.
I did a tire size comparison of stock sizes and the 315 and the side wall will be smaller. I'm worried the smaller tire will look strange in the wheel well....

you guys have pics ?

tire size calculator
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Z49

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have 315/30-18s on the back of my Z. Click sig for pictures.

2.) Both are rated at 220 AA A tread wear. Both should wear at the same rate.
Tire wear ratings are relative to the manufacturer's chosen standard, they're not rated against a "universal" standard. You cannot compare tread wear ratings across manufacturers, only within a given manufacturer's product line since each manufacturer's standard is different.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Street/Track Tire

I have been running Michelin Pilot Sports on stock wheels on both the street and track and everywhere inbetween. They work just great for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FOXBAT said:
I have been running Michelin Pilot Sports on stock wheels on both the street and track and everywhere inbetween. They work just great for me.
What sizes?

·
Registered
579 Posts
z62jag said:
I switched to Pilot Sports about a year ago.
Initially they seemed a little flexy - kinda like being on ice skates around corners but after a week or so they lost that effect.
This was probably the tire mold release compound wearing off. Takes a couple hundred miles usually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts