Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some input from all of you who have owned a 2001 ZO6 and now own a 2002.

I have a 01 QS/Black ZO6 which I purchased new about 11 months ago. The car is immaculate, and only has 662 miles on it. I am very happy with it, although I've always wanted the MY color.

I have an agreement with a dealer to take my car in on trade for a brand new, loaded 02 MY ZO6. The price to upgrade into the 02, including my trade-in, all rebates, taxes, luxury tax, plate transfer, etc., is $10,000 plus change. I have until the end of the day Friday to let him know whether or not I want to make the deal.

I definately like the idea of the MY color, the increased horsepower, and the heads up display. I've also read that the exhaust sounds better, and the airbox design has been improved (not a concern of mine since I have the Donaldson). My cars are strictly trailer queens - no track time or 1/4 mile sprints.

Is it worth upgrading to the MY 02? Your quick responses would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds shadey

Never in a million years! The dealer is trying to give it to you and I'm not saying this because I too have an '01. If anything wait until the C6 or the 50th anniversary car. As far as I'm concerned the difference is not worth that much.

-Todd

·
Registered
764 Posts
Michigan,

I have had both an 01 and 02. The decision to change or upgrade is a personal one, no matter what anyone else says.

There is a slight perfomance increase and some nice subtle improvements made to the 02. HUD is nice but not worth trading your 01 for. The exhaust note does sound good. It sounds like their giving you a reasonable trade in value but your deal takes into consideration the $2K rebate. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 02 or the MY, but the $10K hit is up to you.

If you have to have yellow, then you should do it. Why don't you test drive it?

I have a question for you. Will you be happy with your 02 if GM makes more improvements (ie. 425 HP) for 03 in five months?

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
My way of thinking

It gets down to how much disposable income you have available. If $10,000 is more or less pocket change, then I would go for it. If you have to finance it, I would think twice & wait for the C6. Just my thoughts.

ZDOG

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree..it's your money and if you have to have MY, HUD and the 02...then by all means spend it. The dealer is killing you, but these cars just do not hold value. Nevertheless, it has cost you over $900 per month just to drive the car if you trade it, so money cannot be that hard for you to come by.
I own an 01 (since March 2001) and frequently (more than mine) drive an 02. I notice virtually no overly apparent difference in performance. Color is a personal choice. But hey...you drive the car about 15 miles per week! The sound of the 02 is a bit different.
My opinion...wait for the next generation ZO6 Vette.
Best personal regards,
ZZERO6

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I would never sell my 01. This is the first time GM has offered the ZO6 in over 30 years. I'd rather wait 5 years or so, then buy another one, by then maybe 500+ HP. Then I'll have 2 ZO6's in my garage. YEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's just $10k, if you can afford it, then just do it, you'll sleep better over the weekend.

:cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
662 miles in 11 months.......your '01 is barely broken in. Just me, but I would spend a few dollars in mods and enjoy the '01 until either the price of the '02 comes down or even wiat for the C6. Then again, I don't have 10K burning a whole in my pocket....if i did, might be a different story.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Michigun

It's your $$$$.........
But, no matter HOW much you have, you cannot justify dropping 10 large, when you only have 662, miles on an '01.........
It is not a REASONABLY close decision IMHO.......
IF, you drove it a couple of C miles a week.........ok, if you have the Jack.......
But, I think you would be much better served, either (A), waiting a couple of months, or (B), waiting on the '03's........
As I read it, if you are prepared to take that kind of loss(considering the factors), then the rebate is NOT that big a deal to you.............
WAIT, and see if the '03's have more Oomph, or other features you would like to have waited on............;)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Delayed gratification can be very rewarding.

MY 2 cents. No pun Intended.

:D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
10 Grand is not a great deal on the trade up to an 02.

I have also toyed with the idea of upgrading to an 02. I have 6200 miles on mine and was told by the first dealer I spoke with that I can trade up for about $9500.00. This is without any negotiation at all, so I am sure with a little talk I could do even better. I decided against making the upgrade at this time.

So the choice is yours to trade up to an 02 or not.

My point and opinion is that you can probably do better than 10K on the upgrade.

Good luck, Rollin

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also trading my 01 in for an 02 this weekend. Same color, red, but the upgrade in HP and the HUD gave me the push to make the trade. I had considered an EB, but the red is still my color.

With the GM discount, 5.9 financing and a fair trade-in value on my 01, the difference was around $3900 over four year financing.

Does anyone know of a good deal on hauling trailers? The dealership is about 125 miles away, and here in Michigan ... you've got it ... it decided to snow finally, making the drive with my 01 and return with the new 02 a bit more difficult.

My computer is acting up, so if you receive a similiar post, please ignore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bottom line is, it's your money.
You know your going to drop a large chunk of that 10k on the '02 when the '03 comes out.
I purchased mine in Dec. '01 and could have got an '02 if I wanted one, but the extra cost over an '01 made no sense to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No way! I'm suprised noone has mentioned how nice your 01 would be with 10 grand in mods. ATI pro charger? Some nice wheels? heads/cam package? keep the car and start putting some mods on there, once you get mod fever you won't even care 01 or 02. Unless you are dead set on staying stock ( even then I would hold on to the 01) it won't matter once you start adding some speed parts. I thnk you need to go test drive an 02 and see for yourself. The 02s have some nice improvements but I think once you test drive an 02 you will see not 10Gs worth.
my 2 cents

Steve:)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I say no way....If you got 10 grand burning a whole in your pocket then mod your car!!! 10 grand worth the mads would put you way past the 405 mark.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep the 01

Only 662 miles? Am I the only Z06 owner that is not concerned with mileage. I bought the Z06 to drive it, and I plan on keeping it for a really long time. I usally get 200,000 miles out of most of my cars before any major repairs. Anyway, 10 grand is not worth the upgrade, I just love my 01, even with 20,000 miles on it. Call me crazy.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If the money is not a big thing, you should do it. To me, the most major motivation for doing it would be if your '01 is an oil burner. Given your present mileage, it's likely too soon to tell. If you do decide to trade up, I'd get a second offer from another dealer for comparison.

Jacob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thanks for everyone's comments and confusing me even more:-? . It seems like the majority of you favor keeping the 01 instead of going for the MY 02 - a suggestion I can't argue with.

As far as the deal goes, I'm reasonably happy with the $10K upgrade. I'm being given $40K as a trade on a car that I bought at GMS, which had an out-the-door price of $44,300. The MY ZO6 is being sold at $2,600 off MSRP, which, when you add tax and luxury tax totals $52,300. After deducting the $2,000 rebate and the trade, the net cost ends up at $10,300. From what I've seen on the forums and what I've found in calling MANY dealers, $2,600 off MSRP along with the $2,002 rebate is pretty good on a Millenium Yellow vehicle.

Anyway, your thoughts are greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I'll be awake most of the night trying to make a decision as to which way to go.

Thanks again
:cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have considered the upgrade but can't justify $10K. But if I were to do it; it would be MY! Since you don't drive it too much, I would wait and go with a 2003(if by then you still have the itch). They will probably still have MY and it will be a 50th year Vette, and I doubt that the spread would be much more than $10k. In the meantime, $10k would get you HRE wheels on your Quiksilver. They would look awesome! And you can always sell them later if you upgrade or keep for next car...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts