Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article at the following address:

http://www.men360.com/em_0101_001.asp

Says "The bulletproof six speed gearbox found in the Corvette is the same found in the Dodge Viper." Does anyone know how accurate this is. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
198 Posts
It isn't true. Although we have the same manufacturer of the trans. The LS1 equipped cars have the same gear ratios as the Viper, the Z-06 cars have gears slightly lower than the Viper's. Also the Viper's internals are a bit beefier.

For performance our Z-06 tran's are better. For Durability the Viper Trans gets the nod.

Peace,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Both the Corvette and the Viper us the Termec T56, however, there are significant differences in the gearboxes supplied by Tremec for the two applications.

For one, the Viper has the trans. behing the engine and the Corvette uses a transaxle assembly. That makes a fundamental difference in the two trannies right there.

There are also differences in ratios and probably, since the Vipers 8L engine produces more torque, differences in materials.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I thought there had to be some differences but I was not sure. I mean I have a hard enough time keeping up with the Z06. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts