Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this has been tried. Sometimes I get funny ideas. Imagine an all wheel drive application on our z06's without drivetrain loss at high speeds. Can someone invent a system that would work at low speeds for quick launches and disengage back to rear wheel drive at higher speeds? Traction seems to be a problem with the corvette especially with the weight at the front. I've had enough coffee for one night. Someone invent this for me. thanks
jason

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
jason31 said:
Perhaps this has been tried. Sometimes I get funny ideas. Imagine an all wheel drive application on our z06's without drivetrain loss at high speeds. Can someone invent a system that would work at low speeds for quick launches and disengage back to rear wheel drive at higher speeds? Traction seems to be a problem with the corvette especially with the weight at the front. I've had enough coffee for one night. Someone invent this for me. thanks
jason
Done. What color would you like it in?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Most full-time AWD systems include a center Differential that only engages when under load. When the front/rear speed differences are low, the Diff doesn't engage and the car is either FWD or RWD. Get 'em spinning the the Diff locks up and the car is 4WD. It's pretty common.

Now as for the Corvette... if you don't mind riding with 8" of ground clearance, you could probably get a 4WD system under the car. But it'd sure look stupid. Just peak underneath the front end. You'll see that the engine sits low, right through the front wheel axle centerline. There's no way to fit a differential up front except under the oil pan, and you'd need to jack it way up to get the clearance.

Kind of like the opposite of a "low rider". I dunno. Might be worth doing only to see if it starts a counter-culture trend. "High Rider". I like the sound of that. Kind of Abby Hoffman/Hunter Thompson-esqe don't you think?

·
Registered
46 Posts
jason31 said:
jason
Active 4WD was first done by Nissan on the Skyline GTR and their ATTESA system transfering as much as 90% of bias power to the rear wheels.

Whether it could be adapted to the Corvette chassis, ehh. Probably could be but you would need a complete redesign of the front end, engine mounting, oil pan and transmission placement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts