Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed cutouts to my c6z and was looking at installing headers and x pipe for the performance benefits and sound. But since I had cutouts I wouldn’t want to spend any extra $$ on an aftermarket muffler and tips. But would this cause any issues and say in the future if I was going to get a tune would there being any issues with the amount of airflow changing when the cutouts are open and close? Thanks and sorry if I asked any dumb questions.

·
21,354 Posts
Unless you are adding other power enhancers such as a cam and heads, etc., it wouldn't be worth the added expense. The stock exhaust manifolds flow really well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed cutouts to my c6z and was looking at installing headers and x pipe for the performance benefits and sound. But since I had cutouts I wouldn’t want to spend any extra $$ on an aftermarket muffler and tips. But would this cause any issues and say in the future if I was going to get a tune would there being any issues with the amount of airflow changing when the cutouts are open and close? Thanks and sorry if I asked any dumb questions.
After I installed headers and x pipe on my C6 Z06, and removed the cats, I blew out two sets of factory mufflers. I spoke with a Corvette engineer about it, and he said the headers were the culprit. I'm now running Corsa mufflers, like them, and get a lot of compliments on the car's exhaust note.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
As mentioned the stock exhaust manifolds for your Z06 are a good design and not losing performance
Handle the higher output of ZR1 so do not waste your money nor effect smog tests or rules

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Katech Stage 2 (heads, cam, intake, tune, etc) with all original stock headers, exhaust, x pipe (2011), and stock mufflers. 540 rwhp. Sounds and performs great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll disagree. A quality set of headers (Kooks or American Racing) with high flow cats and X pipe work well with the factory mufflers. If you can find a set of ZR1 factory mufflers they are slightly better.
I will agree that you can run a modified motor through the factory exhaust manifolds and mufflers, but you are giving up some power at the higher rpm range. The only reason to do this is because you live in an area that requires inspection and will not allow headers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts