Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 Z06 is it 385 or 405 and what is the diff. between the 01 Ls6 and the 02 Ls6

The car has a borla exhst and a aftmkt maf sensor other
than the k&n thats it

What can a good set of heads cam and headers produce
anyone have a vendor kit in mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks cd.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
the 01 is 385hp and the 02-04 are rated at 405hp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
screwed

The fenders have the 405 emblems on them I am not that concerned due to the perform. upgrades I have in mind
I will get It there in time !!!!!!!!!!!!!! car only has 20k on it !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
First: Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Lessee ... 02ff badges on an 01 ??? :screwy:
Differences from 01 to 02 are summarized in the second link from the top on left. 63.01/02 specs.
If it has a K&N, it might have the 02 airbox with larger opening
Lots of threads to search for h/c, headers, etc. :idea:
Color?
Pics?
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
VETTE FANS RECEIVE HISTORIC POWER BOOST
PONTIAC, Mich. - The 2002 5.7-liter Overhead Valve (OHV) LS6 engine for the ZO6 Corvette will be rated at 405 horsepower. The increase of 20 horsepower equates to 71 horsepower per liter in this 5665 cc engine - the highest output yet in a Gen III small-block.

The new LS6 V8 delivers 405 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 400 lb-ft of torque at 4800 rpm. To achieve this additional power the engine received modifications including a revised air cleaner housing, low restriction Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, lightweight valves, higher lift camshaft and an exhaust alteration.

The component modifications that enable the additional 20 horsepower and 15 lb-ft of torque (compared to 2001) all focus on getting more air into and out of the engine. Increasing the volume of air in and out ultimately creates more power.

Air first enters through the air cleaner housing. The new air box opening to the air cleaner increases by approximately 6.65 square inches (43 cm2). This additional Volume contributes to more horsepower.

The new MAF sensor no longer has pre-sensor grid work known as air channels. Induction air thus flows less restricted through the mass air flow sensor and into the intake manifold.

Gases flowing into and out of the combustion chamber pass by new hollow stem valves. The stems of the exhaust valves are filled with a liquid sodium alloy. Since the exhaust valves operate at a much higher temperature than the intake valves, the liquid alloy enables better transference of heat from the exhaust valves to the valve guides and then to the engine coolant. The valves reduce valvetrain mass by approximately 368 grams. This lighter weight allows the valves to keep contact with the cam at higher speeds.

The new cam profile is the greatest contributor for the increased power. The new profile allows the intake and exhaust valves to open .7 mm further. This key change enables more air to be pumped in and out, which equates to more power. Each camshaft is induction hardened and straightened to an accuracy of ten microns to ensure it spins true in the engine. All 16 lobes are inspected using opto-electrical technology with submicron level precision.

For 2002, the ZO6 will eliminate the use of dual pup catalytic converters found immediately downstream from the exhaust manifolds. Eliminating these converters allows for increased exhaust flow out of the engine. The under floor catalytic converters have been modified to make up for the pup converters and still meet NLEV emissions standards.

With 405 horsepower the LS6 will match the highest peak power level of the legendary 5.7-liter DOHC LT5 which powered the ZR1 Corvette from 1990-1995. For OHV V8 fans and the engineering community this is a significant milestone.

The LS6 was made possible by using the Gen III architecture introduced in the 1997 LS1. This new small-block variation included features such as a deep skirt aluminum block, cross-bolted mains, internally balanced crank, electronic throttle control and coil-near-plug ignition. The Gen III small block retained the simplicity of OHV design and built in appropriate advanced engine technologies.

Commenting on the new power level Assistant Chief Engineer John Juriga said: "With the advent of the '02 OHV LS6, GM Powertrain continues to prove its ability to deliver power and performance in a small package and exceed customer expectations."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head/cam New Programmmmmmm

So With Yeee Headers Cam And Larger Valved Heads The 405 Figure Would Be Blown Away Poss
455 460 At The Crank Of Course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Could Burn Those 405 Plastics And Customize New
Ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This Is All If The Tuners Can Get It
Correct At Atl. Chassis Dyno They Usually Do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HARRYX24 said:
I just purchased a 2001 Z06 is it 385 or 405 and what is the diff. between the 01 Ls6 and the 02 Ls6?
Can you tell us what the 8th digit [from the left] on your VIN is, eg, is it a "G" or an "S"...?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had an 01' and now have an 02.' In all honesty I believe my "slower" 01' was definitely faster than my 02' is. There really isn't much difference as far as power is concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ls6 8th Is An S Car Seems Fast Impressive
I Owned A Lt1 Camero Once But It Wasn,t Like This

This Is Cool Fast -------- Like Shift At 6k And It Busts Loose
Sideways This Is Cool At My Age ---the Big 30 I Have Much More Appr. For Power Like This At 22 With My Z28 I Gave It Hell And
Destroyed It In 6 Months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Can Not Beleive It Took Me 10 Years To Buy One Of These !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!stupid Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
HARRYX24 said:
I Can Not Beleive It Took Me 10 Years To Buy One Of These !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!stupid Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No offense to you, but I think you should have used the money to get some schooling. Those past two posts are some of the worst posts, grammatically, that I have ever seen. :screwy: :screwy:

I am still trying to decipher the language you speak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea You Are Correct Can`t Spell Or Evan Read Real
Well , You Could Have Told Me This Was Speeling 101
Maybe You Should Test People Before They Enter The Forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think Harry is just overly excited about his new z06!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yea You Are Correct Can`t Spell Or Evan Read Real
Well , You Could Have Told Me This Was Speeling 101
Maybe You Should Test People Before They Enter The Forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harry. Its been awhile now--did you go back to school or achieve the 445 h/p

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
What does spelling have to do with going fast?

I have a 2001 Z and it also runs really strong. All I has is LG headers and a Vararam.
Thanks for posting up ... gives us a chance to say "howdy" and give a belated welcome to :z:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks,

Some of the older guys that taught me the most about cars and engines were what some people might call slow.

But with a car they were masters, I try my best to do all my own work and I have found that no one no matter how much I pay them will give my car the care and attention to detail that I do.

I know I don't post much but I couldn't help but chime in on this one, I enjoy this forum and others because I get to learn from other owners experience both good and bad.

Picking on someone doesn't do any good in fact it can be very stifling.

I for one would like to say to everyone on here thanks for everything you do to make our cars more enjoyable.

John Vaught

1 - 20 of 22 Posts