Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love HUD, but know you couldnt get it from the factory on the 01 cars. ANy idea if it is possible for a consumer to have one installed on a model that didnt come with it from the factory? Anyone know? thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Contact Austin Corvette ( in Austin TX) the owners name :z: is Gary if anyone knows he will or he can direct you to someone who can find the answer. HUD is a must since I've had it on my last two vettes.
Bill

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Oh, why did you guys have to go and start talking about this. My 01 doesn't have HUD and I kinda wish it did.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Oh, why did you guys have to go and start talking about this. My 01 doesn't have HUD and I kinda wish it did.
That's good Norm, now you can spend another weekend together, just the 2 of you.... :lol:
Bob

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I did it.....just plug & play. You need to buy a HUD "switch" to control all of the functions. The dash top needs to be removed (windshield does NOT need to be removed). Dash cut is easy, as there are lines to cut along already in place.

I got a 2004 windshield, as my car was being custom painted and the original was pitted. Insurance paid all of that cost(like maybe $1,500.00 retail). It will work OK on a non-hud windshield, but there could be a slight glare problem under certain sunlight conditions.

I got my HUD from a Corvette used parts guy in New Jersery. If I remember correctly it cost me $600.00. Bought the switch from GM parts direct. HUD unit was in perfect shape and it came from a 2001 Coupe. I believe all the HUD units are the same from 1999 to 2004, but it would be smart to check with your local Chevy Parts guy to be safe.

There is also Gene's used Corvette parts in Florida, and I called him first, but he didn't have one at that time. Just do a search on "used corvette parts" to find these guys, or, of course, you could buy a new HUD unit, but I think they are much more expensive.

HTH :thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
ALot of people have asked about this. Goodluck with the project !

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Lots of people have done this themselves.
I have a good friend who did it, and said it was not too bad.

I think Ed (Panzer) did this too. He can give you a 1st hand account.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My parents' '99 has it and I always turn it off. I have no need for it. When racing you don't look at the speedo, and the tach is too odd to follow, that and the shif light is too late to matter.

I dunno if you'll need a different unit being that a z06 has a higher rev limit and different shift "light" than a coupe.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
If you guys have time, can you post part numbers for all the items needed? I'd appreciate it.

Norm
10279814 – HUD - 175.00
12198648 – Switch - 66.10
10425223 – Bezel - 16.80

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I had the HUD installed on my 2001 Z06 in about an hour? Maybe it was two....

Cost 600 installed..(including all the needed parts)

Cool mod...

Plugs right in...

Go for it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good I'm saving $600 by doing the install myself....That's just about the cost of new F1 supercar tires for the rear :coo:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
We did it in the garage...

one of the corvette owners here didn't want his hud..and needed a non cut dash pad..

I wanted the hud so we swapped out..

This HUD plugs right in..and then you just reassemble the parts taken off to get the dash pad off...

When you take the stock dash pad off...and look underneath...

You can see exactly where you need to cut the dash pad...

We didn't cut because we just swapped dash pads...

Rob Ferretti pulled his dash apart a few times for various items....so this was not a big deal.

I watched....shot the shit...threw him 600 bucks and the car has HUD...

I think it was two hours. No fuss..no muss.

For $600 bucks installed its a cool mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts