Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you that have went the cheaper route on a stroker engine....i.e iron block LQ4; do you notice any major difference in handling with the heavier front?? I think I read there was about a 75-100lb difference. Any cooling differences? Engine builder told me aluminum cools better..... :roll: I have no idea!!! I was wanting 400+ cubes but I really dont want to sleeve the LS6 (cause of sleeve problems people talk about) or mess around with knock sensors re-wiring of the LS2. So iron block has crossed my mind.

Your iron block thoughts....

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Resleeving the Aluminum block with dry liners should not be a problem. Use an engine builder with experience such as Supporting Vendors: MTI or Cartech or ARE.

The iron block would decrease handling and increase weight on the front end (to be correct you would have to replace the front spring with a higher rate spring).

Aluminum does cool better than iron.

Keep the iron block for your truck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LS2 is the way to go! The new LS7 will sell crate with an MSRP of like $19.5k and can be had as low as $12.5k but as good a deal as that sounds, it's only about $5.5k for a crate LS2. Considering that you'd likely be able to get a decent penny for your LS6 or could at least if your had it rebuilt to orig specs or whatnot, an LS2 is a great engine and I'd be surpirsed if the Caddy CTS-V doesn't have it next year as well.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A 6.0 Iron block weighs around 100 lbs more than a LS1/6 block. I have read reports that vary from 65-110 lbs :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts