Votes: 85 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 22.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I brought my 2003 Red Z06 (6600 miles) in for the 7500 mile check-up (and some other stuff) to Weseloh & Sons Chevrolet in San Juan Capistrano, California. This is my first visit with a Chevy car. I previously owned Hondas and a BMW M3. I was a bit nervous as I didn't know if they would treat the car like "this is the most expensive car we sell, be careful" or "what the hell, it's not that different that this Caviler."
The "transmission guy" was not there so they said I could leave it overnight and he could look at it the next day. They also informed me that the car would be inside. I agreed - bad move.
I arrived the next day to pick up my car. LUCKILY, before I left, I got back out of my car to inspect it.
A bit of info: I am EXTREMELY ANAL when it come to my car. I know every nick, spot, misalignment. The car is dusted of and covered every day at work. I have a complete detailing kit in the trunk.
When I got to the front of the car, I flipped out. It looked like someone decided to take a break and sit on the corner of the passenger headlight. Their weight bent the light cover which cracked the paint. The corner of the plastic bumper and fiberglass side panel are also not aligned. Oh, to add to this there are scratches on the back bumper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I informed the Service Mgr, General Sales Mgr, and General Mgr. The car is going to go to the body shop next week and they will supply me with a rental. The car will never be the same :(

Low Res Pic 1
Low Res Pic 2
High Res Pic 1
High Res Pic 2

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Yup, sounds about right. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
And you expected them to NOT treat it like a fibreglass cavalier? ;)

All jokes aside - I feel for you.

My car had it's badges stolen while in the dealers custody - then they scratched the hood bad enough to need a respray - and this while the car was already in for a respray to fix the botched rebadge attempt.. ;)

As I say - the worst thing about the C6 - is GM makes it and sells it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not suprising at all. At least it sounds like they didn't haggle with you about fixing the damage. Which is better than what most of us have experienced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called Chevy Consumer Complaints number:
800-222-1020
and filed a complaint.

Scratches on rear bumper are better after some polishing by hand. Will use an orbital buffer on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
464 Posts
No, this is not normal.
Usually they also road test the car and thrash it until the back end is covered in rubber dust, change the radio station, try to cover every square inch of the interior and exterior with greasy handprints, then screw up whatever they were originally supposed to repair.
You got off easy with just the normal accident damage.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
DigitalDisaster said:
No, this is not normal.
Usually they also road test the car and thrash it until the back end is covered in rubber dust, change the radio station, try to cover every square inch of the interior and exterior with greasy handprints, then screw up whatever they were originally supposed to repair.
You got off easy with just the normal accident damage.
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I waxed the car today and found the following:
1. The scratch in the back that was "buffed" out still has scratch marks = which I will need to further buff out.

2. The front and mirrors look like they have a rock chip or two. Probably from the 20 mile "joy ride" they took on the freeway to try to find the rattle in the glove box and check the transmission. In the end they said that they couldn't hear it and would tighten up the latch anyway - which fixed it. And they said there was not a problem with the tranny.

3. Tapped on the headlight cover with my finger (that they repainted) then on the other different sound = reinstalled it wrong, lose, sanded it down?

What happens for the next oil change??? Guess I need to try the dealer in Irvine, CA.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I picked up my '02 QS Z06 in Bowling Green and drove home to Northern California. On the way we stopped in Salina Kansas for the first oil change (at 850 miles.)

They had some old timer working there, and when he went to write down the VIN number he put the paper on the hood and started writing it down. I was out of the waiting room and asking LOUDLY to please stop writing on the paint. He got all pissed, and some of the "locals" looked at me weird, but whatever.

My first BRAND new car and I'm not about to let someone mess it up...

People just don't care about some things in their lifes, so why should they care about your possesions? Especially if they happen to be jealous?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I broke down and finally took my car in for warranty on the blower motor for the AC. Trying to put it off as long as possible. Semi diagnosed it myself, wish they'd have just given me the parts to fix myself. Instead I got to do some buffing on the rear deck lid from something being drug across it. And now my tuning station knob on the radio won't pop in and out anymore. No wonder we are sending jobs overseas..........quality is probably better.

·
21,394 Posts
I think we all feel your pain. When I had my Cadillac, I took it to the dealer because the heated seat quit working. They let Mr Good-yahoo tear the seat apart to pull out the heating element. They order one and when they put the seat back together the leather was stretched and looked like crap. So they order new seat skins and put them on. Leather is still loose and not the same shade. They take it to an upholstery place and the guy does his magic and it looks OK but still not right. I found out later that it was the controller that was bad and not the seat element so they wound up screwing up my seat for no reason. Needless to say, they fired the guy but that didn't help my cause. This is one reason I'm so nervous about taking my car to the dealer.

Anyway, hope they get it all sorted out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Someone please help me with this,as I may be missing something.

Why in hell do they have to do a test drive on any small adjustment they make to the car? Bill Heard Chev. replaced my battery today and they had to make a 6 mile road test. WHY? I picked up the car and it looked as if they had driven it through a tar pit. I spent all afternoon using WD-40 to get all the crap off. It's always something with these jerks everytime i go there.

Examples on these vehicles: Silverado, CTS, Z-06

lost keys, joyriding on several occasions,stripped lug nuts, overfilling with oil, driver seat in fully reclined position, radio at full volume, crap all over the car.... hell, you get the idea. And then they tell me when I pick up the car that I will receive a GM customer satisfaction survey, and if I bring it to THEM and let THEM complete it, they will give me a free oil change or some other BS. Beware Bill Heard Chev.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
TOP 10 Tricks of the trade,

1. Do it at the dealer you know.
2. Be alert and if possible watch your car being worked on.
(puts fear into them..)
3. Don't let them wash the car. I ONLY wash MY car.
4. Very specify what to fix. Even talk to the worker and explain if possible how you would like it repaired and discuss how he is going to approach and fix the repair.
5. Chevy-corvette dealer the best. IF they sell alot of them, they seem to know how to fix them and that all corvette owners are different. (we are all anal about who touches and repairs our cars..)
6. One repair at a time. Don't rush them. Accidents occur if you rush them.
7. DO NOT LEAVE CAR OVERNIGHT if possible.
8. Check ahead and see if the parts are all available before bringing the car in. (saves return trip(s) and more hassles)
9. Always talk to the service manager, be friendly.
10. Some last minute chit-chat and good words always helps. Last minute selling about.. What a nice dealership this is...!

11. Most important, inspect car before leaving and do it with the service rep besides you at your car. A complete walk around is necessary.

-Bill. :sneaky:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would have to read this post now. My car has been in the shop since Monday (4 days now) for the fuel sensor problem. This is the second time it's been back for this. I had the passenger dook lock/unlock problem first, but held off the dreaded trip to the dealer until my fuel gage dropped from 197 miles to go to "Check gages - Low fuel" within a 1 hour trip. Scheduled an appointment, dropped the car off, you'll have it back by noon. Your car is ready. No we didn't replace you sensor just flashed the computer and changed out a part in the door. Door still didn't work (showed them), and fuel level continued to screw up while awaiting more parts. Scheduled another day.

Dropped the car off a 8:30am (9am appointment). Call from the dealer at 4pm. Oh we fixed the door but the fuel is registering the correct amount. The manager is going to take it for a test drive. Swell. Last time I had to point out that after flashing the computer they drove the car for 4 miles in a 45mph speed zone at 60mph (thank you Window Valet). I didn't understand 1) having to take it on the road after a flash, wouldn't the trip from the garage to the holding lot suffice and 2) how driving 15mph over the speed limit helped to determine the car was now "fixed". A friend offered that perhaps they didn't actually run it to 60, but perhaps just spun the wheels to register 60 mph. <sigh>

Anyway, at closing time they determine I was right, the gage is not right. I'll have it back tomorrow (Tuesday). The part didn't come on Tuesday, I'll have it Wednesday. The wrong year part was delivered Wednesday, it will be overnighted and be ready Thursday...it's on a lift, wheels off, gas tank dropped.

So now it's Thursday and I'm thinking why didn't they have the sensor in the first place. I had an appointment. Did they run out of gas on their "test drive" and have to be to towed back because they ran out of gas, perhaps damaging the car in the process, the parts stories just a cover while they repair damage and paint??? I dream this stuff up on my own, but then read this message...gheesh...

Looking at the bright side, this weekend is supposed to be beautiful and I should have my ride back to enjoy it. WISH ME LUCK!!!

And of course, I feel for you. I can't believe someone would sit on your car. Unbelieveable!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I let the local Bill Heard where I bought mine fix the leaky differential (car was 1 month old). Took 2 trips and a meeting w/ the service manager to get it done right.

Next I did what I would recommend to everyone if at all possible --> called a couple of the Vette tuner shops in the area and asked their advice on warranty work. They BOTH sent me to the same service manager, Andy @ Courtesy chevrolet (Orlando) and my next issue (passenger window trim not well sealed at the factory so leaking in the rain) was repaired properly the first time.

I now drive 35 miles past three other Chevy dealers just to get warranty work.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Luckily i have a good working relationship with my dealer. Have been buying from them for 20 years now. We have an understanding when i bring my Vettes in, i am the only one to drive it. I drive it into the bay, stay in the bay while the mechanic of my choice works on them. Drive them out of the bay and take the mechanic for a drive to make sure it is fixed to my statisfaction. If you let your car at a dealership, you are usually asking for trouble. They love to do, the so called, Test Drive, that is Trash Drive. Then you have some kid who usually changes the oil, put hand prints and drip oil in the engine bay. Not to mention the nicks on the doors from opening them against the lifts in the bays. So if you can find a good dealer, don't let them go, worth their weight in gold. Plus if you get to know and use one dealer, they really go out of their way to make all right, at any cost.
Jack

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
MREUS said:
What happens for the next oil change???
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I've had my fair share also. I finally found a good dealer, after getting rid of 3! And I think this one only treats me well because my company buys about 1 or 2 vans from them a month.

My advise: Do your own maintenance from now on. I have only gone to the dealer for warranty work that is absolutely necessary. Part of the joy of owning these cars, is learning how to work on them. Fluid changes are easy enough and it feels great when you drive something that is maintained by you.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts