Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to clean these areas? The dash looks nice and I wouldn't want to put some shiny Armor All on it and screw it up (unless that is standard practice of course). How about the center console and all the stuff under the hood? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
NEVER use Armor All on ANYTHING plastic or plastic derivative!

The pores in the material get nice and plugged up by Armor All (as well as any silicon-based preservative).

Over time, you will end up cracking the material since it can't breathe and temperature fluctuations will simply "crack" it.

Believe it or not, the BEST solution is to spray a light application of WD-40 on a clean terry cloth and "wipe on, wipe off" WD-40 (or equiv) is hydrocarbon-based and is compatible with all synthetic materials plastic/vinyl, etc .

Leaves a nice glow, the smell goes away quickly once the propellant evaporates, and it really does protect! :thumb:

·
21,378 Posts
defender said:

The pores in the material get nice and plugged up by Armor All (as well as any silicon-based preservative).

Over time, you will end up cracking the material since it can't breathe and temperature fluctuations will simply "crack" it.

Believe it or not, the BEST solution is to spray a light application of WD-40 on a clean terry cloth and "wipe on, wipe off" WD-40 (or equiv) is hydrocarbon-based and is compatible with all synthetic materials plastic/vinyl, etc .

Leaves a nice glow, the smell goes away quickly once the propellant evaporates, and it really does protect! :thumb:

WD40 really is a "wonder chemical" Too bad you can't drink it! :lol:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
when I was in my "car show mode" I would use windex on the engine pieces or very diluted simple green, then a very light spray down. then I would use some pledge wipes to dry it down.

I have a leather interior so I use leather master cleaner, then moisturize with their leather care lotion.

I love Meguire's wipes for the dash, lasts a good month:thumb:

I also like "back to black" on any plastic pieces that are not as black as they used to be, like the piece at the bottom of the windshield

·
Registered
709 Posts
Pledge furniture polish for the interior. Works great...

Al

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Diluted Simple Green for under the hood. Griots interior cleaner and leather care for the inside. My dash is leather now, so I use the leather care, but before, I only used the interior cleaner product, no vinyl care type products.

·
Registered
219 Posts
another vote for the 303!

·
Registered
882 Posts
jub jub said:
WD40 really is a "wonder chemical" Too bad you can't drink it! :lol:
My neighbors were moving and I overheard her asking her husband why does every box in the garage contains a can of WD40? :lol:

Of course she was the same one who asked, does his (meaning me) motorcycle sound broken? He reportedly answered, it's a Harley, thats the way they all sound. :D

·
Registered
5,333 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
defender said:

Does Dubya Dee really protect the dash? Or are you guys just kidding?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
Does Dubya Dub really protect the dash? Or are you guys just kidding?
I wonder? Plus, what happens if the oder DOESN't dissipate quickly?

Really Al, get your hands on some 303 stuff. It's great.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I think the secret to a clean engine compartment is just to not let it get out of hand. I usually clean a different section with each car wash. I use a damp cloth and detail brush. It's tedious work, but doing it one section at a time is not too bad. I've had my car in several repair shops and most of them ask "do you drive this car?". It's pretty clean. Probably not the shiniest and wouldn't win any shows, but it's probably one of the cleanest. I don't like the glossy look, except on the paint and wheels.

What kind of finish does 303 leave? Can you use it on seats? Does it attract dust?

:z:

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the engine compartment I use P21S Total Auto Wash. The product is safe on electrical connections and cleans great with limited scrubbing. On the interior I use a combination of lexol products,autoglym, and zaino. Zaino on the leather surfaces, autoglym on the carpets and headliner, and lexol vinylex to clean all non leather areas.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
ROSSO Z said:
What kind of finish does 303 leave? Can you use it on seats? Does it attract dust?

:z:
Check out the web site! It repels dust.

Charlie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Meguiar's #40 is an excellent trim protectant. It leaves a very matte sheen and it is not greasy/oily feeling. Just apply with a foam pad and buff a few miuntes later with a clean microfiber towel. Good stuff. :thumb:

Under the hood I use diluted Simple Green, a slow stream of water and some patience. Make sure you cover exposed electrical connections and you'll be good to go. I will treat underhood plastic and vinyl with Meg's #40 as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts