Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The concept is great, I was just wondering if it is accurate. Thanks

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
First off I don't own one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But if you're going to use it to test the effectiveness of your mods, it is probably a wise investment. To perform this job, it doesn't even have to be "accurate", as long as it is consistent in it's measurements. That way you'll know if your mods are generating more hp, faster acceleration, better deceleration, etc. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I have heard you have to make sure your test track is very level.

My $.02

Vince

T

·
0 Posts

On 2001-06-25 16:24, xmuni spewed forth this drivel:
The concept is great, I was just wondering if it is accurate. Thanks
IMHO, it is a piece of jumk.
I have had two of them, the first stunk and the owner of that company talked me into upgrading to the pro vrrsion claiming the newer version would be better. It also is crap.

• 1. Consider the unit has to be installed perfectly level.
    The unit is far smaller then a pack of smokes, weighs in ounces, yet it's power cord weighs more causing alignment failures,

2. Once unit is turned off, it has no CMOS, thus anything that was programmed is lost and you then have to take the unit off the windshield every time and set the weight of the car and then hassle getting the unit aligned to level again.

3. There is only 1 3 position switch ( which also you have to push the switch for even more modes) so small in size, it is almost the size of a match stick head. Try using the sucker while driving, if you screw up and slide the switch just a bit wrong and it ends up in the off power position. Add the fact that when you touch the swtich, the dang unit then drops out of alignment.

4. Uses a small LCD screen that in most cases cannot be seen in the sunlight.

5. Being the unit is so cheap in design, you have to tilt the unit at an angle just to set car's weight and thus everytime you have to go through that procedure you do not get the same results as a common because unit is no longer aligned the same.

6. When I tested it with my ZR-1 Corvette, it reported HP less then 175 HP, when asking the vendor owner why, his answer was the ZR-1 was to powerful for his product. Now in testing this unit with my Mallett 450, I get same results with a different unit then I used for the ZR-1.

7. Crap suction cups mounting, due to power cord weight and it moving around causes the unit to pop off the windshield while your driving !

IMHO, it's a toy and belongs in a box of cracker jacks.
I never once got it to read anywhere near the real performance numbers of the cars I tested it with.

Once I was stopped by a cop because he thought it was a radar detector in a state that outlaws them.

T

·
0 Posts

On 2001-06-25 18:33, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
teamzr1,

Nice review!! I like your directness and honesty!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

The only way to fly, report it as I see it and esp when I spend a long time period and many tests before I throw something on the junk box in the garage.
As they say you get what you pay for. 140 bucks was the cost, heck that would have been many times at the drags paid for or at least a couple of good sessions on the chassie dyno.

I knew I was out of the green backs when I called the vendor to ask questions and no answer several times and then owner answered the phone:(

If it was a good design, I assure you the U.S airforce would buy a ton of them /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teamzr1, thank you, you just saved me $140

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a different opinion. Mine worked great. I read the booklet that came with it and followed it to the T and it came through with dead on results. I guess i got the good one and the other guy got the lemon.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would love to get an after market HUD. I don't like the looks of the display and I think someone else said it's hard to see in sunlight

J

·
0 Posts
Have to tell you the accuracy is astounding.

I ran a g-tech at englishtown ...probably a total of 50 runs at least..

Soup to nuts this thing is on target every time..it got so I could easily calculate my timeslips before I got the timeslip from the timing booth.

My testing showed..the gtech was accurate and consistant. I was between .11 and .09 seconds slow every time and 3.8 to 4 mph fast every time with the gtech.

For my car..set up as instructed by the small manual..this thing was dead on and consistant..I just subtracted 3.8 to 4 mph for the trap speed as well as .1 on et..

Very good for learning proper launch technique using 0 to 60 mph testing..

Just an fyi..what feels fast with the rear sliding around is slooooow 5.5 and what feels slow with just a chirp...gives 4.64's.

Thats the one advantage of an A4 ..its easy to learn to launch..you guys with ZO6's deserve a lot of credit..its hard to perfect launch but once you do..and you do it consistant..

You rule the sports car world..

Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts